Lets go to birmingham 2011. Marylebone to Moor St

Read an article in Rail about the new Chiltern timetable seemed to be a rant against the company in line with many other articles attacking them I think its that Chiltern dont have first class ,who needs it on our journeys,that gets up the writers nose.How are the loadings on the Brumm flyers hope they are doing well as they deserve to succeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Worked a northbound train tonight, did warwick parkway in 69 mins and moor st in 92 mins, pleased with that!

Yesterday one of the services had 2 x 67s on it, got a couple of pics of it on my phone

c86e2669.jpg

db02692a.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

managed moor st to marylebone yesterday in 1:26.55, beat the official record by 5 secs but it showed up on trust as 1:27 which equiled the current official record

finally managed it in sub 90 mins, had a 168 though, yet to do it with a loco and stock

• RMweb Gold

Nice film Jim. Good to see the line in good heart. I worked on most signalling alterations between Aynho and Birmingham from removal of the expresses in 1967 to reopening to the north in the 1990s, including a few days on the Aynho - Bicester singling. Spent many happy hours at Aynho, Kings Sutton, Astrop and the like. My earliest memory of the line was brought back at the site of Ashenden Junction flyover, we were on an Up express when a brand new 9F passed us onto the GC. Must have been about 1958.

Nice one Jim... good to hear you can still have a bit of fun with your timings, it's not often you can do things like that nowadays. I was running two hours early with the 6Y14 LeFarge train to Cheltenham on Saturday night, Gloucester panel put me in the loop at Blackwell to let one by then I went on the phone and was asked "how quick can you get down the bank and get into Ashchurch loop drive?", which rather tickled me!

TSE - Do you recall when Astrop 'box closed at all? Working through there regularly I often try to picture it, but can't remember wether it was on the up or down side.... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Worked a northbound train tonight, did warwick parkway in 69 mins and moor st in 92 mins, pleased with that!

Yesterday one of the services had 2 x 67s on it, got a couple of pics of it on my phone

c86e2669.jpg

db02692a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8kEk3U7Iag&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nice shots - will have to do this double header on my layout of Banbury.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Do you recall when Astrop 'box closed at all? Working through there regularly I often try to picture it, but can't remember wether it was on the up or down side.... ;)

Suspect it was 1979-80 period. I usually date my career by reorganisations and office moves, and the designer who did the trackside stuff joined me in 1979. I have a picture taken in 1978. Box was on the Down side at the south of the Goods lines from Banbury.

IIRC boxes south of Leamington when I started were Ardley, Aynho Junction, Kings Sutton, Astrop, Banbury South / North / Hump (yard only) / Junction and Ironstone, Cropredy, Claydon Crossing, Fenny Compton, Greaves Siding, Southam Road & Harbury and Fosse Road.

If only they were all still open now......from that lot, Claydon Crossing 'box is the only one I've never seen a photograph of. Claydon Crossing itself is also known as something else entirely by a lot of train crews on the route, due to a regular user who likes to 'show off her wares' shall we say... I was lucky enough to see her just the once! Another bit of off topic trivia...... one of the bobbies at Greaves Sidings was Nigel Fletcher who used to be in the group Lt Pigeon, and was responsible for the first 'Western Sounds' LP.

With apologies for veering O/T ;)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

thought id add to this topic rather than start a new one.....

one of the chiltern dvt's has been away and had a generator fitted for when the stock is stabled so the cleaners can get on without the need for the loco to be running with the HEP on, the generator allows the lights, auxilliaries and air con to work, major changes inside, the luggage space has now gone, externally the dvt has a new grille on each side where the front parcel door was, and most surreal of all a fuel tank as well as fire extinguisher pulls etc

8970676c.jpg

92a14b79.jpg

d455804d.jpg

well i finally did it this morning in 1:30 with a loco and stock

eccb50e9.jpg

ready to leave birmingham

9daccd31.jpg

shortly after arrival at london

the actual time was 1:30:49

it can be done!!

well i finally did it this morning in 1:30 with a loco and stock

eccb50e9.jpg

ready to leave birmingham

9daccd31.jpg

shortly after arrival at london

the actual time was 1:30:49

it can be done!!

Well Done, Jim - I had a feeling it wouldn't be much longer before you achieved it!!

• RMweb Gold

it was only a matter of time, or more to the point, timing, before i would do it, who needs HS2!!

saw something in the birmingham paper saying that chilterns passenger numbers are up by 20000 since the introduction of the mainline service, of course they may be artificially high with people trying it out on the £1 promotion (which is on again at the moment) but if they come back in the future then things will be looking good

couple more pics of the dvt interior, as you can see the genny takes up most of the luggage space!!

d34a29f4.jpg

89dc1f03.jpg

looks like a mobile stand up tanning booth to me

not a problem to slow it down, the software i used to edit the vid can also slow it down by 50% so 8mins, any slower and it becomes blocky, i will also upload it in full 1080 HD now i have a decent internet connection

if i get a chance to do it when i finish work tonight i willl, i have already tried it while editing and its still viewable slowed down to a mere 950mph!!

Excellent work. I'd like to see one in real time if the batteries would last!

• RMweb Gold

couple more pics of the dvt interior, as you can see the genny takes up most of the luggage space!!

looks like a mobile stand up tanning booth to me

... or HAL - needs a big red "eye" on the front :lol:

Congrats on the 1:30 run though Jim - nice work. Never mind HS2 who needs WCML with Chilterns around! :)

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work. I'd like to see one in real time if the batteries would last!

the problem at the moment is the light, its dark leaving moor st in the morning on the express, not getting light til at least leamington, then the sun is facing you!

similarly in the evening, the express' are all in the dark at the moment, something that can wait until the clocks change i think.

i did try and record one with my sony bloggie 1080 HD camcorder a few months back and all was going well until at an hour it stopped recording, checked the manual and it turns out that is the maximum you can record in one go which is annoying, the only thing to do is stop it recording during station stops but i set it up so i never touch it once im on the move

i have bought a new battery for hd camera used in the original video so i'll see what i can do in real time one day, even if it takes a few days and edit it together (as i did with the southbound time lapse run, the join is in ardley tunnel!)

Archived