Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

Steve - quoting Mike and Judith's website (http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge):

"7mm kits are produced in .022" Material, with resin mouldings as in the 4mm kits. Wheels, motor, gears and buffers are not provided; the instructions detail recommended components and drive systems."

Good news that the design for the oil-fired Sentinel 0-6-0 is under way - I shall look forward to building that. By the time it appears I might have got around to painting my Thomas Hill-built diesel derivative of the same!

Adam

Work started on Sentinel oil fired 0-6-0 at York last weekend....

Would that be the East Moors/Dorman Long type, like this one Michael?

post-6861-0-06768100-1398189791.jpg

If so, there'll be a couple winging there way here when available!

It should cover both types, I'm building a Dorman Long loco first but the higher cab is on the test etch as well.

Thanks Michael, I prefer the 'squat' look of the Dorman Long version myself.

• RMweb Premium

Is there an 'official' answer to this question or do I take the guess?

A picture of the contents would be brilliant.

The 01 is much the same as most of our 7mm kits. Most of it is etched in .022" brass with rsin mouldings for sandboxes, fuel / water fillers and electric lights. All screws/nuts, wire and tube are provided. You have to supply motor/gearbox - a suggested arrangement with a Mashima 18x33 on a Branchlines gearbox is shown in the drawing but since this is printed exact size you can use it as a template to check the fit of any other combination. In common with most of our recent production the loco can be built rigid or compensated.

Wheels for this loco were something of a problem, in 4mm we had an accurate 7 spoke wheel produced by Markits but the nearest available in 7mm in this diameter has 9 spokes (Slater's 7837K). The 7 spoke overlay obviously doesn't work with 9 so the etch includes 9 spoke overlays, not correct but they do look like Barclay cast iron wheels when finished. You will also need buffers - BR standard pattern available from NMRS (L11) or Markits. I'll put some photos of the test etch model on here later.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

• RMweb Premium

Photos of test etch Barcaly 01

post-1643-0-42866600-1398753177_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-25200700-1398753211_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-75165100-1398753229_thumb.jpg

wheels are Slater's 7837K, these are quoted in the catalogue as having 8 spokes but in fact have 9 - they look quite convincing as long as you don't know that this size of Barclay iron wheel centre should have 7.

post-1643-0-35256300-1398753249_thumb.jpg

Jackshaft cranks are built up from the etch and pressed on to a shouldered axle, connecting rod drive to leading axle.

• Like 14

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

New item on our etches only list,  GC (LNER) B9 4-6-0 - same as D10, does not include boiler or mouldings, same price, £30.

We also have some more stocks of the Fowler "limousine cab" conversion for the Hornby 2-6-4T, some more BR 2MT conversion sets and the latest revision of the Princess etch.

New item on our etches only list,  GC (LNER) B9 4-6-0 - same as D10, does not include boiler or mouldings, same price, £30.

We also have some more stocks of the Fowler "limousine cab" conversion for the Hornby 2-6-4T, some more BR 2MT conversion sets and the latest revision of the Princess etch.

Hallo Michael

Will one have these at EXPO EM North please?

Thanks 

I think I'm on your list as needing one more BR 2MT conversion etch since RailEx. Shall I send a cheque now, or will you be at Scaleforum?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

All the B9 etches sold at Expo EM, we did have some more (revised) Princess etches but they all went immediately. We will re-order these but it's taking about a month to get more. All the other items mentioned still in stock. Next for the GC will probably be J10 0-6-0.

We had the completed test etch model of the NBL/MAN 440hp 0-6-0 on display for the first time, this seemed to get a lot of attention. I'll put some photos of this and other forthcoming items on here later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As promised some photos of forthcoming kits. First the NBL/MAN 440hp 0-6-0DH

post-1643-0-41829000-1410886336_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-97906400-1410886355_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-02079800-1410886379_thumb.jpg

The last photograph shows our now standard compensation system, drive can be on either leading or intermediate axle, these are compensated with beams on each side of the frames. The trailing axle is carried in swinging arms which pass round the fixed crank axle, pivots near the back of the loco. This axle rocks under a knife edge. Since this is only a display model the axles are running in the etched beams, for a running model top hat bushes would be soldered to the inner faces of the beams. These locos were used widely in NE England and Scotland (NCB) and in steelworks, notably Corby and Cardiff East Moors. A number of variations are provided.

post-1643-0-55455200-1410886410_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-88903800-1410886425_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-48731100-1410886604_thumb.jpg

This is another tiny electric loco from the Harton system, there are two of these, No2 and No10, both preserved, 2 at Beamish and 10 at Tanfield. At the moment the test etch model runs on a Tenshodo motor bogie, there will be provision to fit a High Level drive similar to the ones in our chain drive Rustons. Originally fitted with a bow collector, these two, like most of the Harton fleet acquired redundant pantographs from Sunderland trams. This pan will be available separately.

Moving on to pantographs, the long promised 25kv cross arm is now ready for production. This has not been easy to design or produce but the test etch model works very well. since I don't have a loco this will fit on it has been assembled on a brass plate. Testing was done by attaching this with BluTack to one engine casing of a Hunslet Scunthorpe Bo-Bo with very good results.

post-1643-0-66416600-1410886226_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-62847400-1410886247_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

It is actually a stretched version of the BR D2900 - handy for us as the moulded parts are identical and a lot of the etched components as well. There is a whole family of these NBL shunters,  from the 225hp 0-4-0 (best known from Cadbury's fleet), through 330hp 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 up to 500hp 0-6-0 (same external dimensions as the 440hp). There is an utterly bewildering variety of these diesel hydraulic shunters, even in the BR fleet - with 5 separate kits already there's still a batch of 10 we haven't covered yet (D2908-19).