Transpennine Upgrade : Manchester/Leeds

15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Slightly off topic, but anyone know why 'more drivers than expected' left TPE when it transferred back to th DFT?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-65996674

Not sure, it seems a strange to be related to the transfer. Are staff T's and C's not just transferred and maintained regardless of who the operating company is? I wouldn't have expected any changes to be implemented overnight when it transferred back to the DfT

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Slightly off topic, but anyone know why 'more drivers than expected' left TPE when it transferred back to th DFT?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-65996674

Because a number of them were working out their notice before transferring to freight operators*, or are/were aware that freight operators are recruiting. The transfer from TPE to DOHL was done under the TUPE Regs, so you transfer across on your existing terms and conditions unless you elect not to. If you have a job offer from someone else then opting out of the TUPE transfer means you simply cease to be employed by TPE on transfer day and don't need to work any remaining notice period.  

*Not a phenomenon unique to TPE. Freight and 'Intercity' operators do not train ab initio drivers, they recruit qualified ones from other TOCs and traction/route train them. See discussions passim about internal labour markets and why drivers are on more than most managers.    

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Some wires up on the Guide Bridge line, between the B6170 bridge (telephone exchange roundabout) and towrds ASDA; not more than 200 - 300 metres. Still a gap in the gantries between there and the Guide Bridge Yard side of Cavendish Street bridge. The old gantry and terminating post from the original 1.5kV electrification are still in situ. There were three booms on the ground between platforms 3 and 4 at Stalybridge Station last Saturday, which leads me to think they may be the missing gantry on the lines towards the tunnel 

Edited by 62613
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There was no knitting up along Platform 1, three days ago, but the rest of it looked in place but had a "look" of not being commissioned yet.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 62613 said:

Why is the knitting the colour it is; a sort of rusty brown? What material are they using?

I suppose once everything is tested, all services will be electric as far as Stalybridge

Rust is not something seen on OLE (unless we are talking decades old supporting structures.

The contact wires are copper (which oxidise and goes green)

Insulating bits are made from glass, ceramics or carbon fibre (which can get dirt deposited in it and go brown)

The supporting structures tend to be galvanised steel (which does not rust)

IIRC the stuff they are using is basically the same as was employed on the GWML, the MML between Bedford and Kettering, Liverpool - Manchester via Warrington, Preston - Manchester via Bolton so there are lots of photos out there to see what it looks like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Rust is not something seen on OLE (unless we are talking decades old supporting structures.

The contact wires are copper (which oxidise and goes green)

Insulating bits are made from glass, ceramics or carbon fibre (which can get dirt deposited in it and go brown)

The supporting structures tend to be galvanised steel (which does not rust)

IIRC the stuff they are using is basically the same as was employed on the GWML, the MML between Bedford and Kettering, Liverpool - Manchester via Warrington, Preston - Manchester via Bolton so there are lots of photos out there to see what it looks like.

Living in Tameside, I can see what it looks like; I'm not saying it is rust, just the colour of it. There are three bridges that I use quite regularly when travelling on the road, where it's possible to see what's happening. SHMD, is it an illusion from viewing from below?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This might be interesting to readers of this thread.

The video was taken in July 2023 and shows the current state of play with TRU work along the route between Manchester Piccadilly and York.

TRU July 2023

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 08/08/2023 at 09:21, 62613 said:

Why is the knitting the colour it is; a sort of rusty brown? What material are they using?

I suppose once everything is tested, all services will be electric as far as Stalybridge

managed a closer look at the knitting while in Stalybridge tip this lunchtime. The colour is of course due to the material (copper?) not being weathered yet. The wires from the Guide Bridge direction are not fully complete. From the Stalybridge direction they appear to run to just short of the site of the old Ashton Park Parade station. What's happening after that, I don't know; it's a while since I've been to ASDA!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2023 at 21:46, 62613 said:

managed a closer look at the knitting while in Stalybridge tip this lunchtime. The colour is of course due to the material (copper?) not being weathered yet. The wires from the Guide Bridge direction are not fully complete. From the Stalybridge direction they appear to run to just short of the site of the old Ashton Park Parade station. What's happening after that, I don't know; it's a while since I've been to ASDA!

After a look on Monday afternoon, while cycling under the Cavendish St. bridge in Ashton (next to ASDA), definitely no wires of any sort from just west of Whitelands Road bridge to at least the Stalybridge end of Guide Bridge yard. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, 6892 Oakhill Grange said:

Hi All

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-67611057

New news or repackaged old news?  Does anyone know what we will get for our money?

It just looks like they have committed money to the next stage of planned works.

So they were going to have to put the money up at some point, but now they are making out it because they cancelled the HS2 work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The government machine (small g on purpose) is very good at recycling the same launch story about new money that some how doesn’t get as far as civils on the ground. I think the cash for the A358 upgrade south of Taunton has been announced now at least three times as “new” but it still hasn’t progressed beyond the engineering drawings. Hopefully the upgrade over the Pennines will happen. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, john new said:

Hopefully the upgrade over the Pennines will happen. 

Certainly as far as the part of the route that this announcement refers to - Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe - from my observations there's been an increasing amount of enabling works going on in and around the railway boundary over the past six months.

I'm probably more optimistic now that the upgrade of the line between Colton Junction (south west of York) - Leeds - Huddersfield will actually be completed.  

That's guarded optimism though, as I'm not going to underestimate the potential for de-scoping, or a slow down of the work at some stage, in the name of 'cost saving'.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

I wonder if thy will energise the wires from Colton to Church Fenton then announce a great bit of progress.  They were completed about a year ago.

Jamie

Were wires up that weren't energised? I thought they always energised them to prevent theft?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

Were wires up that weren't energised? I thought they always energised them to prevent theft?

I'not sure to be honest. I know that they are not connected at Colton  so can't be used.  A date of early 2024 was mentioned due to pressure on possessions.  It seems crazy.  I think that Roger Ford did an informed sources article about the TRU.  IIRC  the main reason for the cost increases and lengthy timescales was to do with possessions and the lack of diversionary routes during the week. Now if the New Line was available...... 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1