SR 25t Pill Box brake van

Bartb

The title was BRAKE not BREAK so I don't understand why you said it!!!

I dont wish to cause an argument given your evident dischuffment Bart, but I'm sure I remember seeing it as 'break'. Presumably the 'edit by Mod4' line isnt just coincidence, particularly as it was less than an hour after Brushman's polite request?

They escaped all over the system, and not simply after the SR went Vacuum brake. ... My theory is that the higher tare 25Ton than other standard brake vans (20 Ton) was found useful.

It's a thought isnt it, I've also seen enough pics of them working random freights on other Regions to have stopped consciously noting them

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 2

I dont wish to cause an argument given your evident dischuffment Bart, but I'm sure I remember seeing it as 'break'. Presumably the 'edit by Mod4' line isnt just coincidence, particularly as it was less than an hour after Brushman's polite request?

I have not changed the title, if I had made a mistake I would have said so. Perhaps Mod 4 can tell us if he changed it.

Yes, it did originally say 'break' in the thread title but it has now been changed. I seem to recall that a few of the early railways did call them 'break vans' so the original title was not entirely wrong anyway! :)

• Like 1

I have not changed the title, if I had made a mistake I would have said so. Perhaps Mod 4 can tell us if he changed it.

I did indeed correct the title from break to brake to assist with the search function in the future, please do not get hung up on it and get back on topic.

• Like 6

They escaped all over the system, and not simply after the SR went Vacuum brake. I have asked on various internet sites, without response, why they were in use in the Midlands (for example) by 1956 - they can be seen in photographs occasionally. My theory is that the higher tare 25Ton than other standard brake vans (20 Ton) was found useful...

I have read in one BR(SR) manager's memoirs a note on the regular struggle to get 'their' brake vans repatriated. His view if I recollect correctly was that their vans were generally in better condition; especially than many of the lighter vans some of which were pre-grouping build and still in service in the first ten years of BR's existence.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Good news! I have now put the last of the handrails and couplings on my second (and final) Cambrian Kits 'pill box' so that means that the Bachmann model will probably come out very very soon!!

:lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was hoping to buy one of these at the Trains4U open day yesterday. They were in the Bachmann showcase, but not available for sale. It seems that the BR bauxite one has red ends, does this mean it is air braked? Which were more common in Cornwall, especially on the Wenford line behind the Beatties?

Ed

Not been able to post since Saturday night as my first action on Sunday morning was to tip the whole of my freshly made mug of tea over the keyboard! Have now dug ancient Compaq keyboard out of attic-I told you it would come in useful!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems that the BR bauxite one has red ends, does this mean it is air braked? Which were more common in Cornwall, especially on the Wenford line behind the Beatties?

Ed

I think you'll find that's the Southern Railway one.

Mike.

I agree with you Mike - the Bachmann website back in July showed painted samples of some http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=39&vis=4 and the Bauxite one does not have red ends. There are two SR period versions both with red ends, one (shown) with big SR lettering. The other is presumably the one in the cabinet at Trains4U.

I certainly hope so, or I'll be waiting for an all bauxite version.

• RMweb Gold

Which were more common in Cornwall, especially on the Wenford line behind the Beatties?

Ironically, when i was researching some stuff for a possible project, the first pictures I found of a Well Tank with a Brake van somewhere in shot were two at Wadebridge featuring a BR Standard van and Stanier style LMS one. Then I found a film clip of a short wheelbase E178635, like the Bachmann model, on a train hauled by 30585.