• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I wonder how long it is since an HST ventured into Euston? I must admit I have never seen one there. Apologies for the dodgy photo - tried to do it incognito!

IMG_20231019_120750_MP.jpg.f5ebeef4aea9895d468d7dc4ae1e69f7.jpg

the NMT still goes into euston monthly 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Interesting - did they ever run revenue services out of Euston? 

I presume the very short stop was in order to line up the power cars with a vent or something, to avoid filling that wretched station with smoke? (Especially in the Valenta days!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Interesting - did they ever run revenue services out of Euston? 

I presume the very short stop was in order to line up the power cars with a vent or something, to avoid filling that wretched station with smoke? (Especially in the Valenta days!)

They were used on Holyheads and other workings , at Stafford late afternoon two up trains ran in close succession 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Try your luck on street view and watch the car in the distance dissapear, and spin around you’ll see the transit van dissapear too as you move up and down the lane.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/obgAwpPEmfo6KaGm8?g_st=ic

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I remember the late Cyril Gotobed of Cambridge giving us a talk at the Cambridge Railway Circle, and mentioning experiences he had at that same crossing when he worked there.

The accidents at Connington might well be haunted; there have been several fatal incidents there.  The crossing was accident prone because it seemed to get very thick fog locally.  North signal box (built of brick) was moved a short distance after those.  There was also an accident (if that's the right word for it) where a train was derailed by the signalman changing the points under a train travelling at speed; he was acquitted of manslaughter but still got two years for his actions.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Connington loop 15th December 1961..

3 trains, 60977, 60078, D9012

https://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/railway-life-at-grantham/loco-department-staff/grantham-crews-miraculous-escape/

The signalman with mental issues caused a derailment March 5th 1967.. with D9004.

in addition to the fatality mentioned with the former Peterborough mayor (16th Oct 1948) , and the other incident with the 6 German POWs (March 1st 1948) 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Connington

Not helped by the fact that there's two of them nearly 20 miles apart, both in Cambridgeshire!  One is in South Cambridgeshire but not on the railway and the other is in what used to be called Huntingdonshire, but that historic county got abolished and moved into Cambridgeshire when local government was mucked about with.  And HMRI can't tell which is which as the accident reports use spellings with both the double n and the single n (the current preferred version for both of them).  I expect the postman knows all about which streets are in which one!

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Back in a wintry looking Huntly today. 

Behind the modern Scotrail signs the original (?) Goods Shed is still there. I didn't realise how much it had been altered, and it seems to be out of use at the moment. 

The old-fashioned floodlights look a bit melancholy above the small forest that's grown up around the goods sidings. I think the track is still in there somewhere. 

On a more positive note the waiting area in the modern Station has an interesting collection of railway photos from the 60's and earlier. 

Thanks 

Ken 

20231121_121155.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Back in (a very cold) Keith today.

If I've got this right, the last train between Keith and Keith Town ran in 1991, so these signs have been redundant for 30+ years. To be fair the level crossing sign (which I think must have guarded a foot crossing) looks a good deal older. 

Good to see the old Goods Shed is still hanging on, although the remains of the sliding doors are starting to come away from the gable end walls. 

Thanks 

Ken

20231205_191959.jpg

20231205_192024.jpg

Edited by D6150
Bad spelling!
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, D6150 said:

🙂

I'm also intrigued that at some point the phone has been removed, but the sign has been left....

Ah - but removed by whom - with, or without due authorisation?

CJI.

• Like 4

A bit further South I was in an equally cold Insch, where the base for the water tower is still there 60+ years after the end of steam in NE Scotland. Sun shining on Dunnydeer Hill 👍

Does anyone know when regular steam workings finished in NE Scotland? I think 61A Kittybrewster was almost entirely switched to diesels in the very early 60's?

Thanks 

Ken

20231205_134247.jpg

• Like 10