Stafford Railway Circle Exhibition 4th 5th February 2012

ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

STAFFORD RAILWAY CIRCLE EXHIBITION UPDATE FRIDAY EVENING 21:45

Just arrived back home leaving about 10 or so members on site finishing of the Friday evening jobs.

As Andy York has reported all the layouts due to arrive today are all set up, two layouts to come and about 4 local traders who always set up on Saturday to arrive at just after 08:00 in the morning.

We have had better weather, but had much worse in the past and the show goes on!

So drive safely, and come and have a fantastic day out with some of the best layouts around whatever you model

Terry

Exhb Mgr Stafford

• RMweb Premium

Apologies to Geoff and Mark the New Haden team, for not being able to make the set up today. Unfortunately for the first time in 25 years I've not made a Friday set-up and I'm unlikely to be able to make the Saturday either. I'm still hopeful to make the show on Sunday though.....

• RMweb Premium

Apologies to Geoff and Mark the New Haden team, for not being able to make the set up today. Unfortunately for the first time in 25 years I've not made a Friday set-up and I'm unlikely to be able to make the Saturday either. I'm still hopeful to make the show on Sunday though.....

What happened to Saturday then?

• RMweb Gold

Alas the way Met Office forecasts are going it looks like I shall not be heading north for this attractive looking show. A scheduled 3 hour plus return journey via Brum New St and getting back here to plod 3/4 of a mile up the hill through what is now forecast as 'heavy snow' - which I look to be following back southwards if the Met Office is right - is not an attractive proposition.

Sorry to miss what would have been a new show for me as it looks as if it could be good - so hoping to see some pics from those braver souls who are heading there.

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the other headline thread that is topical tonight. Admission Rates at Exhibitions

At Stafford we are offering for two paying adults on Sunday a offer of free admittance for three children. ON SUNDAY ONLY

Also club membership , free membership of child with paying adult or senior citizens in the hope of encouraging new young members

And it is working.....

Can not say at Stafford we are not trying to encourage younger members to railway modelling.

Terry

Exhb Mgr

Stafford

• RMweb Premium

Alas the way Met Office forecasts are going it looks like I shall not be heading north for this attractive looking show. A scheduled 3 hour plus return journey via Brum New St and getting back here to plod 3/4 of a mile up the hill through what is now forecast as 'heavy snow' - which I look to be following back southwards if the Met Office is right - is not an attractive proposition.

Sorry to miss what would have been a new show for me as it looks as if it could be good - so hoping to see some pics from those braver souls who are heading there.

Where's your Bulldog spirit

Sitting on the train at Southampton ready to leave. Looking forward to a great day. Perhaps wishing I'd booked an earlier train home as I don't really want to get stuck! Best wishes to anyone else travelling today :)

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Just about to de-ice the car and load up my rolling stock for New Haden; no snow, just a bit of frost this side of the showground too.

I'll be operating New Haden for most of the weekend, along with a few other RMweb members (Old Gringo, Avonside1563, Indomitable026, Geoff Cook, wagonbasher and hopefully 2ManySpams too) so come and say hello.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Where's your Bulldog spirit

Hiding under the bedclothes - I 'did my bit' in several past winters and standing on a station platform this morning in -9 (which we have here now it's warmed up a bit) would not have done much good for my chest (it's bad enough walking past open to freezers in supermarkets) let alone waiting 30 minutes for a connection this evening at a station with no waiting room. There comes a time when one puts continued life before even a model railway exhibition, and there's always next year.

Have a good day and looking forward to the pics.

• RMweb Premium

Like The Stationmaster I too have decided that I will have to give it a miss today , I'm not

keen on the idea of having to continually be looking at the weather , so good luck to the

organisers for a good show and I hope I can do next years .

Just looking at the other headline thread that is topical tonight. Admission Rates at Exhibitions

At Stafford we are offering for two paying adults on Sunday a offer of free admittance for three children. ON SUNDAY ONLY

Also club membership , free membership of child with paying adult or senior citizens in the hope of encouraging new young members

And it is working.....

Can not say at Stafford we are not trying to encourage younger members to railway modelling.

Terry

Exhb Mgr

Stafford

Only to be commended Terry....it is difficult today with the other distractions youngsters have.

Well done.

Bob.

Having had a few hours up at the show this morning I can honestly say it's excellent; well done to Terry and the team.

I was castigated by Messrs Wild & Muspratt for not showing that Berrybridge had turned up last night. So early in fact they'd long disappeared for beer and grub before I got there so to redress the balance here's evidence that they're there with Mike's layout just across from the Hornby mag stand.

Berrybridge1.gif

Berrybridge2.jpg

The real star of the show for me, the first time that I've seen it in the flesh is Wombatty's Warren Lane. Superb and the consistent tones and colouring through the layout are excellent. I'm not normally a huge fan of contemporary stuff but for me this is really rather good.

Warren Lane 1.jpg

So; plenty of reasons to get to the show tomorrow. Snow is falling at the moment here but it looks to be running according to Dave Long's forecast of yesterday (thank you) which means there should be no problems for folks attending tomorrow.

Just got back, and the show was definitely up to its usual standard. My favourite of the day was probably Midhurst, although Warren Lane runs it pretty close as regards a general air of realism. I particularly liked the working gantry cranes on Warren Lane - a bit of a challenge for the operators to get the containers in just the right place.

The other one which has to be seen to be believed is Dorehill St Stevens. This is an absolutely huge roundy-roundy which, unusually, has all four sides viewable - the fiddle yard is in the middle. I took a few photos, but none of them really do it justice. There is, though, a

made by its owners, the SVMRC. Well worth going to see.

Incidentally, if you're worried about the weather, I don't think it's likely to be an issue for anyone other than those travelling long distances. Although my car looked like a snowball when I got back to it, the roads around Stafford are well-gritted and clear and there's no problem with access to the showground. So, unless it gets significantly worse overnight, the snow we've had so far isn't a reason not to go.

Well we have now got back home after our first ever visit. Most impressed by the show. Loved Airthrey Park, Alloa and Warren Lane which I have never seen before, great modelling and great operation. Blackmill was at its usual entertaining peak. There were few poor layouts - those that disappointed were mainly having operational gremlins and offered little movement to the punter. Trade support is good even if you have to go out into the car park to give your money to Mr Petty by debit card, still it was amusing to see him shivering until the warm glow of a yorkshireman receiving money thawed him out! The car parking was excellent and well marshalled

Thanks to the Stafford RC team for an enjoyable day out.

Archived