Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

There has been an update to the gate stock on the Kernow site today. They have advised that the models have been manufactured, but are still in China as the manufacturer now requires full payment before shipment. Kernow have offered to maintain the original pre order price if pre payment is now made, otherwise existing orders will be at the revised higher price. The sweetener is that sea shipment is due to start on 6th October with arrival at Kernow beginning November. There is a deadline for contacting to accept pre payment at original pre order price which is 17 October as the offer expires on the 18th Oct. With the short lead in I'm happy to pre pay for my two sets. The discount of £30 is a very good offer from Kernow with a delivery within 2 months, so nothing to think about really.

Can you link to this as I can't find it and I have one set on order.

Sorry can't post link as am away from home till Saturday, using my android smartphone and don't know how to copy a link with this device. However it's not hard to find. Go to Kernow home page, drop down to the bottom and you'll see an icon for their limited editions, open that then drop down the items past yhe ready to plant buildings until you find the icon for the gate stock. At present the icon doesn't have a product photo but does have the product name alongside.

Sorry can't post link as am away from home till Saturday, using my android smartphone and don't know how to copy a link with this device. However it's not hard to find. Go to Kernow home page, drop down to the bottom and you'll see an icon for their limited editions, open that then drop down the items past yhe ready to plant buildings until you find the icon for the gate stock. At present the icon doesn't have a product photo but does have the product name alongside.

Found it thank you, the link is

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/117/LSWR_Gate_Stock

I'll sort them out next week all going well to do my bit to help.

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit off when your supplier holds you to ransom (the factory not Kernow).

Agree, but still a worrying trend, crowd-funding is one thing but this seems to be just as you described ie - almost commercial blackmail. 

Surely this is no more than a change in terms as Kernow MRC themselves make mention of on the gate stock web page?

When first commissioned the factory may have been willing to extend credit and accept payment after the items were shipped knowing that they had to be sold to realise capital with which to pay the bill.  Not only has there been a long delay in the production process (not the fault of Kernow MRC nor its customers but very likely affecting both retailer and their Chinese factory financially) but the Global marketplace and the Chinese economy have shifted in that time.

If a factory now wishes to receive full payment for goods they have already produced before releasing them to their customer then that is hardly blackmail.  No-one is really being held to ransom.  The goods cost money, the Chinese will be under pressure to pay their workforce and to recover their own costs.  

Kernow MRC in their turn, along with other retailers, charge us in full before releasing (mailing or handing over the counter) goods to us, the end consumer, yet we do not claim that to be retail blackmail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could be an expensive month if the secr bird cage stock turns up

Already on ebay in crimson.

I think we are kidding ourselves if we imagine that the rest of the world is always going to play by Marquess of Queensberry rules. And as Gwiwer points out, these have been a long time in gestation. Kernow is up agin it here. Let's hope sufficient pre-orders get paid up pronto. Mine will be. 

• Like 4

£30 is not to be sniffed at on what looks to be a quality model.

Could be an expensive month if the secr bird cage stock turns up

Nik

£30 per set means by all 4 and you can almost have a fifth for free!

A very expensive month - 2nd release of Hornby ex-LWSR 58' stock, Bachmann Birdcages, Kernow Gate stock, Hornby Sunshine Black KIng Arthur......

Oh, I forgot - Hornby H class too!

Edited by PrestburyJack

Unfortunate, certainly. However:

1. no-one is forcing us to pay anything;

2. no-one is demanding money, we are free to cancel our orders;

3. maintaining the original price after so long is remarkable;

4. we are at liberty to wait until Kernow has them in stock and then pay in the usual way. We would pay more but after this length of time, that is not unusual; and

5. Kernow avoids bank charges and we get the models at the original price. Everyone wins, except the bankers. Would you weep for them?

I shall pay Kernow in advance. The shop opens in twenty-five minutes.

Edit: point one amended.  Shop opens in twelve minutes.

Edited by No Decorum

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunate, certainly. However:

1. no-one is forcing us to pay anything, so it cannot be blackmail;

2. no-one is demanding money, we are free to cancel our orders;

3. maintaining the original price after so long is remarkable;

4. we are at liberty to wait until Kernow has them in stock and then pay in the usual way. We would pay more but after this length of time, that is not unusual; and

5. Kernow avoids bank charges and we get the models at the original price. Everyone wins, except the bankers. Would you weep for them?

I shall pay Kernow in advance. The shop opens in twenty-five minutes.

I think you have misunderstood. The comment made was that the factory was almost holding Kernow to blackmail, not that Kernow were blackmailing us, the customer.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I think you have misunderstood. The comment made was that the factory was almost holding Kernow to blackmail, not that Kernow were blackmailing us, the customer.

Roy

And I think we have to accept that this is the way that Chinese manufacturers do business.Pay at the point of completion of order at the factory gate....or the goods stay right where they are.I have paid upfront now for both the NBL Warship and the Bulleid diesel and have had no qualms in so doing. I would not hesitate to do so again.I think Chris Trerise is just being sensible in offering a benefit to customers and in so doing helping his cash flow.

• RMweb Gold

A quick call and all done. A firm it is a pleasure to help. 

Indeed.  In my experience they're a model (!) of how a business should be proactive and communicate effectively with their customers. 

I've made a 'phone call this morning which has been dealt with efficiently by Kernow.  I'll remain a happy and loyal customer.

• RMweb Gold

I have one on Pre order and would of not spotted this had I not checked it here, did folk get an e-mail on this or were Kernow just going to leave the heads up on their website?

I haven't had an email to date - and my email address is known to Kernow, as they showed last week confirming a mail order despatch. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No contact made here yet either but .....

They may well have a large number of customers to email each one of whom would require a unique email to be sent. That will take time.

Also in my case Chris knows I am attending Worthing MRC exhibition on Saturday and will see him there at which time my plastic will no doubt feel the need to be exercised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had the email yesterday and sorted it out quickly over the phone this morning. The credit card is taking a bit of a bashing at the moment, note to myself - put aside a regular amount to pay for pre-orders - God knows, in the world of model railways, you usually have plenty of time to save up for newly announced model!

Looking forward to getting the decorated versions, I managed to buy an engineering sample off Chris at the Taunton event back in April and am very impressed. One fine day I will attempt to paint it.

all the best

Godfrey

Decided not to wait for the email from Kernow - phoned this morning to supply card details - so £30 saved. It will be just about 6 years from placing the order to receiving the models but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Just did the same.

• RMweb Gold

And I think we have to accept that this is the way that Chinese manufacturers do business.Pay at the point of completion of order at the factory gate....or the goods stay right where they are.I have paid upfront now for both the NBL Warship and the Bulleid diesel and have had no qualms in so doing. I would not hesitate to do so again.I think Chris Trerise is just being sensible in offering a benefit to customers and in so doing helping his cash flow.

Quite right Ian. I have prepaid for my Warship and got credit with Kernow for my 4TC. They are, in my opinion, a small, yet fantastic, company bringing us items that we could have only dreamt about a few years ago. My visits into their shop are always a pleasant (and expensive) time - so much packed into such a small space.

Business with China may have gone down this route, I just hope that if this is not what was initially agreed between Kernow and the factory, it is a one-off that does not cause too many problems.

Roy

• Like 2

Just got back to our holiday cottage, touring in Northumbria, and have phoned Kernow and paid for my two pre ordered BR liveried sets. Glad to support Kernow. They must be having a 'perfect storm' period with so many of their tooling commissions arriving close together. The china clay hoppers are half way through a phased delivery of 4 versions, the 1361 saddle tanks are in transit as are the first two versions of the Bullied diesel, with the 4TC as well in a phased release.

• Like 2