Hornby Class 67

TomE

Maybe this can be of use for you'll??

Yesterday when I opened the Class 67 - I noticed that the ice-cube tray is designed to only hold the loco without the details. I added the air-dams just to check. I noticed that the ice-cube tray makes the air-dams bend outwards. This will cause problems for anyone who has to pack up the loco incase it has to be moved elsewhere (eg: shifting house, moving to exhibitions, etc.). To sold this problem I just cut off 4 small corners from the-ice cube tray.

Have a look at the image below. You can see that the loco not sits perfectly in the tray and more importantly the detail also is kept perfectly without any damage.

post-21774-0-58497300-1429948502_thumb.jpg

I don't think anyone said the model wasn't worth it the comment was about Hornby marketing it as a web exclusive or whatever charging premium price (including me) then flogging it off cheap to retailers but I agree it's a nice model but would have been ever nicer had I paid less!

Mark

I don't think anyone said the model wasn't worth it the comment was about Hornby marketing it as a web exclusive or whatever charging premium price (including me) then flogging it off cheap to retailers but I agree it's a nice model but would have been ever nicer had I paid less!

Mark

I don't think l was referring to this model at all specificly....I was referring to the general opinion some people had about the new Class 67 and called it rubbish and not worth it.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think l was referring to this model at all specificly....I was referring to the general opinion some people had about the new Class 67 and called it rubbish and not worth it.

Those comments originated with glaring issues of quality control when the model was first released a couple of years ago.Whole batches suffered from bodywork cracks and paint finish issues.Quite naturally vociferous complaints were aired by those who spent a good deal of money only to receive substandard products and not fit for purpose. Fortunately at least for the Class67 if not all models things are improving. If members have a "beef" it is usually with good reason.

• RMweb Premium

You do of course realise that in accordance with current operating practice with HRH conveyance a purchase of two will be necessary

Two 67's yes, but not necessarily two Royal Claret 67's. 67026 "Diamond Jubilee" has been used a bit recently in place of 005 or 006. Problem with 67026 is that really was a limited edition from Hornby and fetches silly prices on ebay. But the best way forward is to go and buy 67002 from Kernow at £79.99 and have it repainted. Decals are available from Precision Decals.

However, 67006/67026 have been paired on lesser duties before

Incidentally 67005/006 have dark grey roof between the cabs and they have an orange spot on one cab - so it can be easily identified from the air.  Just visible on the roof of 67006 and 67005

Must get round to doing my roof.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally 67005/006 have dark grey roof between the cabs and they have an orange spot on one cab - so it can be easily identified from the air.

I wonder how Hornby missed this detail.

• RMweb Gold

Replacement nameplates just arrived from Fox's to renumber one of mine as Queens Messenger. Only tricky bit is the loco number on the yellow front, but might get away with careful yellow paint to change 6 to 5! Just need a few more Royal coaches (sleeping cars and another Mk2) and I've got a top and tailed Royal train :locomotive:

Update: the EWS Beasties plate on 67005 is higher up on the cab side than it is on 67006. On 67005 the bottom of the plate is in line with the bottom of the cab window recess. On 67006 the middle of the plate is in line with the bottom of recess. So the Hornby Sovereign is correct. However it looks as though the nameplates packs don't come with the Beasties. Have to see if they are available separately.

http://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Locos/67/i-NPtHmKV/A

http://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Locos/67/i-cqrZJch/A

Buying 2 Royal versions makes an easy conversion as above - just nameplates and one digit on the cab front numbers, except as above on the position of the Beasties plate. As far as I can tell the Beasties plates aren't available but if any plates companies out there do them as a separate item let me know!

Both will need the roof and spot doing.

Not to sure if this has been brought up already, but where doe sit seem is the place you can get the Royal 67 for the cheapest? 

This question only really bothered me today when i noticed reading my Hornby Magazine that i could see Hereford Model Centre were advertising them at a BARGAIN price of £75.95!!! I thought this is a sign and must snap one up ASAP! I pursued this and only came to find that they were listed for £105 on their website? I thought am I missing something so I have emailed the Hereford Model Centre and awaiting a response but I am assuming this is a mistake - I thought it was too good to be true!

• RMweb Premium

Hereford Model Centre is an excellent shop in my experience and have always been above board and provided excellent service. If there has been a mistake I'm sure it was an innocent one.

• RMweb Gold

Not to sure if this has been brought up already, but where doe sit seem is the place you can get the Royal 67 for the cheapest? 

This question only really bothered me today when i noticed reading my Hornby Magazine that i could see Hereford Model Centre were advertising them at a BARGAIN price of £75.95!!! I thought this is a sign and must snap one up ASAP! I pursued this and only came to find that they were listed for £105 on their website? I thought am I missing something so I have emailed the Hereford Model Centre and awaiting a response but I am assuming this is a mistake - I thought it was too good to be true!

I'd be surprised if they were that cheap but haven't seen the latest issue of HM. It is always worth perusing their ads as in recent months they've had some great deals on locos tucked away in the ad.

Hereford Model Centre is an excellent shop in my experience and have always been above board and provided excellent service. If there has been a mistake I'm sure it was an innocent one.

Yes, agreed. I spent a considerable sum on quite a few locos a while back. Excellent service and every one came with a slip showing they had been tested by the shop prior to despatch. Very happy.

In the UK, an advertised price (in a magazine or on a shelf) doesn't have to be honoured as long as the purchaser is told of the correct price at point of purchase.

This allows for retailers to make human errors!

• RMweb Gold

So, the "Limited Edition" (but limited quantity not specified) R3272 Royal Sovereign current pricing:

Hornby £139.99

Hattons £110

Hereford MC £105.95

Gaugemaster £119.95

Derails £109.99

Scorail state £99.95 but sold out

Olivias £240. :O

They have correctly altered the position of the Beasties plate, which is lower than on 67005. Well done Hornby for that.

Anyway, at £105.95 from HMC it is a great model if you are in the market for one. :locomotive:

Maybe this can be of use for you'll??

Yesterday when I opened the Class 67 - I noticed that the ice-cube tray is designed to only hold the loco without the details. I added the air-dams just to check. I noticed that the ice-cube tray makes the air-dams bend outwards. This will cause problems for anyone who has to pack up the loco incase it has to be moved elsewhere (eg: shifting house, moving to exhibitions, etc.). To sold this problem I just cut off 4 small corners from the-ice cube tray.

Have a look at the image below. You can see that the loco not sits perfectly in the tray and more importantly the detail also is kept perfectly without any damage.

Yet another reason why the vacuum formed packaging is a step backwards. I really don't see why people like it so much. Sure it 'looks' nice initially, but as I have commented before, it is unkind on details (3 Bachmann 9Fs returned due to crushed cab roof corners), as it does not have the 'give' that expanded poly does. As we can see here, it is also a pain to modify to accomodate details, and IMHO cutting the damn stuff is a fine art. Furthermore, when you've opened the tray, you have a huge flap ready to catch your sleeve/bulldoze anything on the workbench out of the way.

Hate it. Much rather that Hornby 'split' poly. All the advantages of vac formed packaging (model held firmly and lifted out) with none of the disadvantages (hard plastic, flappy bits etc etc). Only problem is that you have to be careful how you unpack.

• RMweb Premium

Yet another reason why the vacuum formed packaging is a step backwards. I really don't see why people like it so much. Sure it 'looks' nice initially, but as I have commented before, it is unkind on details (3 Bachmann 9Fs returned due to crushed cab roof corners), as it does not have the 'give' that expanded poly does. As we can see here, it is also a pain to modify to accomodate details, and IMHO cutting the damn stuff is a fine art. Furthermore, when you've opened the tray, you have a huge flap ready to catch your sleeve/bulldoze anything on the workbench out of the way.

Hate it. Much rather that Hornby 'split' poly. All the advantages of vac formed packaging (model held firmly and lifted out) with none of the disadvantages (hard plastic, flappy bits etc etc). Only problem is that you have to be careful how you unpack.

Not wanting to prolong too much an Off-Topic discussion, I hated the Hornby expanded poly because the model was always tightly squeezed in and you could skuff the paint taking it out. I agree the vac formed packaging is not ideal either - that big flap in particular is a pain. What I don't understand is why the packaging has to be in contact with the model over so much of the surface. An open polystyrene tray that follows the outline of the model but has tabs to grip it tightly at key points only so moving parts can't (e.g. bogies) should be sufficient.

Archived