A diorama or two by Sandhills

Sandhills

Those photographs of that trackwork bar none, have to be the most realistic I have ever seen. I have stood in that exact spot at Carlisle, you have captured it perfectly.

How can someone comment that the overhead catenary wire is 0.003 whatever too thick??

This is truly inspirational modelling.

Cheers,

Lee.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't looked at this thread for a while, but I'm just stunned... :O

Raising the bar is one thing but I think you've put it beyond the reach of most of us! :sungum:

Truly excellent work, that image of the 153 is so realistic. The fact that you've made even off the shelf Peco track look so good says a lot. :clapping:

Well - this thread is fast running out of superlatives....

My old Dad is an 85 year old war veteran who was stationed with the Border Regiment in Carlisle at the end of WW2 recognized your wall image as he passed through so many times - he thought the colours were incorrect and too light and more reddish to match a lot of the familiar stone of the area - then I showed him the colour image!

Good.

Just sat here looking at the photo's thinking thats a nice shot of a 37......not thats a nice model!......,Sandhills your have to stop putting real photo's up as model's.

Just stunning!, may have to ask you for some class's in weathering.

Well done keep them coming.

Darren

Thanks for all the comments guys, Tase, the ballast is by Carrs. Its 2mm light grey scatter secured using Copydex. Im sure its widely available but I source mine from C&L Finescale.

Not a lot to report this week due to playing landlords and looking after the village pub while the real gaffer goes on a well earned rest ! Will be home by Thursday night and hopefully a big fat box of new stock will be waiting for me to get cracking on.

The Kingmoor Pilot made an appearance at the weekend -

post-6667-0-69817300-1331645587.jpg

post-6667-0-49638800-1331645608.jpg

post-6667-0-00048500-1331645652.jpg

Dear Jon,

I have found your work truly inspirational, as I hope you know. Although I am finding my own capabilities in the area of diorama creation decidely lacking, it is something that I would wish to improve. I've been trying to plan a simple depot diorama scene, possibly with an adjacent running line... a pseudo emulation of your depot diorama (board 5?) but in a different setting. A bit like a cross between this and Jim S-W's photo plank. However, I'm lacking the big picture planning inspiration and have thrown away several plans so far. I've tried templot... but for this, so far the pencil and paper has seemed more free-flowing... it's just not delivering the results I'd hoped for.

So, I was wonderign whether you had any "overview" photos of your creations. I think I saw some early photos of your split level diorama (with the viaduct)... but I can't find those now. seeing some of these... and some more "inbuild" shots would be really useful. If you'd rather only keep to the atmospheric shots, then ok. But I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

(your fan)

Jon

Guest jim s-w

How can someone comment that the overhead catenary wire is 0.003 whatever too thick??

Hi Lee

That was 0.05mm actually. Now to put that in context that's an error of 20%. It's no extra effort to build with the right sized materials so please dont try to belittle those who care about doing something properly because at the end of the day if you really think it's ok to get something wrong by 20% for no other reason than you can't be bothered to get the right stuff in the first place that's not really all that clever is it?

Cheers

Jim

My eyesight would not distinguish 0.05mm from viewing distance. Anyway, is a 20% increase probably better from a purely functional reason for strength and tension etc? Not that I will ever model overhead as I know my limits!

Just looking at the various plastic fences etc that are sold in great numbers, I would say lots of modellers have already made their minds up to go with utility rather than accurate aesthetically pleasing. I think most models are a compromise between scale accuracy and the need to be handled by 1:1 thumbs.

Now, having said all that, I am expecting that the overhead on New Street will be accurate as that is Jim's claim to fame and good for him, but for me, 0.05mm would not lose me any sleep as I know I am not capable of distinguishing it or modelling that particular aspect of a model anyway.

I will now go back to enjoying the fantastic photos of an 08 that really does look Just Like The Real Thing! (Particularly the first photo.)

Morning Jon,

I'll keep this simple !

Without a shadow of a doubt there's only one place u should base your diorama on or at least use as inspiration,

There's a wealth of pics and info on the net with atmosphere in abundance,

It fits your stock, era and style of modelling, offers mainline and depot views in one package,

The Urbex site was my best find when I googled it last night trying to find u an idea,

I'll leave u to discover and research the initial idea as that's all part of the fun,

All I'll say is..............52A

Over to you !

Regards

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Apart from everything else, I'm so impressed with (1) the way you handle the outdoor lighting, (2) the angles and the positioning of the stock and (3) those minute details that are normally the give-aways (eg subtle irregularities in the stonework etc). Not to mention how you've made the Peco track look!

So, I was wonderign whether you had any "overview" photos of your creations.

I would love to see that too for educational purposes. Assuming of course that it doesn't breach the contract that you magicians sign, where you promise never to reveal your tricks :-)

Hi Jim.

If it looks right, it is right. Personally, I find more important things in life to be concerned about than a 20% accuracy error in the thickness of a piece of cable.

Calling someone stupid for it is also a little bit childish.

Lighten up and enjoy this fantastic piece of modelling mate!

Cheers,

Lee.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Lee

That's just the point. It looks very wrong (assuming you look at the real thing at all) may as well do something properly if there's no good reason not too. I appreciate that compromises have to be made but this isn't one. I appologise if you are offended by me considering it stupid but at the end of the day there's no other word for it.

The 0.05 difference is very noticeable from normal viewing differences as it's the difference between seeing the wires and not. More importantly it casts obvious shadows on models, given the type of pictures Jon takes this makes a massive difference.

The problem is, sometimes, that people don't look at the real thing properly, and they band words such as realistic arround when if they are honest with themselves they have no idea. Something can be good, stunning even without being realistic but some people DO know the difference.

What Jon has done here looks realistic so far but like his depot diorama with ole if he uses over scale wires again that realism will be lost but I think Jon knows this

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim.

I guess we all have different standards. All I know is, when I look at the pictures on this thread, of a model of a location I have visited many times before, it looks and feels good enough to me. I admire anyone that can achieve this.

We all see things with different eyes, you look for 100% accuracy for it to feel right, I don't need that.

It's good that we are all different or we would live in a colourless boring World!

Regards,

Lee.

Have the 37 and the 45/1 failed? They seem to spend a lot of time parked up........ :no:

As for wire thickness, I can see both POV.

Something CAN look realistic to the eye even if not true to scale.

But something that IS true to scale, ALMOST ALWAYS looks real.

And Jim is right, if you CAN get the more realistic stuff, why ever not? Would we paint our blue models in royal blue, or Humbrol dark blue because that's what we had?

I certainly wouldn't.

Guest jim s-w

That's just it jeff.

I am not advocating doing something that's more difficult just using the right materials for the job. There's absolutely no advantage in not doing so. It's one of those instances where there's no more difficulty involved in doing it right and that's the secret. A lot of my modelling is no more difficult or clever than anyone else's, it's just using the right stuff.

At the end of the day my background is creative not engineering. It's all about consistency, mood and shortcuts and not mega accuracy at all

The impression I have of Jon's stuff is that he he too good to cock it up through lazy use of materials, simple as.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi mickey

You are still missing the point. In this instance using the wrong material doesn't make it any easier. I don't know how I can put it any more simple than that. Please don't confuse me being simplistic as being patronising as it's a very simple point which I must not be explaining properly.

Cheers

Jim

I understand what Jim is trying to say, stringing wire is stringing wire so use the correct gauge. Quite different than trying to make something that doesn't even exist (in scale form) or kitbash from another item to get a representation of the item you are modelling.

Archived