The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

Not a sign but a piece of graffiti that I will alway remember was the one I saw on the wooden panels preventing access to the building work taking place at Kings Cross station in 1977. It had quite a number of advertisements on it, one of which was which simply said "Jesus Saves". Below this some had added "But Moses Invests".

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Not a sign but a piece of graffiti that I will alway remember was the one I saw on the wooden panels preventing access to the building work taking place at Kings Cross station in 1977. It had quite a number of advertisements on it, one of which was which simply said "Jesus Saves". Below this some had added "But Moses Invests".

Or Charlton (insert player of choice) scores off the rebound.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Not a sign but a piece of graffiti that I will always remember was the one I saw on the wooden panels preventing access to the building work taking place at Kings Cross station in 1977. It had quite a number of advertisements on it, one of which was which simply said "Jesus Saves". Below this some had added "But Moses Invests".

Often followed by a third line "and Zorro destroys!".

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Cricket commentator Brian Johnson came out with a few much-quoted bloopers, such as the time when Michael Holding of the West Indies was bowling to Peter Willey of England in a Test match at The Oval in 1976:

"The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey"

Other gems include:

"There's Neil Harvey standing at leg slip with his legs wide apart, waiting for a tickle"

and when Ian Botham was out hit wicket, trying to hurdle the stumps, it was because he had failed to "get his leg over"

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Designed by Lemon perhaps?

Lemon is of course associated with the LMS, between Fowler & Stanier as CME.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Lemon

The 10 0-4-4Ts are usually credited to Stanier, but in reality it was a design mostly under Lemon's tenure, with some details by Stanier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Lemon is of course associated with the LMS, between Fowler & Stanier as CME.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Lemon

The 10 0-4-4Ts are usually credited to Stanier, but in reality it was a design mostly under Lemon's tenure, with some details by Stanier.

Such accreditations are absurd - the Derby LDO staff dusted off some drawings made in Johnson's time, added a boiler dating from Deeley's period in office - or possibly early in Fowler's tenure - and added a cab of the usual sort, probably starting from the drawing for the cab of the Standard 3F 0-6-0T. Stanier, I suppose, as the manager-in-chief, was asked to sign the drawings off in his first few weeks in tenure, with the operating department breathing down his neck.

Definitely a lemon!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I think it's very much a Southern or Midlands name. I don't think I've seen one Oop North.

Scrub that. I've just found one in Preston and a derelict one on the Dock Road in Liverpool. I don't think it's very common up here though.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think it's very much a Southern or Midlands name. I don't think I've seen one Oop North.

Scrub that. I've just found one in Preston and a derelict one on the Dock Road in Liverpool. I don't think it's very common up here though.

Jason

Definitely one in Derby when I was there nearly 50 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1