• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, sir douglas said:

Not quite true.

The station has never officially closed and the rail service is "temporarily" suspended.

The DG bus provides the official rail replacement service while the service is suspended.

Service may return in the future.

Edit. I notice the top layer of flagstones has been removed from one platform.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Silktone Wagonway, Barnsley.  Dont known what the stones are called ...

Stone sleepers !

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

... The station has never officially closed ...

I couldn't be bothered to watch twelve minutes of that to find out what station !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Stone sleepers !

I couldn't be bothered to watch twelve minutes of that to find out what station !

It is revealed after 30 seconds, at which point I bailed out.😃

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Silktone Wagonway, Barnsley. 
Dont known what the stones are called but there are literally dozens of them from Silkstone to Cawthorne basin where there was an interchange with a canal. 
IMG_7325.jpeg.7c735bdf837bd790a376c3a809a02871.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Stone sleepers !

Used on wagonways to allow the horses to proceed without tripping over transverse sleepers. Some early steam railways were laid on them, just in case the engines might have to be replaced by horses.  Their lack of resiliency was a contribution to rail breakages (as well as loco weight) and they also were prone to going out of gauge due to the weight of the locos.

Good for horses and chaldron wagons, but that was about their limit.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Used on wagonways to allow the horses to proceed without tripping over transverse sleepers. Some early steam railways were laid on them, just in case the engines might have to be replaced by horses.  Their lack of resiliency was a contribution to rail breakages (as well as loco weight) and they also were prone to going out of gauge due to the weight of the locos.

Good for horses and chaldron wagons, but that was about their limit.

I just thought they may have dedicated name rather than ‘stone block sleeper’ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Erichill16 said:

George Stephenson* probably couldn't be bothered thinking up a fancy name.  See it, say it, sorted!

* Placeholder name for any early railway engineer...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Sadly not:

Plate%201a.jpg

"Iron plate rails mounted on stone blocks ― the Derby Canal Railway."

I presume the flange is on the inside as it's less likely to go out of gauge by spreading whilst in use.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

... I presume the flange is on the inside as it's less likely to go out of gauge by spreading whilst in use.

More likely to narrow in this case - but with those dirty great lumps of rock below the rails I don't think that's much of a worry !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Flanged plateways were common because it meant the wagon wheels could be made by ordinary wheelwrights as the wheels didn't have a flange.  Theoretically the wagons could run onto a road surface... 😁

Plateways date back to 16c German mining practice. Their tracks were made entirely from wood...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

About 45 years after the last train ran from Dyce to Maud Junction and back, there are still a few relics of the S&T infrastructure in and around Dyce, including the top half of a telephone pole... These are easier to spot at this time of year before the vegetation has sprouted.

I believe there are a couple of ganger's hut's left further up the line, which I will have to try and locate. The former line was converted into the Formartine & Buchan Way long distance path in the 1990's.

20240416_121403.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2024 at 21:41, Hroth said:

Plateways date back to 16c German mining practice. Their tracks were made entirely from wood...

Still a few examples of wooden rails, sometimes with a strip of iron on the top, hidden away - I've seen one or two in long-disused mines.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Disused bay platform at West Worthing. Very overgrown at the moment but when I last looked in the winter it was still connected to the carriage sidings although with no provision for outside third!

IMG_20240424_171453189_HDR.jpg.648bd8b0e2ca4e2c1038724781edf057.jpgIMG_20240424_171339010_HDR.jpg.2a4a6478709e626b8018054321561146.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SR71 said:

Disused bay platform at West Worthing. Very overgrown at the moment but when I last looked in the winter it was still connected to the carriage sidings although with no provision for outside third!

IMG_20240424_171453189_HDR.jpg.648bd8b0e2ca4e2c1038724781edf057.jpgIMG_20240424_171339010_HDR.jpg.2a4a6478709e626b8018054321561146.jpg

On the opposite platform face to the Aldershot bay at Ascot, the track is still there and overgrown to a similar level.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The wall and gates may be new, but I suspect that the roadway inside is part of the entrance way to the GNR coal depot in Mantle Road at BrockleyDSC02093.JPG.4cb97a38a9f71eeb3e679aea8f100e31.JPG

RIMG0198.JPG.e1152581e6ed7ecf30eb10716481182a.JPG

Dave

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2024 at 13:09, eastwestdivide said:

Old-style road sign referencing pre-nationalisationgrouping (thanks @Wickham Green too) railway company, Strood, with the Paddock Wood train in the platform. 
IMG_7267.jpeg.f42dffdf8007d3d9c7b21c0317bda2d5.jpeg

IMG_7267.jpeg.d3a681a9cf36eee5c16116f7ad6ce88d.jpeg

There is a Great Northern Street and an Oakley Street in Thorpenext to where Ardsley Shed was, and several Midland terraces.  One is opposite the site of Manningham shed in Bradford.  

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2