The changing face of Bristol

The placement of that signal on the main line is a bit strange - unless it was a light loco, anything held there would foul all sorts of junctions... :scratchhead:

It protects Patchway Junction. Most movements that way have priority. My train has just come up from Temple Meads and a Cardiff bound train would be going through Patchway at the moment it was taken. Trains held would generally be held at Parkway.

Actually that one doesn't protect Patchway Jct, the next one does. That's an additional signal put in about 6 or 7 years or so ago, at the same time extra signals were installed on the other leg of the triangle towards Filton.

Actually that one doesn't protect Patchway Jct, the next one does. That's an additional signal put in about 6 or 7 years or so ago, at the same time extra signals were installed on the other leg of the triangle towards Filton.

Only work a train over there once in a blue moon. And I'm not at the pointed end. Must put in for a route refresh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My question of three weeks ago has been answered, I suspect.  The reason the space between the main line platforms at Stapleton Road was filled in was to create an area to store some very large chunks of concrete, presumably parts of the structure of the new Easton Road bridge.

post-3065-0-96098400-1464376697_thumb.jpg

The part that's newly filled in is the part on the far side of the access path - the part on the near side was filled in a few years ago and has been used as a work base several times since.

I notice there's still a poster up for the open day at St Phillips Marsh at the start of this month!

Edited by ForestPines
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Differences in Redland, 1987 and 'today'.

1) Evidence of a lick of paint applied at some time (the door on the gable end is definitely 'bluer', canopy is various shades of blue instead of uniform black).

2) Evidence of renewal (or repair and clean) of the building roof.

3) Additional support posts for canopy.

4) Attentions of local graffiti 'artist(s)' (how did he (they) get up there?)

5) Greenery encroachment over (site of?) disused platform and trackbed.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't realised the canopy supports were new. I wonder if they are second-hand ones from elsewhere. At one time they'd just have pulled the canopy down.

Also artwork has been applied the boarded-up windows. They are images from Victorian photographs, each with some anachronistic addition, such as an iPod.

At some stage the building served as a clubhouse for the Bristol Railway Circle which did a good deal of renovation, then had to leave because BR/Railtrack/Network Rail made the rent unaffordable. An upholstery business occupies the building now.

A young lady sells coffee here on weekday mornings, something unimaginable a few years ago, and a testament to the traffic growth in recent times. I look forward to the introduction of the "Metro" service - half-hourly with alternate trains running through to Portishead and Bath.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2

Does anyone else recall the article in Railway Modeller in the mid-80s about building a model of Redland station in then-current condition, as an exemplar of a semi-derelict station building? From memory I think it was likely the Dec '85 issue, but I could be wrong there.

Incidentally, St Marks Road is now closed to road traffic for the Filton 4-Track project, so that the currently-unused span of the railway bridge can be renovated ready for reuse. No sign of any work starting on the Stapleton Road viaduct yet though!

Just been through a cab video which included a trip up to Filton on the current two-line configuration - with the slew of the existing lines over to the formation of the two removed lines at the top of the bank just before Filton Abbey Wood station, there's a bit of track formation work to do there before the re-quadrupling can be completed.

Edited by talisman56

Just been through a cab video which included a trip up to Filton on the current two-line configuration - with the slew of the existing lines over to the formation of the two removed lines at the top of the bank just before Filton Abbey Wood station, there's a bit of track formation work to do there before the re-quadrupling can be completed.

Has there been any work to the structure of the embankment in the Ashley Hill area?

Back in the early 1980s there was a bank fire on the (west) up side, somewhere north of Ashley Hill. I understand the embankment was partly built from colliery spoil and contained coal dust, so the bank fire burned slowly underground for weeks if not months, I wondered if it created a void.

I thought at the time it was one of the reasons that when two tracks were taken out of use the two remaining tracks

were slewed to the east side of the embankment away from the fire site,

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Gold

Has there been any work to the structure of the embankment in the Ashley Hill area?

Back in the early 1980s there was a bank fire on the (west) up side, somewhere north of Ashley Hill. I understand the embankment was partly built from colliery spoil and contained coal dust, so the bank fire burned slowly underground for weeks if not months, I wondered if it created a void.

I thought at the time it was one of the reasons that when two tracks were taken out of use the two remaining tracks

were slewed to the east side of the embankment away from the fire site,

cheers 

It wasn't mentioned in the financial case for the de-quadrification - the saving was mainly down to avoided track renewals and savings on bridge maintenance.

It wasn't mentioned in the financial case for the de-quadrification - the saving was mainly down to avoided track renewals and savings on bridge maintenance.

Hi Mike,

I assumed the bank fire was just co-incidental to the de-quadrification scheme, which may have already been planned when the fire broke out.

I remember travelling over the line during autumn or winter when the fire was burning and seeing steam or smoke rising.  There was a speed restriction applied to, at least, the Up Filton Relief, due to subsidence.

I know the Relief Lines had to be used at the bottom of the bank due to the condition of the bridge at Stapleton Road. At the time I wondered if the decision of where to slew the two remaining lines to the east side of the formation was influenced by the bank fire and the damage it may have done,

cheers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here's the coffee vendor I mentioned above https://thecoffeetrike.co.uk/

And very good it is too. Sometimes order one for my return journey. She deserves to do well and she's there in all weathers.

If you're sentimental (?) for the old Post Office building, now's the time to say your final goodbye's! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-38139249

The end of little Chernobyl.

• Like 2

And is this a photo of the building under construction, or just under repair in 1969?

attachicon.gifd115 bath road 12:7:69 copy.JPG

I spent a very entertaining fornight at Christmas 1974 (or was it '75; whichever was the year with the Park St bomb) working on the 'South-West Distribution Frames', more-or-less level with the cab roof of the Peak. I recollect large areas of the building being semi-derelict inside, as the PO had installed ALF sorting gear without union agreement, so it just sat there unused.