Scottish Region photos 1980's

And the second coach in the second photo seems to be a Mk2C (?) composite. I never knew there was such a thing.

When I was based in Scotland in Spring 1987 there were some Mark 2 pressure-vent FKs that were partially downgraded to CKs. Obviously the internal services did not have a great demand for First Class.

And the second coach in the second photo seems to be a Mk2C (?) composite. I never knew there was such a thing.

Yes, there were five or six partially downgraded FKs, as mentioned above, all allocated to IS.

Numbers were - from memory - something like 7550, 7551, 7553, 7558, and 7561. (Add 6000 for the previous FK number).

Don't ask how I manage to remember these things ... :-)

• RMweb Premium

Spot on!  Looking at the Hugh Longworth BR Mk1 and Mk2 Coaching Stock bible it seems many of the same batch were fully declassified later in life although on other regions.

There was a small number of Mk2a FK's downgraded to SK as well of which the Scottish Region had one briefly, SC19462 which I intend to model when Bachmann Farish pull their fingers out and get the fresh batch of blue/grey FK's on the shelves!

Yes, many of the Mk2[abcd] FKs (13nnn) were declassified to SKs (19nnn) in the early, mid, and possibly late 1980s.

As far as I know, only the above mentioned group became CKs. Not sure when the CKs were done, but were certainly in this state by 1984/1985, when I remember them from the Platform 5 LHCS book that I had...

[i forget, or don't remember, all sorts of important stuff but I can recall things like this, and post #604, off the top of my head!]

Brilliant pics, but I think your date's a bit out, may I suggest '85, maybe even '86 as a date instead?

(26038 & it's pair are carrying Inverness 'stag' logos on the side. 26038 has a Haymarket 'Castle' logo & is in post-refurbishment (04/84) condition).

Thanks Dave. I wish I'd kept notes at the time. I visited Inverness twice. My first visit was in Sept 1981 and I have numbers in my notebook, however, they don't tie up with all my photos. I think I may not have taken any photos then.

My second visit was probably 1985, plenty of 37s at Inverness. This time I took photos but I was no longer collecting numbers!

This is my favourite pic, 26032 and 26037 have all the neccessary embellishments, must have been 1985.

post-7898-0-43301500-1538992202_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I was always only aware that two maybe three vehicles had been given the dark blue stripe treatment as it was only a trial however this photo seems to prove otherwise if even only for a short while - and on a TSOT that was thought to remain in blue & grey!  SC 6607 on a Glasgow-Aberdeen 17/9/84....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eastfield/8710840555/

[`edit] Apologies if this has come up already! - It may not be 6607 as it appears two years later in blue & grey....

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was always only aware that two maybe three vehicles had been given the dark blue stripe treatment as it was only a trial however this photo seems to prove otherwise if even only for a short while - and on a TSOT that was thought to remain in blue & grey!  SC 6607 on a Glasgow-Aberdeen 17/9/84....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eastfield/8710840555/

[`edit] Apologies if this has come up already! - It may not be 6607 as it appears two years later in blue & grey....

Hi Bob

Aha -  so a Dark Blue Stripe TSOT did exist at some point.........

Thanks for the head's up

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's a link to a video I posted a few days ago in the Bachmann Mk2f thread, however it is probably more relevant to this thread.  Unfortunately there's no sound, but the content more than makes up for it.  I do hope it being filmed a year or so "early"  for the '80s won't upset the purists?

The first clip appears to show a Midland allocated Mk2 FK in the push-pull rake? 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I realise some people get mixed up between your photos of the layout and the real thing sometimes. Now then, is that why you've been quiet on Waverley West for a while, you've secretly being building the other end of the line.

Edited by Waverley47708

Great photos. Does anyone have any photos of the concourse in the kate 80s?

• RMweb Premium

A few from me taken whilst honeymooning in Scotland in 1992.  First, 37403 climbing away from Mallaig:

post-10582-0-65526900-1546590648_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-84056200-1546590659_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-51454200-1546590671_thumb.jpg

And then a selection of 37s taken at the Kyle the following day plus 37240 at Inverness later in the week:

post-10582-0-02934700-1546590790_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-35679900-1546590809_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-41620000-1546590830_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-34513900-1546590841_thumb.jpg

Edited Saturday 5 Jan to correct date and loco identity.

Edited by Grampus
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

A few more from the same trip: 

post-10582-0-51253700-1546591415_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-16270800-1546591460_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-55683100-1546591468_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-17183400-1546591477_thumb.jpg

Funny, I didn't bother to photograph 47677 (to the right of the line-up in the first picture) for some reason.  Hope these are of interest.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 9

Nice pics Paul, but these will be 1992 rather than 1982.

The first pictures are of "Gllendarroch" which was 37403 and was later renamed "Ben Cruachan", having previously been "Isle of Mull".

The Scotrail Mk2 stock+37s were operating what was marketed at the time as "Young Explorer" additional summer services, these being more aimed at the campers, cyclists and backpackers as the loco hauled stock did of course have more space for all their gear than the 156 DMUs otherwise in operation. Similar class 47 hauled trains ran between Edinburgh and Inverness, however it all came to an end with privatisation.

The first pictures are of "Gllendarroch" which was 37403 and was later renamed "Ben Cruachan", having previously been "Isle of Mull".

The Scotrail Mk2 stock+37s were operating what was marketed at the time as "Young Explorer" additional summer services, these being more aimed at the campers, cyclists and backpackers as the loco hauled stock did of course have more space for all their gear than the 156 DMUs otherwise in operation. Similar class 47 hauled trains ran between Edinburgh and Inverness, however it all came to an end with privatisation.

Coincidentally - 153377 arrived at Brodie's of Kilmarnock yesterday to be fitted out as the prototype "mobile bikeshed" for use on the West Highland line.  Conversion will allow bike/ski/rucksack storage - with a mini buffet and some seats also.  

Jim

Coincidentally - 153377 arrived at Brodie's of Kilmarnock yesterday to be fitted out as the prototype "mobile bikeshed" for use on the West Highland line.  Conversion will allow bike/ski/rucksack storage - with a mini buffet and some seats also.  

Jim

I saw that on Facebook the other day, going backwards to go forwards I suppose. I have a regular commute to Oban at the moment so I'll be interested to see it first hand in service.

• RMweb Premium

Ha ha!  Thank you Jim.  You are, of course, correct.  I was indeed married in 1992!!! (should have read my own captions properly - perils of posting first thing in the morning.  :jester:

Details in original post now corrected as of Saturday 5 Jan. 

Edited by Grampus

excellent pics again andrew, thanks for posting them

regarding the Scotrail/ScotRail logos, found this today

6742064019_8a8744dfa6_b.jpg

DBSO 9706 at edinburgh 13-4-84 on Flickr by robertcwp

don't think i've seen the combination of Inter-City and Scotrail before!

Hi folks (and keefer in particular),

I'm in the process of renumbering one of my Bachmann DBSOs as 9706 with "InterCity Scotrail" markings as shown above. Anyone know what the red labels in the windows shown above would have said? I can't read them in the image above and the text looks too long for something like "Not in use". "Not for passenger use" maybe, but then why put it on a non-opening window?

I thought it would make an interesting addition.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Dave

'Edinburgh - Glasgow' - Don't forget technically 9706 had barely a few months remaining before it was destroyed at Polmont though the Red Labels had been in use at least since the previous year.

Many thanks, Bob. I didn't realise 9706 was the one involved in Polmont, although I did notice it had no obstacle deflector, so I assumed the photo was taken before the accident..

It may be time for a rethink on the number then. Not sure I fancy having a model of that particular one on the layout. I believe at least 9702 also had the "InterCity ScotRail" marking, but that had no number on the front.

Cheers

Dave