Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

does the picture in the book show the yellow on the roof? ive never seen one like that.

ive seen this style, which is what I think they should have done..

post-27-0-23115400-1340701459.jpg

or the style done by Triang with the yellow further down around the buffers, but still with blue roof..

post-27-0-36430500-1340701523_thumb.jpg

does the picture in the book show the yellow on the roof? ive never seen one like that.

ive seen this style, which is what I think they should have done..

or the style done by Triang with the yellow further down around the buffers, but still with blue roof..

Yes, it shows the livery exactly as modelled Michael.

The first of your pics shows a WR 8-car, not an ex-Midland 6-car; again the Triang livery is supposed to be a WR set. The only way an ex-Midland 6-car set can have that style of yellow nose is when the fairing was cut back and MU cables applied. Triang took some liberties but it doesn't mean Bachmann should follow suit.

• RMweb Premium

It just goes to show how ugly and over the top the full yellow ends were on BR stock.

It will be interesting to see the ratio of no-custard dip / custard dip Bachmann BPs sold a year on from the initial release.

It will be interesting to see the ratio of no-custard dip / custard dip Bachmann BPs sold a year on from the initial release.

Not that we'll ever know but retailers stocks won't be an indicator as the production volumes will be different. Therefore the custard one may be the collectors choice.

so if it did run like that, what region did it run like that on?

would it have been its original route from Manchester to St Pancras.

or on the Western?

I believe that livery was worn while it was on test on the WR but before the MU cables were fitted.

This one would have been quite interesting to have modeled. Not sure if both ends were so treated or wether it ever ventured out of swindon like this.

http://www.flickr.co...jon/6337677630/

One for a future release maybe.

[invisible Ink]Can you please read posts so that information doesn't have to be repeated? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47862-Bachmann-midland-pullman/page__st__250&do=findComment&comment=723471[/invisible Ink]

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful model, saw both Midland and WR sets in my younger days, It blew me away seeing the beautiful clean lines and crisp livery, plus the wonderful crescent on the front, especially as steam was running down. Sorry if this has already been asked but do Bachmann have any plans for a WR version? If not then sad to say I will not be buying one.

Sorry if this has already been asked but do Bachmann have any plans for a WR version? If not then sad to say I will not be buying one.

No plans at present as it would require substantially more tooling than the 2 x 3 car approach which can be used for the Midland. You cannot say never these days as if there was sufficient demand and the market could support the higher price it could command it could happen some years ahead but they'd be very unlikely to dilute sales of the initial MR sets which, after all, are likely to be with us for 20+ years now.

I was wondering if any mention has been made of a sound fitted unit?

I appreciate that this would mean that 2 sound decoders would be required ( one for each power car), whilst I have no objection to fitting sound units myself, given the obvious assembly compexity the BP will probably have I would prefer not to have to dismantle the 2 power cars!

Also the RRP would probably exceed the £500 mark.

So I guess it may be a long time coming!

Totally as an aside I was browsing a website yesterday on my childhood home town Levenshulme Manchester, in particular Levenshulme SOUTH station when I came upon a photo of the old Iron Footbridge near to the UCP Tripeworks ( very smelly) from which we used to view the Midland Pullman on its way 'home' to Reddish TMD after its arrival from St pancras

I was wondering if any mention has been made of a sound fitted unit?

Not that I know of Steve, as you say it would have a major cost impact. Accessing the power car is very straightforward with 4 screws to be removed, 2 just behind each bogie and the body levers off. Unlike the SR units there's not much that can be damaged in removal so it's certainly not too frightening a prospect. There's certainly space for a round speaker in the section where the decoder(s) fits.

• RMweb Premium

Not that we'll ever know but retailers stocks won't be an indicator as the production volumes will be different. Therefore the custard one may be the collectors choice.

So I bet that a few custard dipped Bachmann BPs will feature on the ever popular eBay Madness thread in a few years time! :D

Not that I know of Steve, as you say it would have a major cost impact. Accessing the power car is very straightforward with 4 screws to be removed, 2 just behind each bogie and the body levers off. Unlike the SR units there's not much that can be damaged in removal so it's certainly not too frightening a prospect. There's certainly space for a round speaker in the section where the decoder(s) fits.

That is indeed good news Andy thanks for the information. I will certainly now consider fitting sound decoders if/when any become available.

The fact that it has 4 screw access is certainly a great plus point, it seems that Bachmann are learning from the progression from no screws in the CEP (and many sore fingers) to 2 screws in the EPB which is a good improvement.

Accessing the power car is very straightforward with 4 screws to be removed, 2 just behind each bogie and the body levers off. Unlike the SR units there's not much that can be damaged in removal so it's certainly not too frightening a prospect. There's certainly space for a round speaker in the section where the decoder(s) fits.

This being the case Andy, it should be fairly straightforward to remove the DCC chips and fit blanking plugs?

I ask because I have Relcos hard-wired into my control sysytem and do not wish to fry a $500 purchase!

You seem to have become the (un)official mouthpiece for the BP, hope you receive one gratis for your efforts!

Cheers, Peter C.

This being the case Andy, it should be fairly straightforward to remove the DCC chips and fit blanking plugs?

Although it's Bachmann's intention to supply all as DCC-fitted for simplicity I can confirm it's possible to do so and they'll run on DC (as they will with the decoders fitted) but understand your needs for the Relco.

I hope I'm not a spokesperson of any form (besides a BP will not fit any of my interests no matter how good it is ;)) just hopefully able to pass on useful information.

This pic shows the insides with the decoder removed.

insideBP.jpg

I ask because I have Relcos hard-wired into my control sysytem and do not wish to fry a $500 purchase!

You seem to have become the (un)official mouthpiece for the BP, hope you receive one gratis for your efforts!

Cheers, Peter C.

I have Gaugemaster track cleaners on my layout will I need to remove the DCC chips?

Jack

Hi

I believe they work the same as a Relco so yes.

Cheers

Paul

I bought a second hand Falcon and ran it on my layout which has Relco track cleaners and when I opened Falcon up it had a decoder fitted. I have not removed the decoder and it runs on DC with Relco track cleaner with no problems.

Archived