Lets go to birmingham 2011. Marylebone to Moor St

• RMweb Gold

sorry DY444, didnt realise you had linked it too, i posted from my mobile so didnt see precious posts!

texed the driver earlier and he's getting a fair but of ribbing about appearing in the film, not as much as the conducting conductor i should imagine!

Hi,

For those you want to know about the changes that have taken place to let Jim do 92 minute journeys here's the offical video from Chiltern:

A bit strange that the Class 67 sounds like a 168 on the journey! :O It also features a timelapse of a Birmingham - London Journey.

Simon

Good video amazing what Chiltern have done to the network since they took over ,came back from London the other Friday just before the peak and the train was packed and stayed that way to Aylesbury.A big difference to BR days before the modernisation of the lines,used to wonder if the train would make it all the way home as the units were clapped out.

• RMweb Premium

It shows just how sinuous the ex GWR route to London actually is. The ex LMS route from New Street to Euston looks almost straight in comparison!

Still a few unnecessary kinks in and out of platforms to get rid of I see.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

easier to leave the platforms as they are!

an interesting one that has been done is gerrards cross, you can barely tell the kink has been removed aproaching it from the north until you see old pictures, also the sleepers are still in situ from the old setup

• RMweb Premium

easier to leave the platforms as they are!

I was thinking more of a little bit of track slewing which looks possible in one or two locations.

I suppose it doesn't help that several stations had 4 through tracks with platforms only on the loops and later rationalisations have led to several variations of layout.

Keith

Hi,

Seen as the line was built with 2 centre roads through stations, Chiltern are probably keeping the track in it's position so they have room to expand, probably putting through roads through some of the stations will take abit time off the journey.

Simon

Simon

I think you're right here. I seem to remember some talk a while back about the 2x centre roads at Beaconsfield being re-instated to allow fast trains to overtake stoppers and to refuge freights whilst passenger services passed them.

• RMweb Gold

I asked about there being a chance of centre roads at beaconsfield a while back and whoever is in charge recon there is not enough room!

I think all the kinks that were needing to be removed were, the likes of beaconsfield and denham are already 100mph so doing any extra work would be of no benefit, unless of course they run the loco and dvt at 110 mph

I think all the kinks that were needing to be removed were, the likes of beaconsfield and denham are already 100mph so doing any extra work would be of no benefit, unless of course they run the loco and dvt at 110 mph

Hi,

But it would allow for greater service capacity and for any delayed services to be 'looped' while faster services over took them.

Simon

I asked about there being a chance of centre roads at beaconsfield a while back and whoever is in charge recon there is not enough room!

Hi Jim

Thanks for the information.

I'm amazed at the 'not enough room' claim about Beaconsfield - it was built as a 4 track station and there has been no reconfiguration of the platforms at all, just the removal of the 2 centre roads. I presume that this must mean that the trains are all wider these days!!?!

I know that the regularity of the service between H. Wycombe and Marylebone is pretty frequent now, but with the promised additional LHCS services that are due, I would have thought that another passing point this close to London could well have been advantageous in creating more opportunities for the fast Birminghams to overtake the more frequently stopping local services. (It seems that Simon and I are thinking along the same lines!!)

On this subject, do you have any up to date info on the likely introduction of the additional Mk3 sets and the door problems?

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

Currently during rush hour there is a train arriving into and departing marylebone every 2 minutes so i dont think an increase in capacity is possible!!

There is a facility to move up trains over to the down line in gerrards cross and allow express' to pass but ive not done it yet

Regards the coaches the first set MAY be out by the end of the week, certainly i was on it today in wabtec in doncaster and have refreshed the route to possibly bring them back very soon, it should have been today but the coaches are having the final adjustments done now there is a 67 and dvt on site

Trust me you will be impressed when you see them in the flesh, the work gone into them is very impressive, not just a case of bunging a new door in the hole!!

Currently during rush hour there is a train arriving into and departing marylebone every 2 minutes so i dont think an increase in capacity is possible!!

There is a facility to move up trains over to the down line in gerrards cross and allow express' to pass but ive not done it yet

Regards the coaches the first set MAY be out by the end of the week, certainly i was on it today in wabtec in doncaster and have refreshed the route to possibly bring them back very soon, it should have been today but the coaches are having the final adjustments done now there is a 67 and dvt on site

Trust me you will be impressed when you see them in the flesh, the work gone into them is very impressive, not just a case of bunging a new door in the hole!!

OK - I understand that the Marylebone capacity may now be a bit tight!!

As to the Mk3s, you say they are very impressive - are they re-worked very differently to the Mainline sets that are already in use - other than the doors? How many coaches are nearly ready to come south?

You say there is a 67 + DVT already at Wabtec - would this be 67012 that was spotted at Aylesbury yesterday?

Enjoy the run if you get to bring the stock back from Donny.

• RMweb Gold

do the coaches look much different on the outside with plug doors...ie will it take quite a bit of work to model them from standard mk3s?

Ian

you could probably get away with touching up the paint to get a fair representation of them,however the doors dont wrap round the ends of the coaches, then there is stuff like door buttons, egress', oh and triangular door windows!!

its 67014 and the dvt is 82305 in donny with a rake of 5 coaches, its the vestibule areas have been extensivly reworked mainly, got some pics for modelling purposes but im not posting them for obvious reasons!

i'm not booked to drive it back but the delay in comissioning them may mean i will, just got to refresh the final part of the planned route, i'm getting that boxed off tomorrow so should be good to go, never thought id be going donny again with chiltern on my hi-viz!

• RMweb Gold

ah yes I remember that you mentioned the triangular windows in an earlier post. I am sure I will see them soon enough on next trip to Banbury or Birmingham.

Ian

Yes not long to wait until you will get to see them

In the meantime you will have to model this........

c7df06c7.jpg

Nice to see this too, a couple of locos on the blocks in london

0451d0d1.jpg

I really hate that big advertising board

• RMweb Gold

Big Jim

Good shot

Eggesford Box sent me a photo of one of those Arriva DVT's passing banbury, I think taken on the day we were in Cardiff wondering why the DVT was not in use on the Holyhead Cardiff class 67 hauled service. Now I know why!

If I can get the decals and another Dapol DVT I will do one. I suspect Precision Scale will soon be doing the decals though.

That advertising board really does get in the way doent it!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

heres an updated video, taken on the 06:55 express service from moor st to marylebone, perfect conditions to record this morning, overcast with no rain so no sun glare!

Did the run in 1 hour 31 minutes even after being slowed down through banbury because of a late running XC service, without that i would have done it in 1:28 i recon

the video was filmed and edited completly on my iphone, i set the timelapse app running before i left birmingham with the phone in aeroplane mode so i dont touch it on the move, then edited it using the splice app

enjoy......

note the flooding near king sutton

Archived