The changing face of Bristol

I suppose if they're going to be used on the Bristol - Weymouth and Cardiff - South Coast services then having them all at Bristol and working a few less obvious services makes sense as a plan.

At the moment they can't go down to the coast. There is no facility to open a single door at short platforms. Avoncliff, Thornford and Chetnole are all shorter than a 3-car set and Dilton Marsh is less than 1 carriage long.

• RMweb Premium

Not taken at Bristol, but at Severn Beach. We now have these operating on the 'Beach'. At the moment there are three 3-car sets based at St Philip's Marsh. There have been a few teething problems since their introduction on the 2nd of this month, but thing are improving.  

attachicon.gifTurbo at the Beach.jpg

I am interested in these teething troubles as I and my family use this line quite often and have experience several instance of late running since the 166s arrived.

For instance on Wednesdays my wife takes our son to his music lesson (in Sea Mills) on the 16:45 departure from Redland: both this week and last it has been 17 minutes late. Would this be attributable to issues with the new trains?

Something else I noticed is that on occasions when the Down train is quite badly delayed like this, the up train still dutifully waits to cross it at Clifton Down, so the delay is propagated. I should have though that there would have been time for the up train to make a dash for it and get to Narroways first. I'm wondering how late a down service has to get before this happens.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

This thread is bringing back some memories.

To give a little view of how this side of Temple Meads used to look

here are a few pictures I took from the TOPS office window.

attachicon.gifscan0003.jpg

Temple Meads Goods, saturday 5th Jan 1980 with 08218 (East End Pilot) and 08644 (West End Pilot)

the pilots are stabled for the weekend. Not only has Temple Meads Goods gone, but in the mid background

the Distillers plant has been closed demolished and rebuilt on. Gardiners store remains.

attachicon.gifscan0005.jpg

The Kingsland Road pilot 08900 collects 2 Cov-ABs from the NCL shed,

they were probably loaded one each for NCL Glasgow and Edinburgh, to be forwarded

on the West Depot - Mossend Freightliner/Speedlink pioneer service. 10/5/80.

The shed has gone, NCL has gone, so probably has everything else.

attachicon.gifscan0004.jpg

31258 stands on the High Level sidings having arrived off the 3B10 Premium Parcels from Paddington.

It is standing in front of the disused Temple Meads Goods Yard Signalbox.

It was 24th June 1980, the station shunters refused to uncouple the van because of the mini-plows on the 31.

It was shunted out of the way to await a resolution of the dispute.

In the background can be seen presflos on Avonside Wharf, which is also long gone.

cheers

I love reviving old posts!

Was Temple Meads goods really still handling traffic into 1980?

My gob is truly smackerated!

For instance on Wednesdays my wife takes our son to his music lesson (in Sea Mills) on the 16:45 departure from Redland: both this week and last it has been 17 minutes late. Would this be attributable to issues with the new trains?

Something else I noticed is that on occasions when the Down train is quite badly delayed like this, the up train still dutifully waits to cross it at Clifton Down, so the delay is propagated. I should have though that there would have been time for the up train to make a dash for it and get to Narroways first. I'm wondering how late a down service has to get before this happens.

There have been a few issues with the traction, and these units involve a new method of working for train crews and it's taking a little while to hone our skills, a 30 or 60 delay at each station can quickly add up. As for your second question, I don't really know the answer to this one. I think the main issue is leaving the up service standing on the mainline for any length of time where it could be blocking another service. Hopefully, when the 4-tracking is done, this could be less of a problem.

Regards the holding of Bristol bound trains on the loop at Clifton, if we (as signallers) hold a train bound for the branch at Stapleton Road it will quickly back up in rear with a Gloucester, Parkway, Cardiff and Midlands service all booked in quick succession.

Likewise trains off the branch have to slot in with the mainline services, the section between Doctor Days and Filton sees 8 trains an hour in each direction plus any additional freight or short notice servcies.

Once the four tracking is complete (2019 I think) branch trains will be separate from the Midland and additional London services.

The current poor timekeeping is playing blue murder with regulation at Parkway that's for sure.

• RMweb Premium

Here is something that rarely seems to appear in pictures of Temple Meads:

19606559131_57d7924902_z.jpgArriving at Temple Meads. by John Whiteley, on Flickr

namely the sidings at the left where the diesel shunter is seen. Either I have forgotten them from my spotting days, or I never knew they'd been there. I presume they served the GPO. I had always assumed mail was dealt with on the passenger platforms; were these sidings for some sort of special traffic?

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 5

19606559131_57d7924902_z.jpgArriving at Temple Meads. by John Whiteley, on Flickr

namely the sidings at the left where the diesel shunter is seen. Either I have forgotten them from my spotting days, or I never knew they'd been there. I presume they served the GPO. I had always assumed mail was dealt with on the passenger platforms; were these sidings for some sort of special traffic?

Definitely not platforms intended for passenger use; they've go a vertical end, rather than a ramp. My 1935 plan from R A Cooke's volume of Bristol track plans shows them as 'Fish Docks', taken out of use 23.03.1969, removed April 1969.

From my experience at the Sorting Office, Christmas 1974, mail seemed to be dealt with on every platform. Full-van traffic was dealt with on the bays on the west end, and on Platform 13 (the former Platform 1, on the side nearest the Sorting Office), other stuff going to wherever the trains were booked to depart from.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

RA Cooke notes that these were a Fish Dock on is BTM plan, and that they were removed in early 1969. There appears to be a pair of loading gauges on the road the "350" is on.

What a wonderful photo though, and an unusual angle on a well known scene. I especially like the short roads on the right, as the photo confirms that one had an inspection pit, a feature I've included on my Westonmouth Central layout, without being completely sure I'd got my inspiration from there, or just imagined it! 

edit: Brian beat me to it!

Edited by HillsideDepot

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely not platforms intended for passenger use; they've go a vertical end, rather than a ramp. My 1935 plan from R A Cooke's volume of Bristol track plans shows them as 'Fish Docks', taken out of use 23.03.1969, removed April 1969.

From my experience at the Sorting Office, Christmas 1974, mail seemed to be dealt with on every platform. Full-van traffic was dealt with on the bays on the west end, and on Platform 13 (the former Platform 1, on the side nearest the Sorting Office), other stuff going to wherever the trains were booked to depart from.

Still known as the fish dock or motor rail to staff, along with the high level siding on the opposite end of the station 

• RMweb Premium

"Portway Parkway" is one of five new stations approved by the govenment https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-station-boost-for-passengers-thanks-to-16-million-government-investment

And as I walked along the up platform at Clifton Down today, I saw what look very much like the preparations for the installation of a ticket vending machine.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

I assume that 'Portway Parkway' will be on the Severn Beach branch as the news article says it is next to an existing park and ride car park.  The only P&R I know is on the north side of the Avon - unless one has opened up on the south side?

I assume that 'Portway Parkway' will be on the Severn Beach branch as the news article says it is next to an existing park and ride car park.  The only P&R I know is on the north side of the Avon - unless one has opened up on the south side?

The name of the road that runs alongside the river avon from Bristol to Avonmouth is called the Portway, hence the name 'Portway Parkway'

Yes it is on the Severn Beach branch.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was the terminus of the train from Titfield?

Mike.

"Portway Parkway" is one of five new stations approved by the govenment https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-station-boost-for-passengers-thanks-to-16-million-government-investment

And as I walked along the up platform at Clifton Down today, I saw what look very much like the preparations for the installation of a ticket vending machine.

Hopefully they will change the name to Partway Porkway.

• Funny 1

Took a ride to Severn Beach last week. Delightful and only £3 return from BTM. Apparently the service beyond Avonmouth is a bit iffy at the moment. A nice little old lady was handing out leaflets on the train.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Took a ride to Severn Beach last week. Delightful and only £3 return from BTM. Apparently the service beyond Avonmouth is a bit iffy at the moment. A nice little old lady was handing out leaflets on the train.

Did you go for a paddle?

• RMweb Premium

This lady? http://www.fosbr.org.uk/files/20160520_juliebostonprofile.pdf

The service has indeed been iffy ever since the Class 166 units were introduced a month ago. Terminating short at Avonmouth or even Clifton Down has been quite common.

And further up the gorge the road is built on a disused railway trackbed.

Also, just before the terminus of the line at Hotwells, the mouths of the two tunnels can still be seen. The station was just before the road 'tunnel' (heading into town) under the Clifton Suspension Bridge.