Bachmann Class 37 409 DRS

smg201

One of the squarish engine room windows is plated over on the prototype. Google Image* this and 37423 or its ilk to check.

I'd post some links but I'm rapidly losing the will to live.

* or similar

This is how the real engine looks, if the problem is that the frame is there and the livery has been printed over the window rather than having a flat pannel as per the picture, then get a knife and trim the frame off and carefully fill and paint it in.

At least we have the model "Thank you ModelRail" for taking the trouble to have it produced, if you dont like the model now you have it you can allways sell it on, I'm sure there are plenty that were to late to order one.

post-6665-0-67131100-1322754044_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-07097500-1322754785_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-30722400-1322755070_thumb.jpg

Pete

It's not a decal, for a start, it's printed. Show me where it said it was new tooling, please. Otherwise, withdraw these comments.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris,

As you will notice from my post, i said..... "i'm sure when they first advertised it in the magazine" - so that is where i remember reading it. I never claimed to be 100% sure. I just think its a missed opportunity, but i'm sure there were good reasons (cost?) to not do it. Hell its selling bucketloads, people clearly love it, so i wouldn't let me bother you.

I always thought forums were for opinions, and that is mine. Hardly the worst post in the world was it?

As Pete Harvey quite rightly says thanks for producing the model. People can vote with their wallets. I have voted with mine - i have bought one because its perfect to redo as 37423, but i couldn't tolerate the window error as 409 but clearly plenty are happy with it and good luck to them.

Cheers,

Andi.

It may be worth mentioning that several of us did not jump in and criticise you or Olivias when the painted samples of the EM1 were shown which makes the tone of your post grate even more than it does on its own.

Just to be clear - I have nothing to do with Olivias - I was just asked to paint the early unpainted samples to make them look more realistic - and I am more than happy for you to criticise my painting skills if you want to.

Cheers,

Andi.

This is how the real engine looks, if the problem is that the frame is there and the livery has been printed over the window rather than having a flat pannel as per the picture, then get a knife and trim the frame off and carefully fill and paint it in.

Pete,

Are you going to have a crack at that then (pardon the pun)?

Be interested to see the results.

Cheers,

Andi.

To be fair it wasn't the painting skills Andi; more the loco's faults, distorted grilles and the way it sat on the bogies.

Tell me about it...... you should try dismantling them, putting them back together (and clipping it in right so it looked right on the bogies which i never achieved!) and trying not to lose the grilles as they flew off the bodyside every 2 seconds...... not to mention the pantograph disintegrating everytime you touched it. Fingers crossed the production models are better. although they look far too clean from the pictures i have seen!

Cheers,

Andi.

• RMweb Gold

well mine arrived this afternoon at about 3pm along with the vi-trains drs 47, got to say well worth the wait, one of the most stunning looking locos i've purchased for a long time, i do have a soft spot for them of course as i used to work for drs....

anyway, popped up to see 250BOB and have a play with is layout, took lord hinton and a couple of flasks, oh and a spare dcc sound chip with bryan's 37/4 sounds on so while bob was playing trains i fitted the loco with sound, a nice 5 min job, did the 47 too!!

here is a quick vid i took on the i-phone

to put it bluntly i couldn't give a crap about the bodyside window, the loco is a beauty

well done all involved with this commission

great vid jim, likewise the window issue doesn't bother me either, glad they printed over the window rather than leaving it transparent which does help hide a minor tooling issue . The window is likely only plated on the prototype to aid the application of the DRS vinyl anyway and like Andi says is unique to 409 only so a re-tool would be useless to anything but this particular limited loco. If anything using the standard body aided its quick release.

Its my personal opinion that the reason Bachmann have steered well clear of DRS 37's before is because of these loco specific modifications that make them too individual and non standard from their original design.

perhaps we should create a list of the possible DRS tractors that Bachmann could do without the need for a re-tool.

great vid jim, likewise the window issue doesn't bother me either, glad they printed over the window rather than leaving it transparent which does help hide a minor tooling issue . The window is likely only plated on the prototype to aid the application of the DRS vinyl anyway and like Andi says is unique to 409 only so a re-tool would be useless to anything but this particular limited loco. If anything using the standard body aided its quick release.

Its my personal opinion that the reason Bachmann have steered well clear of DRS 37's before is because of these loco specific modifications that make them too individual and non standard from their original design.

perhaps we should create a list of the possible DRS tractors that Bachmann could do without the need for a re-tool.

I was thinking about this especially as DRS have all the remaining 37/4's on their books and some are being refurbished, obviously 423 is a bit of special case having the Wipacs, I wonder how many more will be outshopped like 409 ??

Well so far I have fitted the Nameplates, Snowploughs and Jumper Cable and Dummy Screwlinks

Just waiting on some pipework, then this will be fitted and the buffers painted

As for the side window, not an issue for me , Excellent DRS Model to go along with my other DRS Models

Thanks Model Rail !

A typical tooling alteration is £10,000+ and is not recoverable over 500/750 models without pushing the final price too high. I think its called compromise. CHRIS LEIGH

Fair enough Chris - I have got mine now and the finish is superb, and will be a perfect model of 37423 for me. Hopefully Harry's boys won't do anymore filling on the other /4s to come and then i can buy a couple more for renumbering!

Cheers,

Andi.

I am beyond chuffed with my DRS 37 409 :D Brilliant that Model Rail did the livery, looks spot on to me. Though I shall confess i know nothing about Class 37s, I do see them about the next work and the modelled version looks cracking hauling my FNA or Network Rail Mk2.

As this model has sold so quickly, I wonder shall we see another running number. I have seen a ViTrains Compass DRS, but not sure how it could match a Bachmann?

Looking forward to the next MR limited Network Rail coach now to finish off my inspection rake.

Thanks MR, great that there is someone out there commissioning models I want :)

A typical tooling alteration is £10,000+ and is not recoverable over 500/750 models without pushing the final price too high. I think its called compromise.

CHRIS LEIGH

Erm, £10,000 is definitely recoverable with 500 models. A loco costs £100 so 500 models would be £50,000. Bit of a profit there maybe, that is why they do these Limited Editions, profit. So what your saying doesn't really make sense. But if Bachmann didn't want to change then tooling, then it's up to them. Many people have bought these, some will stay as they are, some will be modified, so I don't see what your getting at.

Robert.

• RMweb Premium

Erm, £10,000 is definitely recoverable with 500 models. A loco costs £100 so 500 models would be £50,000. Bit of a profit there maybe, that is why they do these Limited Editions, profit. So what your saying doesn't really make sense. But if Bachmann didn't want to change then tooling, then it's up to them. Many people have bought these, some will stay as they are, some will be modified, so I don't see what your getting at.

Robert.

£10000 over 500 models works out at £20 per model extra on top of the standard model.

How much is a standard Bachmann 37 at RRP? A quick look at Bachmann's website has £84.55 and £95 for their latest release.

So the £85 for non-subscribers and £76.50 for subscribers looks like a good deal.

Get one while you can, they're still showing available on the website. One sold on ebay last week for over £100............................ :stinker:

Cheers,

Mick

Robert.

I'm not going to go into commercial pricing policy but your view is somewhat simplistic. I said a typical re-tooling was £10,000 plus. That is based on the tool being designed to accept a modification in the first place. Otherwise it's a complete re-tool. I understand that the 37 tool accepts changed end tools but not sides. Also, in your £100 (which you seem to be assuming is all profit apart from tooling costs) you need to remember that VAT is 20% and that there is also the unit cost to bear in mind, and in our prices, post packing and handling, too. In the end, I can assure you, the additional tooling cost is NOT recoverable over 500 models because the market would not stand the price required. There is also the question of whether the manufacturer is willing to alter a tool to make one specific loco, as it cannot then be alterred back to make all the others in the class.

CHRIS LEIGH

It reports its type back as a V4.0 so it should have the correct speaker.

Hi guys

Following Ian's comment above, can anyone confirm which sound file is loaded? I presume it'll be SWD but are they the latest file with the cold start etc?

Tks

Martin

Quick update to the above, I've just received my sound version and I'm well happy with it. It does have SWD sound files but no cold start function. No problem as Caroline at SWD said they can reblow it to incorporate this.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to go into commercial pricing policy but your view is somewhat simplistic. I said a typical re-tooling was £10,000 plus. That is based on the tool being designed to accept a modification in the first place. Otherwise it's a complete re-tool. I understand that the 37 tool accepts changed end tools but not sides. Also, in your £100 (which you seem to be assuming is all profit apart from tooling costs) you need to remember that VAT is 20% and that there is also the unit cost to bear in mind, and in our prices, post packing and handling, too. In the end, I can assure you, the additional tooling cost is NOT recoverable over 500 models because the market would not stand the price required. There is also the question of whether the manufacturer is willing to alter a tool to make one specific loco, as it cannot then be alterred back to make all the others in the class.

CHRIS LEIGH

InterestIng stuff Chris. So does that mean that the REX 37/7s would have been completely new tools then, more than likely?

InterestIng stuff Chris. So does that mean that the REX 37/7s would have been completely new tools then, more than likely?

I don't know enough about 37s to be sure but if they are markedly different from the standard Bachmann 37s, then, yes, they would be completely new tools. I think, knowing Phil's desire for 100% accuracy, that is very likely.

Incidentally, I understand that our DRS 37s are down to the last handful of sound-equipped ones. They may well be sold out by now. Look at for another new SATLINK vehicle being announced in the next issue.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived