RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Ewell east…

The canopy supports are made of bullhead rail

FA752607-5CD4-44E8-9190-6CD5DD78997B.jpeg.ead524a5759cdf9bae01620ec2c7f6f0.jpeg

They are set in concrete so i’m guessing its not that old, but then again this is quite an old solution…

No dates on the rails, so is this an SR thing, or a BR thing ?

67405FDF-011A-4C96-AF7C-4868A59EB8A5.jpeg

the station dates back to 1847, though I dont see much evidence of that age, most looks 1930’s onwards.

I know that when Carshalton was recently dug out for the lifts to be installed, the tunnel supports exposed were old railway rails, dated 1870’s (the current station building was built 1902).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 14

On 04/07/2023 at 22:34, PhilJ W said:

There was a line built by the ECR that ran from Great Shelford to Six Mile Bottom closed as long ago as 1851 yet traces of the line can be seen in Google Earth.

The line actually ran from Great Chesterford (near Saffron Walden) to Newmarket.  Some of the formation is under the A11 dual carriageway heading north from J9 of the M11.  It reappears as a line of trees beside the northbound A11 past Stump Cross towards Four Went Ways.  The formation there is under the slip road for Cambridge and Haverhill at the A1307 junction.  After that junction the old formation is clearly visible towards Six Mile bottom, as is the former junction with the Newmarket Cambridge line.  The line terminated at the lost and lamented Newmarket terminus station,  It closed not long after the Newmarket Cambridge line opened, and was one of the very first railway closures.

The line from Cambridge and Great Shelford met it at Pampisford, and the formation is still visible from the northbound A505 just before it meets the A11.  This line went on to Linton, Haverhill and eventually to Sudbury and Marks Tey.  There was a branch to Audley End off this line, near Linton, and part of the platform is still visible in the car park as Audey End station.

There is pressure to reopen the Cambridge Haverhill line, but Cambridgshire CC seem to prefer a guided busway solution. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I travelled from Stowmarket to Bury St Edmunds the other day and noticed that Anglia turquoise was evident at both Elmswell and Thurston.

IMG_1886.JPG.f52dfc57fac33cda169a5b8af4809e8c.JPG

Edited by Keith J
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

One of the more interesting railbuilt structures is the footbridge at Wokingham to help pedestrians avoid being delayed by the closed level crossing.  One unusual feature of - not visiblt e e in the link below (but I have taken my own photos of it) is that in places the rail is curved in the vertical rather that the horizontal plane as with thaht canopy at Ewell East.

https://www.wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0306

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Aberlour Station on the former Speyside line earlier today. A lot of original features still in evidence, just no trains. I think the far end of the building may be a newer addition?

The goods yard behind where I was standing lasted long after trains stopped in 1971, but has now been redeveloped for housing. 

Rothes, just a few miles down the valley is unfortunately the opposite, with almost all traces of the Station having been removed. 

Thanks 

Ken

20230720_120922.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, D6150 said:

Aberlour Station on the former Speyside line earlier today. A lot of original features still in evidence, just no trains. I think the far end of the building may be a newer addition?

The goods yard behind where I was standing lasted long after trains stopped in 1971, but has now been redeveloped for housing. 

Rothes, just a few miles down the valley is unfortunately the opposite, with almost all traces of the Station having been removed. 

Thanks 

Ken

20230720_120922.jpg

Pity it isn't still open, because if I visited Aberlour I would need some other form of onward transport.

One of my favourite Speyside tipples...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Pity it isn't still open, because if I visited Aberlour I would need some other form of onward transport.

One of my favourite Speyside tipples...

Definitely a lost opportunity to some extent, but that's hardly unique in terms of the Beeching cuts. There are still local bus services, but what's striking is the volume of HGV traffic from the distilleries, most of which would have originally been handled by rail. Some of the HGV's are run on LPG to try and cut emissions, which is quite unusual.

Thanks 

Ken 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Connex livery feels like Southern Sunshine livery reincarnate…

Anyways, spotted last week chasing the NR 153…

439F41E7-A5D9-4ADD-B48E-AE3EF50A605C.jpeg.b443ea4f738b2dd581d79e3d8a17b7f0.jpeg

everyone needs a bit of connex sunshine in their life…

Theres some NSE signage inside the booking hall too, though NSE signage seems to last longer.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7

Ok so not really a ghost, but here's 45690 Leander at Platform 7 North at Aberdeen today. I'd love to know just how much of the Station roof/canopy dates back to when steam was still in regular service. I know there have been a couple of refurbs since the 1960's. 

Thanks 

Ken

20230727_223812.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A slightly different one.

Birmingham Moor Street used to have low low goods depots accessed by wagon lifts, where the wagons could be processed.

Those closed a long time back but part on the North Side of Allison Street has been re-purposed as some of the Selfridges car park:

https://goo.gl/maps/ti72rFfQzXLCzGrd9

Really need to get in there with a camera.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

On 21/07/2023 at 08:58, D6150 said:

what's striking is the volume of HGV traffic from the distilleries, most of which would have originally been handled by rail. Some of the HGV's are run on LPG to try and cut emissions, which is quite unusual.

This might be a sacrilegious suggestion, but could they not run the HGVs on pure distillate?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

This might be a sacrilegious suggestion, but could they not run the HGVs on pure distillate?

They could if they had specially adapted petrol engines. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Last week when visiting the lovely South Devon Railway I noticed this little collection on the up platform while changing trains at Totnes.

IMG_5401.JPG.6aa6d0155eea8333eea5c6f398de5d5f.JPG

Totnes  24/7/2023

And of course although the Atmospheric Railway was never commissioned beyond Newton Abbot the buildings of the pumping station still remain at Totnes,

IMG_5406.JPG.52faee2991ee0b61b23d6d5db639537c.JPG

Totnes 24/7/2023

cheers

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...