Class 57 Sound - Which supplier is best?

richierich

• RMweb Premium

I've done a search but haven't yielded anything.

So a simple question is between SWD, Howes, Olivia's Models & Digitrains, which is the better solution?

• SWD, Howes & Olivia's Models - All use ESU Loksound V4.0 Sound decoders.
  • Digitrains - Use the Zimo MX645 sound decoder

Having heard the Digitrains sound decoder (Zimo MX645) and its very good, and a cheaper solution at around 80GBP compared to the 100-120GBP for a ESU Lokound solution.

The only thing that I'm wondering is for the Class 57, whether the suppliers use a generic (American?) sound sample from an American Loco fitted with the GM EMD 645-E3 (57/0 & 57601) or GM EMD 645-F3B (57/3 & 57/6) engine, with an overlay of British sounds such as air horn etc, rather than a recording from a real Class 57 loco?

• RMweb Gold

i know howes use real 57 sounds, a 57/0 i believe (will confirm asap), i have recorded a set of 57/3 sounds for bryan to play with as and when he gets time.

there are vids of my one in the "sound chip video" thread or on my youtube channel "fastlinegrid", it is on a 3.5 chip, bryan has not yet done the 57 for the v4 chip so you will get the 3.5 sounds on the V4 for now but he will reblow it once he has it done

as for other suppliers sounds im sure someone else can confirm the sound source

• RMweb Premium

Mark, sounds pretty good. I've grown to like the 57, because it sounds well in my opinion slightly like a Valenta powered HST. Much better than a ying ying 66 :sungum:

One thing that did cross my mind is Bachmann are producing a factory fitted DCC sound 57, with release shown at present as Nov/Dec. Wonder who's sound they'll be using?

Edited by richierich

So a simple question is between SWD, Howes, Olivia's Models & Digitrains, which is the better solution?

Having heard the Digitrains sound decoder (Zimo MX645) and its very good, and a cheaper solution at around 80GBP compared to the 100-120GBP for a ESU Lokound solution.

The only thing that I'm wondering is for the Class 57, whether the suppliers use a generic (American?) sound sample from an American Loco fitted with the GM EMD 645-E3 (57/0 & 57601) or GM EMD 645-F3B (57/3 & 57/6) engine, with an overlay of British sounds such as air horn etc, rather than a recording from a real Class 57 loco?

I can assure you that the Digitrains Zimo MX 645 Class 57 sound project was compiled with genuine recent recordings of a Class 57 loco. As you have heard for yourself, the sounds are very good.

And at £80 against £120, that's a '3 for the price of 2' offer, Ha Ha.

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I cannot speak for the 57 sounds but previous experience with SWD sounds says the actual sound quality is very good but with the proviso that they suffer from lag. Howes sounds respond promptly to throttle changes where the SWD ones force you to drive to the sounds. I have owned SWD (or Bachmann's own variations on SWD ones) in classes 20, 24, 37, 47, 52 and 66 and driven friends' classes 25 and 45 and this applied to most of them, with the 25 and 66 being the most responsive and the 24 and 52 probably the slowest for the sounds to respond to throttle changes.

I had the 20, 24 and 52 reblown by Howes! I also had the 66 reblown although the Bachmann/SWD package was not bad.

Here is the video I took farly recently of the Howes 57 - sorry about the shaky camera work though.

MP4 format:

th_HowesClass57_zps93c94ffe.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot speak for the 57 sounds but previous experience with SWD sounds says the actual sound quality is very good but with the proviso that they suffer from lag. Howes sounds respond promptly to throttle changes where the SWD ones force you to drive to the sounds. I have owned SWD (or Bachmann's own variations on SWD ones) in classes 20, 24, 37, 47, 52 and 66 and driven friends' classes 25 and 45 and this applied to most of them, with the 25 and 66 being the most responsive and the 24 and 52 probably the slowest for the sounds to respond to throttle changes.

I had the 20, 24 and 52 reblown by Howes! I also had the 66 reblown although the Bachmann/SWD package was not bad.

Here is the video I took farly recently of the Howes 57 - sorry about the shaky camera work though.

MP4 format:

th_HowesClass57_zps93c94ffe.jpg

Agree with what your saying mate!! i have so much more fun running me howes,over me swd sounds....
  • Like 1

I'd say ALL that are available are EXCELLENT...Horses for courses as they say.....

Having listened to a few different types there ARE differences....

The SWD version tends to have 3 or maybe 4 stages of revs as the speed increases...This makes driving it more fun as you don't always want full thrash with a light engine!

What 57 are you thinking of putting it in????? I ask this as I'm not sure the SWD is from a 57/0 as it doesn't QUITE SCREAM like a 57/0...

The versions I've heard that scream are the Howes and the one by Coastal Dcc...Both of these sound superb....

I'm sure all are on you tube to view....

I've not listened to Olivias nor Digitrains so can't comment on those....

Regards

• 9 years later...