RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.2dc409323f920e11510e7380853ac0d0.png

7 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

Are Welsh minutes longer than English minutes?

Only takes 6 Welsh minutes as opposed to 8 English minutes.

It's because Welsh miles are different too...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Time is a somewhat nebulous concept at best, and perhaps more so in Welsh, the language that gave us translations into English like 'now in a minute (perfectly grammatically correct Welsh but in the medium of the English language)', which means at some time or other sooner or later when I get around to it and if you're lucky.

"Time is an illusion, lunch-time doubly so".

Douglas Adams

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.2dc409323f920e11510e7380853ac0d0.png

That's because they make the English speakers go the long way. Pedestrians as well as taxi drivers! The Welsh are at the front of the queue at the shops.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Not always...

20221207_164726.jpg.a59e255aad6214152a707b3aa491e7de.jpg

Ha!!  I spent years living there, you don't fool me for one minute.....

.....   and I taught photoshop in school, too....     🤣

PS. I will admit to being on the cliffs of the North coast 'though...   🤔

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Nick C said:

Sunstantially different in fact - 6.17km (link)! - I knew Irish miles were different (2.048km), but didn't know about Welsh ones...

So it means you get different miles per gallon results when you drive your car in England and over the border in Wales? (Alisdair)

• Funny 2

15 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

So it means you get different miles per gallon results when you drive your car in England and over the border in Wales? (Alisdair)

Of course, but hardly noticeable when you've gone up and down all those mountain things, they have there.   🙄

• Funny 1

36 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There was a time when the price of petrol dropped at a rate commensurate with proximity to Milford Haven as you went west.  

Similarly in NW Wales as you got closer to Stanlow.

Or rather, as you drove into Wales on holiday, the pump prices rocketed up!

Edited by Hroth
Rephrased...
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ardbealach said:

2 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Of course, but hardly noticeable when you've gone up and down all those mountain things, they have there.   🙄

Perhaps that's why they were different - same distance horizontally...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

That's right.  Switzerland  would be the largest country in Europe if somebody ironed out all the wrinkles. 

Don't the Swiss tend to live longer than most other nations?  So, would the iron be being applied to the topology or the population?     :) 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.  To the extent that their longevity is predicated upon healthy mountain air, presumably both, but if their longevity is predicated upon wealth and standards of living, the ironing will make no difference to it.

I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/01/2023 at 14:57, jcredfer said:

Witnessed on one Tactical Evaluation at an RAF station in the far North of the Kingdom {first time I've used that expression feeling it's an accurate expression}, there was a practice Fly-off {cuzz - Buckets of, Exercise, Soviet Sunshine were on their way}.   Umpires went round ticking their Clip-board checklists and stopped next to a Phantom, which was mid-service, so still lacking Flaps and Bang Seats.  An umpire paused by the aircraft and stated that it could not be included in the ready count.  The {RN} pilot happened to be standing by and disagreed.  The {RAF} umpire stated, firmly, that it wasn't fully servicible, due to having no Ejector seat and no Flaps.

The Navy pilot, looked the RAF umpire and stated, that, with the scenario threat of incoming nukes, I'll grab a box and take my chances, up there.  With almost a "Gotcha sneer" the RAF umpire said, "How the hell are you going to land a Phantom, with no Flaps?"  Calmly the Navy pilot turned to look the Umpire straight between the eyes and very firmly, said -

-  "Fast!"

Looking at the Umpire's reaction made it very difficult indeed, to keep a straight face.   🤣

NB. He did get tick on the checklist - and a note was made, for future exercises, to include different standards for what could count as a flyable aircraft.   🧐

It may be flyable, but is it landable?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is true or they were winding me up, but while working at St.Athan, stilll an RAF station in those days, the 80s, for a deep-cleaning contractor, in a 'sensitive' area where a sergeant was on hand to make sure I didn't 'see' anything I shouldn't, I was told by said sergeant, nice enough chap, good company in the lunch and tea breaks, that everybody in the RAF is trained to fly an aeroplane , mostly on those little Chipmunk trainers they had, and irresepective of what their job was; even the toilet cleaner had had a go in the Chipmunk.

The idea behind this was that, if the airfield came under attack, ground or air, they could jump into the nearest aircraft, start it up, and take off in it, in the hope that they could find somewhere safe to land it, and the hope that they could actually land it, as with airfields under attack it would be needed.  Seemed a bit unlikely to me; imagine having had an afternoon in a Chipmunk with an instructor a few years ago and then having to fire up a £6million Tornado and flick all the corrent knobs and switches to get it airborne!  Might have worked in WW1, but now?  Don't think so!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

I often see this sign when visiting my daughter. And i always this that its a most unsuitable wheechair access...bump, bump, bump...

20210715_191825.jpg.dee207951a239d03dfd51f2e501c53c3.jpg

That white partial circle on the right looks like the wheelchair symbol indicating the real ramp.

• Agree 5