Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

Replica will sell you a reconditioned B1 chassis for £15, and a complete body and tender for another £15. You'll find them in the spares section of their website.

Yes I know they will but it's already on it's second set of driving wheels and still has it's original, noisy, motor so basically I don't think it worth repairing. Besides I can use the body, tender & cylinders for a K1.

Roger

Edited by Gilwell Park

• RMweb Gold

Yes I know they will but it's already on it's second set of driving wheels and still has it's original, noisy, motor so basically I don't think it worth repairing. Besides I can use the body, tender & cylinders for a K1.

Roger

Speaking of which, ages ago somebody on the old forum (I forget who, I'm afraid) posted a picture of a very nice Thompson O1 built using a Replica/Bachmann B1 body and a Hornby 8F chassis.

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of which, ages ago somebody on the old forum (I forget who, I'm afraid) posted a picture of a very nice Thompson O1 built using a Replica/Bachmann B1 body and a Hornby 8F chassis.

Presumably here, although it's a dead link at the moment:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6160

When someone finally gets their hands on a new Bachmann B1, could they possibly find out whether the chassis is a straight transplant into the older Bachmann, and more importantly, Replica bodies please?

cheers, Peter C.

Tony Wright has just reviewed both the new Bachmann models (or should that be chassis?) of the A4 and B1. While the A4 chassis fixings are different, the B1 retains the same single screw fixing.

Some of us had agreed to move on... but I wouldn't know a 4-VEP from an N15.

And the A2 doesn't help your case.

So let's do that. I think the folly of making an overall comparison of manufacturers on the basis of disparate individual models has been shown.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 5

Hornby's attempt is certainly an ornate piece of moulding. However I notice the following -

The wheelsets are of the same unsubstantial style which spoil Tornado and the 75XXX.

The rear bufferbeam should be red, not black.

The chimney is poor, and not for the first time from the big H.

The valve gear is slightly superior to Bachmann's in that it has more detail (the funny rod thing behind the cylinders?).

Cab interior detail is present and inclusion of cab doors, as is usual for a modern Hornby kettle.

Flaman speedo bracket included, although I don't believe all the locos had them.

The paint finish looks about on a par with Bachmann's 61180.

In summary, very nice but I think I'll be sticking with the Bachmann version for my MPD layout, good enough for me and once you've bought 4 or 5 a fair saving over the big H.

Hornby's attempt is certainly an ornate piece of moulding. However I notice the following -

The wheelsets are of the same unsubstantial style which spoil Tornado and the 75XXX.

The valve gear is slightly superior to Bachmann's in that it has more detail (the funny rod thing behind the cylinders?).

Cab interior detail is present and inclusion of cab doors, as is usual for a modern Hornby kettle.

Flaman speedo bracket included, although I don't believe all the locos had them.

In summary, very nice but I think I'll be sticking with the Bachmann version for my MPD layout, good enough for me and once you've bought 4 or 5 a fair saving over the big H.

The funny rod thing behind the cylinders is the link to the cylinder drain cocks.

Roger

DCC - how easy are the chips installed or removed, and where is the fitting? Is there scope for fitting a speaker?

What approach is used in coupling tender to loco?

Edited by mow

blux5s comment about the rear bufferbeam colour.......I'm sure it's just a case that it being the prototype model the production models will be painted red.

That really is a beaut, the cab detail is lovely, but the extra detail on the tender interior does it for me.

Gets me vote! :)

Please bear in mind this is a pre-production model from the Hornby stand at Warley - there will be a number of errors that have not been corrected yet - including the rear bufferbeam!

• Like 4

Please bear in mind this is a pre-production model from the Hornby stand at Warley - there will be a number of errors that have not been corrected yet - including the rear bufferbeam!

Apologies, I thought it was a production model.

Thanks Dicky for posting. The B1 does look pretty good. I like the attempt by Hornby to reproduce the large-boss bogie wheels instead of using their traditional fare, but a pity about the worn-to-minimum tyres! I won't mention the chimney again as I've already alluded to it either here or on the other B1 channel....

Maybe I've missed the point, or am set in my ways, or something possibly heinous, but how is it that people will dismiss the Bachmann model in terms of detail but happily overlook a detail on the Hornby model which is, simply, wrong?

I am happy to admit I'll be changing the chimney and dome on my Bachmann B1s, but I have as yet to see any comment from its detractors regarding the Hornby chimney, which purely and simply is wrong on this pre production model.

I have scoured books, magazines and online resources and cannot find a match to the above.

Is this an acceptable accuracy issue? I ask only because I am genuinely perplexed that the fidelity of the cab and tender detail seems more highly valued than that of the chimney - arguably that which cements the look of a model according to its prototype.

I feel a little like anyone who has professed a preference for the Bachmann model has been talked down to regarding detail, and yet the chimney issue is not so bad on the Bachmann as on the Hornby.

And, to give the third point of view - mountains out of molehills?

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 3

Maybe I've missed the point, or am set in my ways, or something possibly heinous, but how is it that people will dismiss the Bachmann model in terms of detail but happily overlook a detail on the Hornby model which is, simply, wrong?

I am happy to admit I'll be changing the chimney and dome on my Bachmann B1s, but I have as yet to see any comment from its detractors regarding the Hornby chimney, which purely and simply is wrong on this pre production model.

I have scoured books, magazines and online resources and cannot find a match to the above.

Is this an acceptable accuracy issue? I ask only because I am genuinely perplexed that the fidelity of the cab and tender detail seems more highly valued than that of the chimney - arguably that which cements the look of a model according to its prototype.

I feel a little like anyone who has professed a preference for the Bachmann model has been talked down to regarding detail, and yet the chimney issue is not so bad on the Bachmann as on the Hornby.

Simon, Can you clarify what's wrong with the chimney? Thanks

Simon, Can you clarify what's wrong with the chimney? Thanks

Rim and lip. Look at the LNER encyclopaedia entry for some good shots. The Bachmann one is admitedly not perfect either but does a better job of portraying it.

It feels like a proper whining moan here but it seems hypocritical to go on about better detail on a model yet ignore one particular important detail.

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 1

That's my view.

We've heard the comment about the chimney. A few times now.

The fact folk aren't getting bent out of shape* over the matter is surely a positive in what has been a bit of a disproportionately heated thread.

(*pun not intended, but I'll take the credit)

• Like 1

That's my view.

We've heard the comment about the chimney. A few times now.

The fact folk aren't getting bent out of shape* over the matter is surely a positive in what has been a bit of a disproportionately heated thread.

(*pun not intended, but I'll take the credit)

Fair enough Jamie.

Guest Max Stafford

I think that's the first representation of the funny rod thing I've ever seen.

Can we make that its official designation on RMweb? :D

"...disproportionately heated..."

Sorry Jamie, you're too late - the Clan was two years ago! :P

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 1

A very nice looking model that... I can't make any constructive comments either way concerning the Hornby / Bachmann differences as I'm not up to scratch in that regard, but I do like the finesse of Hornby's mixed traffic lining in those photos above..... anyhoo, as if an excuse were needed, here be 61156 photographed at Rugby Shed of all places. No date I'm afraid but most likely sometime in 1962 as I have a colour shot of Stanier Pacific 46256 on the shed which I'm told was taken on the same day ;).

post-7638-0-06968400-1323201147_thumb.jpg

• Like 1