Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

If you want it for P4 you may want a Bradwell chassis anyway.

Aye but one suspects this may end up being zapped by Brassmasters maybe?

Either that or Philip Hall will show its possible to convert it.

Much as I respect and have a box full of Prof. Bradwells bits, his B1 chassis may just be beyond my abilities with a soldering iron...... hummpfff :training:

Guest Max Stafford

I'll add my own tedious 'me too' to the above, but it's looking like this one will be very much worth the wait. Whilst I'm still very happy with the raw material provided by Bachmann, the greater finesse shown here looks like stealing the show.

Dave.

Humble pie duly being eaten (well, a Big-Mac), well done Hornby for getting this on the shelves for Xmas.

My Christmas spend has already been allocated this year. It is really outclasses my Bachmann split chassis, it could be a 2012 purchase - perhaps discounted a little!

N

I've just had Hattons website images of the Bachmann and Hornby B1 enlarged on screen for comparisons.

I've decided to go for the Hornby model. It has a finer running plate valance as per the real thing. It also has a deeper section of cylinder cover just below the running plate. It has a decent dome. It has tender pick-ups.

Negs) The running number is high up on the cabside. All the photos Ive seen show it in the middle of the lining (Bachmann scores here) but as i'll be renumbering the model it doesn't matter to me. Hornby's chimney is straight sided instead of tapering upwards and simply doesnt cut it.

Jobs for the do-it-yourselfer include new front frames above the bogie wheels to eliminate daylight and new chimney. Cabside number needs lowering for most locos.

Purely my views....

• Like 3

Interesting. Thanks for that Larry, more food for thought RE the Hornby/Bachmann debate.

The chimney is definitely not right on either, and I will be changing that whichever eventually arrives.

But...damn. Looking at the Hattons pics, I think if it had been a green B1 and not an LNER lined black one, my wallet would be crying right now and three Hornby B1s would be winging their way to 56C.

As it is, I think the Bachmann B1 in LNER green will get my money when it arrives. Leaves me enough to buy one of those gorgeous teak suburbans...

Edited by S.A.C Martin

How do we know these are production model pictures ?

I agree they should have gone for a LNER Apple Green version much more attractive to the average punter.

For me either is fine if the chimney is duff at least its a very easy fix.

Overall Hornby have move the fidelity up a grade or two above Bachmanns version .

Dare I say it !! Well done to Hornby ,good to say amongst all the doom and gloom being said about them elsewhere :no: :no:

How do we know these are production model pictures ?

Because you can buy them off Hattons, and generally Hattons only photograph models when they come into stock.

Dare I say it !! Well done to Hornby ,good to say amongst all the doom and gloom being said about them elsewhere :no: :no:

It has to be conceded, despite my preferences and budgeting...the Hornby B1 really does look rather smashing in the Hattons pics. The Bachmann B1 looks good too, but there is that extra finesse that, being objective, one cannot deny is there on the Hornby B1...

Looks a great model, but have noticed in all hattons photo's the running plate isn't flat, it bows. This may just be an illusion or should it be like this?

Should be flat. I might guess that it's a minor 'fit' issue, as it appears to hump up over the expansion link bracket which is going to be attached to the chassis block. In which case a little material shaved from the top of the bracket or the underside of the footplating should correct.

.....It has to be conceded, despite my preferences and budgeting...the Hornby B1 really does look rather smashing in the Hattons pics. The Bachmann B1 looks good too, but there is that extra finesse that, being objective, one cannot deny is there on the Hornby B1...

Can we expect a U-turn of political proportions, then? :jester:

• Like 2

The Hornby one is nice but for some reason it just doesn't quite do it for me. It just somehow looks too nice and "ornate" for such an anonymous class of locomotive. Might just be the weathering but the Bachmann one looks a lot more rugged and workmanlike.

• Like 1