Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

In for a penny, in for a pound... the only other B1 shot in my collection is another visitor to Rugby, probably taken slightly earlier than the colour shot... and no doubt found it's way here from Peterborough... just look at the pock marked paintwork an accumulation of filth in the noks and crannies!

post-7638-0-78442800-1323203911_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The more pictures I see of the B1 the more I see a nice looking loco, (Of course not in the same class as GW 4-6-0s) if a B1 ever visited Banbury I may be tempted to buy one...... Pigeons that amongst the put Cat

if a B1 ever visited Banbury

Oh, I'd think we could dedicate this topic its own thread!

I recall some dim report in Modern Railways circa 1965 regarding Footexes bringing the breed to the area. Then there's the GC not so far distant. Now, I'm no expert but....

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere I have a list of the various LNER locos that visited Banbury from the GC link through Woddford Halse, I have photos of L1s at Banbury, I must look it out I am sure B1s visited.

• Like 1

I've worked out a shortlist of engines from the superb BR Database Website I can feasibly have (whether Bachmann or Hornby! It may depend on build, form and livery), for the dates 1948-52, at Copley Hill (37B).

61029 Chamois (1950-52), 61031 Reedbuck (1948-50), 61033 Dibatag (1948-50), 61129 (1952), 61309 (1951-2), 61310 (1951-2), 61377 (1952), 61386 (1952-61), 61387 (1952-58) and 61388 (1952-58).

The bolded engines are the ones which I think would be most likely to appear and overlap for their stays, so it's likely I will build up a fleet of these five engines over the next few years. My next problem is liveries - I know what I want - at least one or two in apple green, and the rest in mixed traffic black with cycling lion/lettered branding, but whether that is possible with these five engines I am unsure. This gives me three named engines and two unnamed.

Oh to have the complete RCTS volumes...! :senile:

Thinking it through, it's likely Reedbuck as one of the earlier engines would still be in green in 1948, and BR branded, the same for Dibatag. Chamois didn't appear until 1950 so it's possible this would be mixed traffic black with BR branding or the cycling lion. 61309 and 61310 are the later BR batches so it's very likely they'd be mixed traffic black.

Edited by S.A.C Martin

The more pictures I see of the B1 the more I see a nice looking loco, (Of course not in the same class as GW 4-6-0s) if a B1 ever visited Banbury I may be tempted to buy one...... Pigeons that amongst the put Cat

Laurence Water's book 'Last Years Of Steam - Paddington To Wolverhampton' has a nice Michael Mensing shot of 61384 taken at Harbury heading north on a loaded ironstone train that originated at Banbury, dated Tuesday 21st September 1965 (the day before I was born!). I have another book somewhere with a shot of another B1 in the north end bay at Banbury, it might be one of the Bradford Barton albums. I'd imagine they weren't exactly rare birds there ;)

• Like 1

Somewhere I have a list of the various LNER locos that visited Banbury from the GC link through Woddford Halse, I have photos of L1s at Banbury, I must look it out I am sure B1s visited.

I have a picture of a B1 on Swindon Shed and the caption states that the Shed Foreman (Running Foreman I presume) wanted rid of it as quickly as possible.I dare say it showed up all of the other 4-6-0's on Shed that day. I have been to Specsavers unlike you 7013. :stinker:

Seriously if it will help you decide I will dig out the photograph at the weekend, only got the decorators in at present and can't get to anything.

Regards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

B1s were regulars at Banbury, both on jobs were they came off and on the regular working through to Swindon (you could always guarantee a B1 in Swindon shed on a Sunday morning up until the early/mid 1960s).

snapback.pngcoachmann, on 02 December 2011 - 11:02 , said:

Oh I dunno. The old body moulding looks okay to me. Maybe I'm not fussy enough....?

Actually having spent some time reading through this very interesting topic there is one remark aimed @ "Coachman" on page 8 in answer to his post above that astounds me.

The purpetrator of the remark may not know who "Coachman" is but to suggest he is not fussy is unbelievable. Perhaps he has never seen any of LG's work and I don't wish to open a can of worms ,but after being (or attempting to be) humourous with 7013 above this does strike me as a touch needless about a truely smashing guy who will share all his knowledge and tricks of the trade with anyone. Coach is not a close friend of mine and I know hes a Big Boy now who can fight his own corner,but come on folks its a hobby for goodness sake and a relaxation,not a war zone. Lets try and keep it on a pleasant level,by all means disagree but equally keep things in the right perspective. It seems to have been getting a bit touchy involving one of my friends as well as this gent in question,so I am being fair and impartial without wishing to offend.

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 4

So I may have to get some Bradwell bits as opposed to the Bradwell Chassis...

Some modelling needed but hey, as Mr Horsetan says, its a good tender.

This B1 looks a tasty beastie that is for sure....

• RMweb Premium

Thank you gents I remember now seeing the picture of a B1 at Swindon (Rubbing shoulders with exhalted company). As my layout is a junction that like Banbury saw all regions visit I may well be tempted to get one of these locos. Now which one should I get Hornby or Bachmann....Any suggestions?

So I may have to get some Bradwell bits as opposed to the Bradwell Chassis...

Some modelling needed but hey, as Mr Horsetan says, its a good tender.

This B1 looks a tasty beastie that is for sure....

If you want it for P4 you may want a Bradwell chassis anyway.

a grotty B1 on shed at Walton on the hill Liverpool, dont know weather its the photo or it has rods missing?

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Now that is an odd picture! If you click on it and select all sizes and then original size (which is fairly huge) and look at the rod area, its almost like a ghost is stood in front of the front driving wheel making it almost impossiable to tell if the rods are there or not! Great find!

Jim

Edited by D605Eagle
  • Like 1

Well for my two pennyworth it would have been nice to see Bachmann rework the B1 body at the same time as the chassis The overall body is still let down by the poor chimney, dome not forgetting the smokebox door which limits the choice of loco and dont get me started re the V2 update.

From the images thus far the Hornby B1's chimney looks even worse. All of these errors can be put right with help from Dave Bradwell, one would hope he has stocked up on his B1 bobs a bits. His Chimney Domes and smokebox doors remain the most accurate replacements

Bob

• Like 1

I must confess I feel a wee bit like the blushing bride on this thread - we're on page 11 and I'm embarrassed to say I could do with a link to something that quantifies the smokebox door issue.

I've sussed the chimney errors which frankly are a tad irritating, but I'll work round them whichever manufacturer's model I purchase. Is the door just suited to one small batch of locos?

..... Is the door just suited to one small batch of locos?

From what I've seen of the Hornby B1 door, it's suited to the majority of the B1s as first built, including 61306 / 1306 "Mayflower":

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/LNER_B1_1306_'Mayflower'_at_Doncaster_Works.JPG

However, the first ten (I think?) had NER-style doors with a smaller diameter "dish", which were backed with a noticeable "ring". As boiler overhauls and replacements were carried out, these doors gravitated to later members of the class. One such door can be seen on the preserved 61264 today:

http://upload.wikime..._2004-03-13.jpg

The last ten (61400-09) had a door which was the same as the Thompson K1, with straps which were closer together, and again these gravitated towards other members of the class when boiler replacements took place:

http://www.davidheys...dh-b1-61037.jpg

Dave Bradwell's beautiful door castings (included in his B1 chassis kit) cover the majority, and the last ten, but NOT the first ten. If you want to cover the first ten, then you will need to nick an early door from something like an old Hornby B17.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2