Lets go to birmingham 2011. Marylebone to Moor St

Hi Jim

What are the ECS / LE movements associated with the Chiltern Express services? I know that most of the services finish up in the West Midlands at the end of each day / week, but what happens to the locos and stock overnight and over the weekends?

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

the kiddy set goes ecs back to birmingham moor st sidings every night arriving at about 21.00.

the evening arrival into moor st goes straight into the sidings once its emptied

on a friday there is an ecs to london with the 19.40 as it goes off to wembley for service etc, it then returns on a sunday sometime or other and into put the sidings for monday morning

there are various le/ecs movements including locos to and from crewe and sets to loughborough etc but they are short turn plans, i did one on saturday which was a set onto tyseley for wheel turning

the kiddy set goes ecs back to birmingham moor st sidings every night arriving at about 21.00.

the evening arrival into moor st goes straight into the sidings once its emptied

on a friday there is an ecs to london with the 19.40 as it goes off to wembley for service etc, it then returns on a sunday sometime or other and into put the sidings for monday morning

there are various le/ecs movements including locos to and from crewe and sets to loughborough etc but they are short turn plans, i did one on saturday which was a set onto tyseley for wheel turning

Thanks Jim - I didn't realise that there were storage sidings at Moor Street as well as the operating platforms.

When you mention other 'sidings', are these all at Tyseley?

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

The sidings i refer to are at moor st, 2 sidings long enough for a loco hauled set on each road or 2 x 4 car sets, they are accessed from the bay platforms by sub signals

If you look on my youtube channel you can see the sidings in a few videos

Roundhouse: Yes they do store the mixed rake set in banbury of an evening

The sidings i refer to are at moor st, 2 sidings long enough for a loco hauled set on each road or 2 x 4 car sets, they are accessed from the bay platforms by sub signals

Thanks Jim - had a look at the videos and can see the 2 sidings.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Are the sets heading to the paint shops to come out in proper Chiltern Blue/White livery like the one off DVT anytime soon?

Cheers

Tom

The one off DVT is in the works at the moment having the generator fitted and will be coming back out in silver livery

Hi Jim

Can you give us an update on the current status of the Chiltern LHCS sets overall? Is it:

- 2x sets 5-car + DVT in Chiltern Mainline livery

- 1x set 6/7(?) car + DVT in mixed livery - ex Virgin etc

- I saw that Chiltern had recently acquired some ex Cargo-D Mk3s - what's happening with these?

- There was also a comment so time back that Chiltern had built up a stock of redundant Mk3s and DVTs - was there any truth in this?

Regards

- I saw that Chiltern had recently acquired some ex Cargo-D Mk3s - what's happening with these?

- There was also a comment so time back that Chiltern had built up a stock of redundant Mk3s and DVTs - was there any truth in this?

Hi,

Graham, Chiltern have brought 7 MK3's and a DVT (82104) so I suppose (I may well be wrong) that they will use them to create another loco hauled set to allow 168's to be cascaded ready for when the High Wycombe - Oxford services get the go ahead.

I haven't heard anything about Chiltern or DB buying anymore MK3's lately and I don't think any have arrived at Aylesbury, but someone will have to confirm that.

Simon

Regards

There are a number of DB Regio MK3 kept at Bletchley IIRC , a move took some there late last year, alot of others are at Long Marston and i suppose the newly bought ones may go straight off to Doncaster Wabtec (or whatever its called these days) to be fitted with the Plug doors that Chiltern are fitting to all MK3 sets.

(Dont forget that DB Regio also owns Arriva Trains Wales and 3 of DB Regios DVTs are being Refurbished for ATW)

Apperantly Four more sets to be brought into use at the May timetable change , although i can see this being possible when the first set of Plug Door Chiltern MK3s still havent been released after a design cock up!

Mark

(Also like Jim works for Chiltern.)

There are also quite a few irish Rail mk3's with plug doors sitting at North Wall in Dublin when we were there last Saturday. Are any of these being condsired for use over here as they have plug doors?

I think Chiltern did look at these but went with ones in this country, possibly cheaper to buy and Refurb ones over here than having to transport the Irish ones back over here and then refurb them.

Well, I wasn't aware the Mk3s were getting plug doors - all those years of being told Mk3s & HSTs couldn't be fitted with them....

It hasnt been an easy job i believe, latest word is that the doors have been made slighty too small and leave a fair gap when closed so have had to be sent back to be redone to the right size.

Apperantly Four more sets to be brought into use at the May timetable change ,

I don't suppose there is any news on which diagrams these might work? I need to book tickets Birmigham>London, in the week after the timetable change, and if I can wouldn't mind a ride...

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have a look at this official chiltern mainline take on the timelapse video

Absolutly brilliant, not me driving though, apparently they were worried that i may get poached by hollywood producers so they kept me off screen (honest!)

Archived