Hornby Class 67

TomE

I have finally come to terms with the fact that I paid over the odds for my Royal Sovereign!

But what I do find harder to acknowledge is that I have been led up the garden path by a company that I have trusted, respected and supported from childhood to retirement and am now beginning to wonder if I shall ever believe anything they say ever again!!!

I have finally come to terms with the fact that I paid over the odds for my Royal Sovereign!

But what I do find harder to acknowledge is that I have been led up the garden path by a company that I have trusted, respected and supported from childhood to retirement and am now beginning to wonder if I shall ever believe anything they say ever again!!!

Not sure how you've 'been led up the garden path'...presumably you made a decision to buy the loco at a price that you considered to be a fair price?

When the loco was announced I decided that £140 was a bit too rich for me so I decided that I would go without. Luckily for me I bought one when they were distributed to other retailers. I always wonder how manufacturers, when they have their own online store, compete against other stores who often discount the very same items upon release.

If Hornby were more realistic in their pricing policy they would have shifted all those Royal Sovereign locos sooner. At the end of the day its simply economics...they are a business and need to sell stock one way or another. Indeed, I heard that when these locos were offered to retailers they were snapped up in one afternoon!

Indeed, I heard that when these locos were offered to retailers they were snapped up in one afternoon!

Hattons still seem to have more than 10 in stock, so I guess it depends on how many the retailer you spoke to was allocated.  Still don't know that I can justify a second one though!

Indeed, I heard that when these locos were offered to retailers they were snapped up in one afternoon!

Apparently Hornby are offering some cut price deals to retailers which are only available for 1 day and the Class 67 Royal Train livery was one of those offers.

Regarding the royal 67 my view is I wanted one, I preordered one, I brought one. So what if it's now cheaper my view is my money's helping the company to create other models. I've had bargains along the way I've paid to much for stuff along the way but I like trains

Edit due to spelling

• RMweb Gold

Replacement nameplates just arrived from Fox's to renumber one of mine as Queens Messenger. Only tricky bit is the loco number on the yellow front, but might get away with careful yellow paint to change 6 to 5! Just need a few more Royal coaches (sleeping cars and another Mk2) and I've got a top and tailed Royal train :locomotive:

Update: the EWS Beasties plate on 67005 is higher up on the cab side than it is on 67006. On 67005 the bottom of the plate is in line with the bottom of the cab window recess. On 67006 the middle of the plate is in line with the bottom of recess. So the Hornby Sovereign is correct. However it looks as though the nameplates packs don't come with the Beasties. Have to see if they are available separately.

http://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Locos/67/i-NPtHmKV/A

http://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Locos/67/i-cqrZJch/A

It's irritating when this happens, but I'm more interested in the reasons they didn't shift.

Good paint scheme, current loco and both passenger and freight use, seems strange to me as there seems to be enough modellers of the ' current scene ' who'd want one

It's irritating when this happens, but I'm more interested in the reasons they didn't shift.

Good paint scheme, current loco and both passenger and freight use, seems strange to me as there seems to be enough modellers of the ' current scene ' who'd want one

I am very inclined to get one myself, the only problem is my wallet, or in this case the lack of what is in it! All these new models being flung right left and centre - some of us just can't afford all of them!

• RMweb Gold

It is curious. I guess firstly time of year, run up to Xmas, when people are focused on pressies and it is a generally expensive time. Plus Black Friday/Monday etc so people may have used up spare train cash on bargains. And perhaps people feel there isn't much use of the Royal locos in real life and it will look at bit odd.

Suits me as I have Royal coaches and also a full Wrexham & Shropshire train, which had Royal 67's as top or tails or with the DVT at various times, but perhaps others aren't aware of the scope of their activity.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if that's tongue in cheek(!) but the Royal 67's have appeared on all sorts of things, as like the rest of the fleet they have been cast around looking for work post-Royal Mail. That includes RHTT's, and lots of short formation passenger services. Plenty of scope to play with.

• RMweb Gold

does anyone else with a 67 on code 75 track find the wheel flanges hit the sleepers?

im using peco steel sleeper track and i get just that, it sounds like its derailed but its infact running atop the 'pandrol clips' as it were!

• RMweb Gold

Yes, available at less than £100 in Royal and Arriva colours (and with Hornby Club discount on the Arriva's even less), it is a high quality model.

The Royal version can easily be converted into the sister 67005 with minor number changes on the ends and new nameplates (see my notes above about Beasties). For true accuracy need to paint roof grey or weather heavily. As far as I can tell 005 doesn't have the yellow spot that you need to add to 006. Job done, get 2, have top and tail for a Royal train, or RHTT, or pre-DVT Wrexham & Shropshire, or sitting in an EWS depot, on excursion trains etc etc.... :)

The EWS variants due out are even more versatile.

• RMweb Gold

If you are buying secondhand make sure you get the more recent ones - there is a vast difference in the detail between the current Hornby Royal Sovereign and the old Queens Messenger. Similarly the W&S Thomas Telford (in pack with DVT) is the old version, "Shropshire Lad" is the new one.

New ones have real cables on the front, old ones are printed etc.

• RMweb Premium

Been thinking about adding Cornish Flags (not sure the actual name for the flags, but have heard of them somewhere)

Saint Piran's Flag (white cross on a black field)

Cheers,

Mick

Well my 'ansums - the Cornish flag is a white cross on a black background. It reflects a cross if white hot tin discovered by Saint Piran, our patron saint.

Proper job!

Andrew

Cornish and proud of it.

• 3 weeks later...

- Ordered in November
- Delivered in November (4 days after ordering - excellent service and communication)
- It stayed with my aunt for 5 whole months.

Today finally I received my R3272 Class 67 in the Royal Train livery.

I've read comment about people saying that the Hornby Class 67 is not worth it. I strongly disagree. The model is absolutely a beauty!!!! I cannot get my eyes off it. Tonight I will be adding all the details.

I will post photos tomorrow.

Archived