• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 15/02/2024 at 00:49, Michael Hodgson said:

It wouldn't have happened on the GWR.

They said there was no such thing as a 3rd class lady.

Opposite problem in Bolton.

hard to find a 1st class lady..unicorns are easier to see.

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one I cannot explain.

image.png.fefe18c6318d1dc903f7cf3ab8299aa9.png

At Gloucester half-way along the up (north) platform are what appear to be remains of the lead-out from a signal box. My immediate thought was that they must be the remains of the lead out from Gloucester Middle Signal Box (abolished c 1938) and which I had thought was above the up platform. 

The only photographs I have been able to find, however, shows it above the down (south) platform:

GWR Royal Train

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mark Saunders said:

The APT is being resurrected as part of the rebuilding of Eaglescliffe station!

Eaglescliffe with APT.jpg

And a scorched earth policy for the estate between there and Allen's west!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

Fortunately I moved house as it looks like its planned for demolition!

I didn't realise you lived there 

• Like 1

I was in a different bit of Perth Station yesterday  and found this rather fabulous looking clock adjacent to Platforms 5/6/7. Sadly it doesn't seem to be working, and is partly obscured by some more recent signage. 

Some of the other signage in this area of the Station predates the current Scotrail house style, and what looks suspiciously like rail blue paint can be seen where newer paint is peeling off the platform canopy metalwork. 

20240318_102801.jpg

20240318_102810.jpg

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just a small ghost , but it still proudly announces that Kew Gardens Station on the District & Mildmay Lines is on the Southern Railway. Location: just outside the pub/restaurant that (sadly) no longer has direct doors onto the platform.

Kew Gardens Access Cover.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Another smallish ghost at Kew, although not a railway one (apologies for thread drift). I visited the National Archives in September last year (to research some railway info) and on the walk from the Archives back to the station I noticed this in the pavement. I've seen man-hole covers with Post Office 'Telephones' before, but not 'Telegraphs'. IMG_20230908_151355.jpg.9cd7a7d19b1753682c8d27aea776de49.jpg

• Like 14

On 21/03/2024 at 10:48, iands said:

Another smallish ghost at Kew, although not a railway one (apologies for thread drift). I visited the National Archives in September last year (to research some railway info) and on the walk from the Archives back to the station I noticed this in the pavement. I've seen man-hole covers with Post Office 'Telephones' before, but not 'Telegraphs'. IMG_20230908_151355.jpg.9cd7a7d19b1753682c8d27aea776de49.jpg

I worked for Post Officce Telephones in the early sixties ,lots of mud .horrible lorries, clothing not much cop, but we had a good many fun adventures .We used do three days trenching and then went rabbiting with some of the lads.We always left at least four chaps working on site in case the inspector appeared.The rabbits were shared out amongst those on site as always about twenty were captured and on a good day thirty.  Happy days not like now,

• Like 6

11 hours ago, lmsforever said:

I worked for Post Officce Telephones in the early sixties ,lots of mud .horrible lorries, clothing not much cop, but we had a good many fun adventures .We used do three days trenching and then went rabbiting with some of the lads.We always left at least four chaps working on site in case the inspector appeared.The rabbits were shared out amongst those on site as always about twenty were captured and on a good day thirty.  Happy days not like now,

No one would eat rabbits these days or even know how to prepare one for the pot.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, 73c said:

I was just about to post the same article. It's not a wagon but a container used for furniture transport which most likely used by someone moving abroad. At the start of WW2 quite a lot of rolling stock was 'trapped' on the continent (likewise some Continental stock was trapped in England), this is probably how it came to be in Belgium. Unlike normal rolling stock a container would not be as useful especially as it would not be compatible with the local containers. If the number can be discovered it might be possible to find out why it was in Belgium from the clearing house records.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

No one would eat rabbits these days or even know how to prepare one for the pot.

Don't you believe it - We're having rabbit for lunch today! 

Have to admit that we're not cooking it - our neighbour has kindly asked us round to join them !

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I can't see this already mentioned on this thread, but found this sign at Oakwood station on the Piccadilly Line this week:

IMG_0723.JPG.1f82d0feae8cd8b4f5e166429293fc12.JPG

As Blake Hall is included I think this is pre-1981.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2024 at 10:48, iands said:

There are a lot of them around, once you start looking.  So much more romantic a term.  "Electronic telegraph message", anyone?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2024 at 18:09, adb968008 said:

it kind of looks like mk1 SK luggage racks, but they arent wide enough.. only 2 seats.. so i’ve been trying to think what ?.. eliminated cig, vep, rep, epb, 205..

Any guesses ?

My money is on a 1st class Mk. I.  The smaller lower rack was described as for umbrellas, I believe (and much missed by me on a Voyager!).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/03/2024 at 16:46, C126 said:

My money is on a 1st class Mk. I.  The smaller lower rack was described as for umbrellas, I believe (and much missed by me on a Voyager!).

AVvXsEhIPgj-G5R0xSRt3znI0ke1T57A2mmoeyPr

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1