DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

• RMweb Gold

Does this mean that they will be used on this Autumns RHTT workings and become the third livery - mud colour??

Aside from parading for me to photograph, the 68s are scheduled for the Anglian RHTT (apparently) - and the diagram takes them through my area in daylight, even allowing for the shorter days

68002 in York this evening. Must say I prefer the colour scheme on 68011 when I saw it yesterday. I think they are better looking in the flesh than I expected.

Went out for a spin, on the bike on Sunday 14-9-14 to York 

to get a quick pic.

Funny thing was the face recognition on the camera  came on ?

as soon as i pointed the camera at 68002.

IIRC the number 1 end of a single engine diesel loco in the uk was always the free end of the engine, ie the end that doesn't have the generator/alternator mounted to it. In these, which end is the alternator mounted at? Depending on the weight distribution, there is no reason the alternator cannot be mounted at the same end as the cooler group.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to note that the no1/2 end notation follows the more common US style of cooler group is no.2

Cheers,

Mick

Unless its a 70 which has primary and secondary ends (and you can only start it and release the handbrake at the primary end which is a PITA)

• RMweb Premium

68015....am I to believe stories that it is on its way to the UK..??

As it's only a single loco to make up the initial order, there is one report that it's being transported by road across Spain and France.

Time will tell.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi all,

As everyone keeps mentioning the class 68's at York, I thought I'd show you a photo of 68002 on Monday 15th September in glorious sunshine. Unfortunately the Chiltern liveried one had gone south.

post-11695-0-97126400-1411326967_thumb.jpg

Regards

Vin

• RMweb Gold

it was noted on WNXX by someone who works at DRS that the first 5 locos have different fuel tanks and AAR sockets fitted, you can see it if you scroll between the pics of 002 and 013 above, the tank appears to have an extra bit at the No1 end on 013 and the orange socket under the No1 end drivers side buffer is a different shape, hope Dapol have made a note of it!

• RMweb Premium

it was noted on WNXX by someone who works at DRS that the first 5 locos have different fuel tanks and AAR sockets fitted, you can see it if you scroll between the pics of 002 and 013 above, the tank appears to have an extra bit at the No1 end on 013 and the orange socket under the No1 end drivers side buffer is a different shape, hope Dapol have made a note of it!

Hi Jim,

AAR is only currently fitted to 68008 and will be fitted to 68009-68015 (008/009 are the nominated spares outside of the Chiltern silver fleet)

Goes to find link for pic of  008 with AAR

Found it:

Cheers,

Mick

The train heat sockets are the same on both locos, the two photo's above are taken from different angles and the steps for accessing the mu connections obscure part of the eth gubbins on 68002, the pic of 68013 is more of a "head on" shot and therefore the step isn't in the way.

The fuel capacity of the early 68's is 5000 litres, the later ones are 5600. This is due to the fact that when they were weighed they were actually a tad lighter than expected, the Eurolight can be fitted with fuel tanks of between 4000 and 6000 litres and the option was taken to increase fuel capacity to make up for them being slightly light. The larger fuel tanks also made it necessary to move the white "shore supply" box on the underframe and turn it round so that the connector now points outwards, that could be a real headache for Dapol!    

• RMweb Gold

The train heat sockets are the same on both locos, the two photo's above are taken from different angles and the steps for accessing the mu connections obscure part of the eth gubbins on 68002, the pic of 68013 is more of a "head on" shot and therefore the step isn't in the way.

now you say it i can see the step blocking the supply in the 68002 pic!

• RMweb Premium

The fuel capacity of the early 68's is 5000 litres, the later ones are 5600. This is due to the fact that when they were weighed they were actually a tad lighter than expected, the Eurolight can be fitted with fuel tanks of between 4000 and 6000 litres and the option was taken to increase fuel capacity to make up for them being slightly light. The larger fuel tanks also made it necessary to move the white "shore supply" box on the underframe and turn it round so that the connector now points outwards, that could be a real headache for Dapol!    

Is it likely that the early locos will acquire the larger tanks?

Cheers,

Mick

Archived