Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

Is that just on current releases of the new models too? That photo further up the thread of 61010 seemed to look NER style... compared with photos of 61264 which apparently has it.

61264 is the NER style. The Bachmann door moulding is incorrect, being neither one nor the other.

61264 is the NER style. The Bachmann door moulding is incorrect, being neither one nor the other.

That mean no one has ever done a Darlington NER style B1, a kin to something like the first B1s and despite models running round with names of the first ones? Was an old Bachmann one not far off, while both new ones are not accurate. Wouldnt surprise me if no-one did a Darlington built type..... and I think its a shame given I would expect many of the class were Darlington and thus NER styled machines.

Waiting for SAC's video comparison of the two to help me with the choice. Provided he gets one of each of course!

:lol:

I'll think about it. I had only planned on getting one brand throughout. Plus, I don't think given my (more and more, seemingly) limited knowledge of the prototype that I could make an informed decision on which is better in any event.

I'm waiting it out for the Bachmann LNER liveried ones and will make a final decision then.

• RMweb Premium

i think when i get one ill renumber it as 61010 Wildebeeste as my uncle always mentioned he saw it a few times at Walton on the hill shed Liverpool, not sure of modifications required, if any to do this to the new Hornby model as im not well up on the b1s.

Can't do Walton, but here it is at Aintree:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=35552

Simon

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

Why after starting to research this info from chatting in this topic do I find that your answer is unsurprising.... yet another North Eastern build that has not been modelled..... :cray_mini:

Calm down man, I'm sure it's perfectly feasible to carry out the necessary alterations on the workbench.

Dave.

• Like 4

Calm down man, I'm sure it's perfectly feasible to carry out the necessary alterations on the workbench.

Dave.

And I fully intend to, for one, as I believe I need three...!

The alterations to a darling of Darlington don't appear, at first glance, to be too strenuous, but it will require some thought and further photographic research.

• Like 1

And surely this is part of the fun of modelling the NER and its successors?!

I know it's an old debate that we 'shouldn't have to modify new RTR' but when it's creating different variations I think it's quite acceptable. And I think it's so refreshing to see a brand new model inspiring people to add bits, change bits and generally improve things. This is not a bad thing, it's a very, very positive thing.And

Sadly it now means that I feel I should add a lot more to the ancient Nu-Cast B1 I'm refurbishing!

• Like 1

James :

I know it's an old debate that we 'shouldn't have to modify new RTR'
This is news to me, a debate ive never come across. Railway modellers have always modified RTR....It's what they do! This thing about 'we shouldn't have to modify new RTR' sounds suspiciously like current thinking to me, or maybe it's because I dont mix in the right circles ('everything on a plate' society).
  • Like 4

Coach, it always comes up from someone, normally when someone says 'well this isn't quite right' and this has often been a response I've seen! Just because you haven't seen the point put forward doesn't mean it hasn't been done many times. Certainly when locos like the original Bachmann 37/4 and 40 appeared, it was used then.

• Like 2

This is news to me, a debate ive never come across. Railway modellers have always modified RTR....It's what they do!

This thing about 'we shouldn't have to modify new RTR' sounds suspiciously like current thinking to me, or maybe it's because I dont mix in the right circles ('everything on a plate' society).

As ever, it's a broad debate put here in a brief soundbite.

We all have our own tolerances but I think most would agree you shouldnt have to correct defects in new RTR (such as, hypothetically, a loco that wont run properly or a coach that had the wrong roof profile) - but then again if you want to do it, that's OK. Modifying to enhance, to detail, to represent variations or different builds using a basically sound model is a completely different thing, and should indeed be 'what we do'.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 8

I wasn't getting at you James and I was most certainly not blaming you for the debate you mentioned. Niether was I saying that we should overlook a loco that won't run properly or a coach that had the wrong roof profile.

My take on the 'we shouldnt have to modify RTR' debate was simply that some folk expect every variant and every livery to be produced RTR, as for instance B1's with various different smokebox doors. I was simply saying that modellers routinely buy aftermarket fittings for modifying RTR, and In olden days we were eternally grateful for RTR loco chassis.

• Like 8

My word....to get a NER smokebox, you need to source it of a GE loco…whatever next....

;)

Totally with you regarding modifying RTR, I have an A3 planned for a repaint to a variant that Hornby have yet to do.

Also surely modifying an RTR gives you the satisfaction of a unique loco to you!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

He can always bathe in bleach after wards! :lol:

On the plus side, they larger smokebox door on Hornby's B1 could be swapped with the D49 smokebox door (if you can easily remove it) to reflect the later smokebox doors which D49s received.

Haha, doesn't bother me James. Just hoping the black hat can cope with it!

I could cope.... but reckon instead that with modern tooling that Bachmann and Hornby would cater for the fact that theres different smokebox doors to model and thus do them all as time comes. So hopefully the next batch should feature a NER style smokebox door, for the masses to enjoy.....

Pretty sure they will. Just look at the A3 boiler variations.

For example, the 3rd B1 from Hornby 'Sir Harold Mitchell', notice no pics yet, and I believe that is for a reason…smokebox door variation from all pics iv seen. The later type!

Edited by Tom F

As mentioned above regarding smokebox door variations. I hadn't mentioned that Harold Mitchell in later years had the curve in the running plate added for strength by cowlairs.

Well our Scottish modellers will be pleased with this picture.

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/locomotives/steam-locomotives/r3000-br-4-6-0-sir-harold-mitchell-thompson-b1-antelope-class-late-br/

Seriously though...should we have ever doubted Hornby's attention to detail!

(null)

• Like 2