Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Cracking model and photos but I'd be stretching it to have one on Brent in the period 1939-1960. :no: Glad to hear the full run has sold out and people that have asked for one for years have put their money where their mouth is.

• RMweb Premium

Cracking model and photos but I'd be stretching it to have one on Brent in the period 1939-1960. :no: Glad to hear the full run has sold out and people that have asked for one for years have put their money where their mouth is.

Hi

I hope the N version is as good.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I hope the 4mm Western Region version is as good.

End of daydream and back to thoughts of the standby set. :sadclear:

Well if all the Midland Pullman sets have already sold, that must bode well for a possible WR set?. The trouble is if not, then the only option is a Midland set just as they were transfered to the WR in 1966, however I think they had the MJ cables fitted before they entered revenue earning traffic, so a crew training run is the only excuse left!!

Bob.C

Well if all the Midland Pullman sets have already sold, that must bode well for a possible WR set?. The trouble is if not, then the only option is a Midland set just as they were transfered to the WR in 1966, however I think they had the MJ cables fitted before they entered revenue earning traffic, so a crew training run is the only excuse left!!

Bob.C

The trouble is that the Western Regon version is quite different. Only one of the three car types used on the Midland version is used on the Western one. If they weren't so different I'd have brought one in a shot as they look quite lovely and I like the Blue Pullmans. It would take almost the same investment from Bachmann (or someone else) to produce a proper Western Pullman as it has to produce this one so I doubt it would happen. I'd love to be wrong though!

It would take investment from Bachmann for the new body toolings for sure but the chassis and bogie toolings can be reused and one of the vehicles. A sell-out production run indicates that a lot of people who posted on wish-lists are willing to put their money where their mouths are.

Whilst nothing is ever guaranteed. I am sure that the news of a sell-out can do nothing to harm the chances of a WR version appearing at some point. Whether it is an 8-car set or an MU-fitted 6-car set remains to be seen.

• RMweb Gold

It would take investment from Bachmann for the new body toolings for sure but the chassis and bogie toolings can be reused and one of the vehicles. A sell-out production run indicates that a lot of people who posted on wish-lists are willing to put their money where their mouths are.

Not quite - at this stage it shows that a lot of retailers are willing to put their money where they hope their market will be or that they have the right number of pre-orders to justify the quantity they are ordering. But having said that I do hope for Bachmann's sake that it is also a sell out at retail level, just as it has been at trade level, and that the wish-listers really are going to put their money where their mouths have long been.

Whilst nothing is ever guaranteed. I am sure that the news of a sell-out can do nothing to harm the chances of a WR version appearing at some point. Whether it is an 8-car set or an MU-fitted 6-car set remains to be seen.

I can certainly see a MU fitted 6-car set being done but it's still a vast investment to produce a proper Western Region Blue Pullman. New toolings for the power cars and the two other types, new interiors and I believe that the underframe fittings were also different on some of the coaches. By the time inflation has been taken into account inbetween now and getting one and the fact it would be an eight car set I can see the price heading towards £500 which is a lot of money. Still I'd buy one!

• RMweb Premium

I can certainly see a MU fitted 6-car set being done but it's still a vast investment to produce a proper Western Region Blue Pullman. New toolings for the power cars and the two other types, new interiors and I believe that the underframe fittings were also different on some of the coaches. By the time inflation has been taken into account inbetween now and getting one and the fact it would be an eight car set I can see the price heading towards £500 which is a lot of money. Still I'd buy one!

I d sign up for an 8 car WR set too!! (Just dont tell the wife!!)

• RMweb Gold

Excellent photographs Andy.

As someone who never saw a prototype Blue Pullman (or B*** P******* as we used to have to call them here) can anyone thrown some light on the vertical line in the middle of all the windows. Were there two separate panes of glass, or is that just a blip on the pre production model?

• RMweb Premium

Excellent photographs Andy.

As someone who never saw a prototype Blue Pullman (or B*** P******* as we used to have to call them here) can anyone thrown some light on the vertical line in the middle of all the windows. Were there two separate panes of glass, or is that just a blip on the pre production model?

The line represents the central venetian blind guide between the two panes of the double-glazed window - each window-seat passenger could adjust his / her own blind via a winding handle!

The main compromise that I see is the table-lamp, which should be an opal glass shade on an angled chrome 'stalk'. In the interests of working table lamps, Bachmann have understandably compromised on a transparent truncated cone.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

(Who has so far resisted ordering a Bachmann set as his mega-expensive Kitmaster / Black Beetle rake is *so* close to completion, if only he could find time to reinstate his modelling desk after the move to Cornwall)!

That looks a lovely model, way before my time, but Ive always liked the Blue Pullman .. those couplings though between the cars are awful, much like the Hornby V** (without wishing to start that discussion here) ... otherwise though the previous posts that mention that its sold out at Bachmann I think speak for how popular this model is already become! got to give Credit to Bachmann for a job well done though

NL

That looks a lovely model, way before my time, but Ive always liked the Blue Pullman .. those couplings though between the cars are awful, much like the Hornby V** (without wishing to start that discussion here) ... otherwise though the previous posts that mention that its sold out at Bachmann I think speak for how popular this model is already become! got to give Credit to Bachmann for a job well done though

NL

If you have a better design of coupling then please feel free to post it up here...

bearing in mind that it has to carry a 4-pole electrical connection and have sufficient strength to work the close coupling whilst resisting the forces of motors at each end of a rather heavy six coach train,

Dear Nay-Sayers,

Please note the above model that is 'never going to happen' and the two A4s that are currently docking in Liverpool, which will also 'never happen'.

Cheers,

Pix

;)

I'm not entirely sure I see the connection. It will never cease to amaze what individuals or groups can achieve, Tornado probably being the best example of that. Bringing two A4s back to Britain though will not be a comercial decision, ultimately producing a WR Blue Pullman will be a comercial decision. If someone thinks money can be made then it might happen. It will take a lot of money to make it happen though and no one's going to invest that money if they think they're not going to get it back and some more on top. Time will tell.

• RMweb Gold

The line represents the central venetian blind guide between the two panes of the double-glazed window - each window-seat passenger could adjust his / her own blind via a winding handle!

Thanks for that John

So who will be the first to produce working venition blinds?

Thanks for that John

So who will be the first to produce working venition blinds?

Same people who are going to producing working toilets as those are also modelled. Now how to find £300 for pre-order before the manufacturing run gets swallowed up straight away on release.

• RMweb Gold

Bob.C

Surely there were some posh-nosh charters to Cup Semi Finals at <insert name of city here> ?

• RMweb Gold

Surely there were some posh-nosh charters to Cup Semi Finals at <insert name of city here> ?

I think that one of the saddest aspects of the Blue Pullman's history is that they did not last until a few years later when "posh" charter trains became more commonplace. They would have been ideal for the dining charter market.

• RMweb Gold

I think that one of the saddest aspects of the Blue Pullman's history is that they did not last until a few years later when "posh" charter trains became more commonplace. They would have been ideal for the dining charter market.

A theory postulated by quite a few WR Drivers was that they were got shot of because they would have shown up the HST when it arrived (i.e. the cab was more acceptable as a workplace than that of the HST?, I doubt if many Drivers actually travelled in them on the cushions; but I do think the catering service was far better than that on HSTs)

Dear Nay-Sayers,

Please note the above model that is 'never going to happen' and the two A4s that are currently docking in Liverpool, which will also 'never happen'.

Cheers,

Pix

;)

And also that the Bearded Wonder will not lose his WCML trainset?

Regarding a neater coupler system, something that would make it simpler is rethinking the number of electrical connections actually required to control the lighting, as in this case. Since the individual unpowered vehicles pick up on all wheels via pinpoints, (excellent, no incremental rolling friction) the power is present in each vehicle to run the lights. So all that is required is a reference signal for a circuit in each coach to use in light level setting, which an all conductive coupler can carry, with return via one rail. No signal on the wire as when coach is uncoupled = no lights. Gives folks who want to change to a different coupler system a much easier time too. Someone will probably now tell us that MERG have such a system on the shelf...

...Please note the above model that is 'never going to happen' ...

The timing really is 'interesting'. Bachmann having previously expressed doubts about viability of this very product, then took the plunge - presumably based on good financial results in response to raising product quality - and now find themselves selling it in diffficult market conditions. You couldn't engineer a better test for what the market will really stand in pricing to get a better quality RTR product. Hopefully another significant way point in burying the old attitude of 'got to be cheap and cheerful for the OO market' which left our RTR bogged down in mediocrity for so many decades while HO improved steadily.

Regarding a neater coupler system, something that would make it simpler is rethinking the number of electrical connections actually required to control the lighting, as in this case. Since the individual unpowered vehicles pick up on all wheels via pinpoints, (excellent, no incremental rolling friction) the power is present in each vehicle to run the lights. So all that is required is a reference signal for a circuit in each coach to use in light level setting, which an all conductive coupler can carry, with return via one rail. No signal on the wire as when coach is uncoupled = no lights. Gives folks who want to change to a different coupler system a much easier time too. Someone will probably now tell us that MERG have such a system on the shelf...

I'm not sure that would allow dcc control of the lighting, though I'm happy to be proved wrong.

The other point of having a robust and tightly clipped coupling is to prevent any compression or stretch problems within the train that might be encountered using other coupling types where two motor units are employed in different portions of the train.

(Probably why HSTs and MUs use Buckeye/tightlocks instead of 3-links)

Given the work it has to undertake, I dont find it too bad, and once on the line is not really visible, unless viewing from rail level.

Archived