Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

• 2 weeks later...

The 2012/3 Bachmann catalogue lists 31-256DC as nanking blue with yellow ends, but the 6-car sets did not run in service in this livery so far as I am aware until after they were fitted with MU jumpers. So, will Bachmann be doing the version with jumpers and exposed coupling, or a version that never ran as such in normal service?

Please forgive a niave question, but does the expression "six car set" mean six vehicles including the two power cars, or is it six intermediate coaches plus two power cars = 8 vehicles?

Colin

The Midland set is six cars including the power cars - three cars are duplicated to make up the full train.

• RMweb Gold

Please forgive a niave question, but does the expression "six car set" mean six vehicles including the two power cars, or is it six intermediate coaches plus two power cars = 8 vehicles?

ISTR the Midland Pullman was formed of 6 cars only, while the Western Region sets were 8 cars.

• RMweb Gold

I saw them rotting away at Old Oak before they went for scrap!

I was never much of a shed basher myself but I did tag along on our school rail club's (916 Club) outings. We did OOC while the Blue Pullmans were there (1974?) and were allowed to have our lunch sitting in them. We had to remove some broken glass from the seats! Would never happen these days.

I guess some friends may still have photos.

The poster shows the original timings of summer 1960. Later alterations saw an earlier start from Manchester at 7.45am with a London arrival at 11am. The fill-in turn was extended to Nottm, leaving St Pan at 11.20am and taking 2 hours exactly. The 3.30pm return was back in London at 5.30pm, for the 6.10pm evening departure to Manchester.

Note on the artwork, the white panel not extending over the kitchen car windows.

Before the sets entered service, the white band extended the whole length of the passenger accomodation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just been advised by email that the BP should be with Hattons on or after October 1st 2012.

Look's as if it will be my Christmas present from the other half this year,that will save me emptying my piggy bank!

Pete.

I must admit, I'm tempted to buy one just for the hell of it. I'll just have to find a reason to run it on the Settle to Carlisle line, that's all!!

They did sometimes wander off the beaten track for railtours and specials. Plymouth and Hull both saw them as one-offs. Never too hard to find an excuse to invoke the 1st rule!. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I must admit, I'm tempted to buy one just for the hell of it. I'll just have to find a reason to run it on the Settle to Carlisle line, that's all!!

Jeff

It might be old age but I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo in a magazine many years ago which could be the answer to a Physicman's prayer (but not his bank manager). All we need now is for someone to prove I'm suffering delusions of advancing age or that my memory is better than even I think it sometimes can be.

• RMweb Premium

They did sometimes wander off the beaten track for railtours and specials. Plymouth and Hull both saw them as one-offs. Never too hard to find an excuse to invoke the 1st rule!. ;)

Oh, I'm trying...oh, I'm trying! The 1st rule has been my saviour on a few occasions. However, the 1st rule and my wallet are incompatible...and my wallet always seems to lose!

But thanks...you've helped with my decision. Lol!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It might be old age but I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo in a magazine many years ago which could be the answer to a Physicman's prayer (but not his bank manager). All we need now is for someone to prove I'm suffering delusions of advancing age or that my memory is better than even I think it sometimes can be.

Mike - what is this - a conspiracy? Now behave yourself!! :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Michael. I think I will use Rule 1 and assume the BP took a wrong turn at Preston...ended up at Carnforth and thence via Hellifield onto the S&C!! Better start saving my pennies if it's an October release.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

furthest north I can find a pic of one is at Preston, although it was heading to Wembley.

http://www.prestonst...p_display_media

One was noted at West Hartlepool with a train from Coventry for a rugby match, 13 March 1965 according to Six Bells. Wonder where it went for servicing ?

Douglas

Just found a picture purporting to be a Blue Pullman at Worcester.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glevumblues/5556233791/

I had not heard of them running here before although I know the 6-car midland sets were tried on a few experimental services such as Paddington - Oxford. Can anyone shed any light on this working? I know the BPs were occasionally used on railtour duties but I cannot find anything matching the date given. Can anyone familiar with Worcester confirm if the location is accurate?

It was there for the Open Day... I've seen one or two shots of it from the other end of the shed yard, with a few Hydraulics scattered about as well. My guess is it was either taken there by an Old Oak crew from Old Oak, or Bristol men from Bath Road.

;)

Archived