Hornby Class 67

TomE

• RMweb Gold

The TTS Blue A4 is the Railroad A4, so that is the main price difference, whereas the 67 is in the 'main range'.

You could possibly also argue that the A4 sounds were used on last year's Gadwall release, so they have recovered some of their costs to produce, whereas the 67 recording is brand new (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope that helps.

People might criticise Dapol for the 73 being in different shades, but that Hornby 67 is totally a different colour than the prototype. I expect several pages on this! :scratchhead:

The colour is several shades out. I have midnight teal stock from 3 sources: 67010 from R3sprays and coaches from 2 different eBay resprayers, all 3 are completely consistent and cannot be set apart.

The Hornby 67004, however, is quite different. Put at the head of midnight teal sleepers it shrieks "colour clash"!

I can't find many pictures to compare the 67 livery with the coaches, but there are some here of 67004 next to a Mark 2 coach:

https://nigelburkin.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/last-summer-of-class-67s-on-the-caledonian-sleepers/

Yes I see what you mean with a subtle difference between the colour of 67 and the Mk2s. Is it as distict as the Hornby effort?

• RMweb Gold

The colour is several shades out. I have midnight teal stock from 3 sources: 67010 from R3sprays and coaches from 2 different eBay resprayers, all 3 are completely consistent and cannot be set apart.

The Hornby 67004, however, is quite different. Put at the head of midnight teal sleepers it shrieks "colour clash"!

I can't find many pictures to compare the 67 livery with the coaches, but there are some here of 67004 next to a Mark 2 coach:

https://nigelburkin.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/last-summer-of-class-67s-on-the-caledonian-sleepers/

From the photos (thanks btw), the difference between coaches and loco is quite noticeable. At reduced scale this may be amplified somewhat but it is clear from those images that coaches and locos are different colours, and therefore arguably Hornby are being prototypical. The coaches seem to have a much greyer tone to the colour, and the 67 is more towards a flatter version of the darker Arriva colour. Given Hornby presumably asked for permission to use the logo I'd assume they asked for the Pantone/paint code of the livery?

The colour in the those pics suggests to me that 67004 was in the plain unliveried blue like this shot of 67003, and has had its roof painted to match and the Caley Sleeper logo stuck on. Would save on a complete repaint given that we know the 67's were stop gaps.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/67003_Broken_Cross_2012.htm

This shot of the 73/9 shows a colour that appears more like the coaches and had a full repaint, which would make sense as they've been fully rebuilt.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/83/31/4833180_2d037c90.jpg

Meanwhile the colour on the Hornby website is too bright for any of these!

• RMweb Gold

Must say I have just had a play with the Caly 67, and I do like it! The quality of the sound is better than the previous TTS models.

Hopefully I'll have a Youtube video of it running uploaded tomorrow, I'll post a link then :)

You're pricing is competitive on this item and I do love a 67. Shame I'm massively overspent this month :cry:

Anyone want a brand new Bachmann 57 in Frieightliner? Funds needed for new 67!

https://www.rmweb-buyandsell.co.uk/Bachmann-class-57-freightliner-spare-body.html

Has anyone got one yet?  My local model shop hasn't had them in yet.  

Someone has suggested they don't have directional lights.  Seems strange if they don't as the Hornby 67 normally has lights.

From the photos (thanks btw), the difference between coaches and loco is quite noticeable. At reduced scale this may be amplified somewhat but it is clear from those images that coaches and locos are different colours

The re-liveried coaches employ full body vinyls, they're not painted at all. 67004 was fully painted at Toton.

Simon

My local model shop, Harburn Hobbies, had one of these in the shop window yesterday (in daylight) and like others have said, the colour looked a bit pale relative to my expectations.  However, I haven't actually seen the prototype livery on the rail network in broad daylight to make a fair comparison.  I am therefore basing my judgement on photographs / videos and they may not be an accurate representation of the true colour due to lighting conditions, shadows, the camera exposure etc.

Looking at the video that Derails has posted of the model (post #915) and the prototype video that Shunny posted (post #911) , the colour Hornby have used isn't perhaps as far off as implied by some.  Remember that the video at Waverley has been taken at night, under artificial lighting.  Presumably the video that Derails has posted has also been recorded under artificial lighting conditions, which explains the better colour match.

It certainly looks a nice model, even if the livery is now 'too modern' for the rest of my stock.

• RMweb Gold

This video shows the sleepers at Edinburgh with 67004 Hornby's looks too blue to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcvasY66VEU

:offtopic: The PC Rail simulation of Edinburgh Waverley (at least on the free demo I have) has a loco swap from 67 to 90 on an Aberdeen to Euston sleeper! It is a bit tricky if you're not familiar with real workings.

• RMweb Gold

Just regarding the directional lights - if anyone does buy one of the Caly ones get your retailer to test before despatch or check it as soon as it arrives. So far through testing models pre-despatch, we've had at least three in which one set of tail lights or one set of headlights is non-operational. Most of the models are fine, its just a few that must have dodgy circuits/wiring.

• RMweb Gold

Just regarding the directional lights - if anyone does buy one of the Caly ones get your retailer to test before despatch or check it as soon as it arrives. So far through testing models pre-despatch, we've had at least three in which one set of tail lights or one set of headlights is non-operational. Most of the models are fine, its just a few that must have dodgy circuits/wiring.

Interesting.Hornby's 56 exhibited identical gremlins.Interesting also to know that you test before despatch.Something worth knowing .

I've just picked mine up.  I'd say the colour isn't too far off, no where near the shade in the Hornby photos.

Sound wise, not bad at all, a little tinny, but then what do you expect for the price.

Thanks for the warning re the lights, but all present and correct on mine.

Well done Hornby!

• RMweb Gold

Having just had a dead loco arrive (all lights and no movement), admittedly my first ever, I am drawn to those retailers who test the model before despatch. Hereford MC do and put their little slip in. At least that way I know for sure it was used as a football in transit!

I am still hoping someone buys my Freightliner 57 (see B&S or Ebay!) so I can try out Derails...........

So what do people think of TTS diesel? Better suited than steam?

My view is entirely personal but, based on the Hornby TTS 40 & 37, I think diesel TTS is perfectly acceptable. It would be interesting to compare Hornby’s TTS 67 with the superb Zimo/Paul Chetter versions I have but I’m not minded to buy a 67 just to compare them.

For me, it is important that the exhaust beats of a steam model reflect what the wheels are doing, to the extent that I will disable the sound of slipping (however impressive) because the wheels themselves aren’t slipping. Consequently, I leapt at the chance to buy a blue King from Rails with the decoder and speaker removed and the price reduced. If this option is not available, I replace the Hornby TTS decoder but retain the Hornby speaker. It’s an expensive solution but I get what I want.

I have no quarrel with the quality of Hornby’s steam TTS or the selection of sounds. I would prefer automatic coasting to be done better – I suspect Hornby adapts it to 6' × 4' ovals – but with a specific coasting function that difficulty can be overcome. What I don’t find acceptable is the frequency of exhaust beats increasing in steps rather than continuously and not synchronised at all to the movement of the wheels. At the 3' viewing distance where superdetail is said to be unobservable, the lack of synchronisation is easily seen. All that said, steam TTS is cheap and if others find it acceptable, that’s fine by me.

Archived