The changing face of Bristol

If you drive along the section between J18 & J19, you might notice there are a set of half-built slip roads already in place.

Those have actually been there since the motorway was built! They were for a planned fuel station/service area which never happened.

• 3 weeks later...

A new book which much be of interest to all reading this thread has just been announced: http://www.crecy.co.uk/steam-around-bristol-in-colour

- compiled by life-long Bristolian Gerald Nicholls of photos by the late Mark Warburton,

Publication date is 31st March. If the cover photo is a good guide to the contents then this is surely to be looked forward to!

• RMweb Premium

A new book which much be of interest to all reading this thread has just been announced: http://www.crecy.co.uk/steam-around-bristol-in-colour

- compiled by life-long Bristolian Gerald Nicholls of photos by the late Mark Warburton,

Publication date is 31st March. If the cover photo is a good guide to the contents then this is surely to be looked forward to!

Gerry has previewed many of Mark's pictures at the RCTS and Bristol Railway Circle, and on that basis I am confident that this this will be among the best ever books on the Bristol area.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some classic shots of Bristol's railway past in Emmdee's Flickr stream

https://flickr.com/photos/10163027@N05/sets/72157616885338779

Peaks and brush 4s at Fishponds, Mangotsfield, Staple Hill, the Eastville 13 arch bridge to name a few - all late 1960s early 1970s

Many more railway related in the main photo stream

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/10163027@N05/popular-interesting/

Neil

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There were surveyors working at Redland station yesterday and, when I inquired what it was in aid of, they said it was in preparation for slewing the track away from the platform to allow for wider trains - presumably the 165s.

Also they recently installed wiring in preparation for a new smart ticketing system http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2017-04-12/touch-smart-card-to-be-launched-for-bristol-passengers/ , although the actual validating devices have yet to appear.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

Regional news today that families are asking for the area around the Floating Harbour to be made safer after man's body found (the third this year to drown there).

What exactly do they have in mind? It's water, it's deep, and it's been there for a long time. I used to drink in a pub on Prince Street every evening but I never fell in.

Regional news today that families are asking for the area around the Floating Harbour to be made safer after man's body found (the third this year to drown there).

What exactly do they have in mind? It's water, it's deep, and it's been there for a long time. I used to drink in a pub on Prince Street every evening but I never fell in.

People really do need to realise that they have a responsibility for their own safety.

Close all the pubs around the harbour..................?

:O 

Best wishes

Eric

Edited by burgundy

When Bristol docks/floating harbour was a work area, the few pubs were frequented by locals. Now there are many bars there, and the area attracts more strangers than before. It's nature of usage has changed completely from how it was before.

• RMweb Gold

A Bristol relared question if I may. I remember travelling from Sheffield Midland to Bristol Temple Meads in the summer of 1969, was the Mangotsfield route still a main line then, and would I have come in that way? The next time I did the journey a couple of years later I seemed to come in a different way.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

Crecy's website now says 'This product will be in stock on Friday 28. July, 2017.' A bit later than planned but hopefully worth the extra wait

Martin

Not taken at Bristol, but at Severn Beach. We now have these operating on the 'Beach'. At the moment there are three 3-car sets based at St Philip's Marsh. There have been a few teething problems since their introduction on the 2nd of this month, but thing are improving.  Different driving controls to what we've had before in the West and all the drivers have had training on the Reading-Gatwick route. Guards have been trained by myself and others between Reading and Guildford. Another difference is that around here the driver releases the doors and the guard closes, rather than the 'ten bells' method used in the Thames Valley.

Don't seem to be able to load a picture at the moment, so I'll describe it. A Class 166 standing in the platform at Severn Beach. There is a fence and shelter on the left with a few people boarding the train and there is some greenery to the right of the train. The sky is blue.

post-15-0-53023200-1499603389_thumb.jpg

Edited by JZ
  • Like 4

The footbridge with escalators I'm standing on here in 1978

Now there's a view I remember well. It barely changed in the proceeding 20 years, right up until the day work started on Cabot Circus!

Did the escalators on that bridge ever work? In the 8 years I lived in Bristol, along with visits before and since, I don't remember ever seeing them move.

They definitely worked in the early 80's. Or worked occasionally in the early 80's. I remember using them with my mum and grandmother when I must have been 4 or 5. We were probably going to Hurwoods.

• RMweb Gold

It seems a bit odd that the longer distance 166 units have been sent to run a slow suburban service, rather than the suburban style 165s.

I'm sure it's like that for a good reason though.

The entire cascade plan has struck me as a bit odd in that respect.  I would have thought it logical to retain some 166s for Reading - Gatwick although use of Class 8XX - if it ever actually happens for the next mentioned - will avoid that sort of need for Bedwyn workings and the Oxford semi-fasts.  Otherwise 165s should be adequate for remaining diesel workings as they are all relatively short distance.

So quite how it finished up as a plan to move all the 166s to Bristol I don't now but possibly the idea was to concentrate that fleet at one depot which does make sense in some respects.

I suppose if they're going to be used on the Bristol - Weymouth and Cardiff - South Coast services then having them all at Bristol and working a few less obvious services makes sense as a plan.

800s on the North Downs... Maybe that's not what you meant, but the idea amused me...

Ar present the most 165s are not fitted with disabled toilets nor have space for cycles. On the Beach we can have up to 15 on some early services. Also a dire need for capacity, particularly in the morning rush-hour. 3-car 150s were full and standing and the 166s have much more standing room. The next route to roll them out will be Weston-Parkway. And possibly the Cardiff-Taunton service. At least until the 2+4 HST sets are available.