Hornby Class 67

TomE

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

i know of another localish shop to me that had a couple of them at that price very recently, i am of course not going to tell you where as i want one now i have a full rake of black friday arriva mk3s and a 'buy and sell' DVT to go with it!

• RMweb Gold

^^^^^^^ Typical Colas Driver ^^^^^^^^^^

damn right, got to look after the pennies!

the thing with the arriva livery on the 67 is its such an uninspiring livery compared to how good the MK3's look that i've never really given it a 2nd look, even at £79 i ummed and ahhed about buying it but now i have the coaches and DVT i can justify one, however if i decide not to get one i can use my chiltern silver one on rake 

DSCF1085.jpg

i can also use the arriva DVT with 67018 on its own

2012-07-16104515.jpg

I'll just have to keep a track on ebay!

Interestingly Hornby.com is showing out of stock of the EWS 67s which I am suprised at. No bargains on these either which again I think is strange especially when the more desirable Royal 67 is still floating around at rock bottom prices!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Replacement nameplates just arrived from Fox's to renumber one of mine as Queens Messenger. Only tricky bit is the loco number on the yellow front, but might get away with careful yellow paint to change 6 to 5! Just need a few more Royal coaches (sleeping cars and another Mk2) and I've got a top and tailed Royal train :locomotive:

Update: the EWS Beasties plate on 67005 is higher up on the cab side than it is on 67006. On 67005 the bottom of the plate is in line with the bottom of the cab window recess. On 67006 the middle of the plate is in line with the bottom of recess. So the Hornby Sovereign is correct. However it looks as though the nameplates packs don't come with the Beasties. Have to see if they are available separately.

http://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Locos/67/i-NPtHmKV/A

http://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Locos/67/i-cqrZJch/A

Having bought a second model of Royal Sovereign, I now need to renumber one to 67005, although I've never renumbered a loco before.  Looking at the Fox Transfers website there appears to be several different packs available.  As far as I can tell, the pack I should be purchasing for a full identity change to 67005 is FEP67005R2.  The product description states "Class 67 - Queens Messenger - pair of nameplates in stainless steel. Complete with cast number plates, Royal arms Plates, Royal Appointment plates & Royal Cyphers. Also includes EWS 3 headed beastie motif and cab panels - ROYAL CLARET".  Is this all I need?  I assume the reference to "cab panels" will be the number on the front of the locomotive.  This seems to be the only difference between FEP67005R1 and FEP67005R2.  The above post however seems to indicate that perhaps the contents of these packs have changed and the 3 headed beastie motif is a new addition.

Unfortunately I'm not sure why Hornby chose to include etched Royal Arms, Royal Cyphers and Royal Appointment Plates but did not include nameplates and cast number plates.  Whilst Fox Transfers sell Royal Sovereign name plates (FEP67006) it appears that the only way to get cast number plates it to purchase a pack with all of the above for 67006 as well, otherwise I'll have two locomotives; one with cast number plates (67005) and the other without (67006).

Anyway, I'm hoping to make a start on this soon.

Hornby probably produced the plates because printing on the corrugated metal sides is not very successful. No such problem on the cabside. The plates are metal but not etched – they’re exceedingly finely printed. In the case of the Royal Arms, I’m inclined to think that printing is much more successful than etching.

In my view, when metal is imitated in print or paint a graininess is usually apparent. If Hornby had left the border of the plates bare metal, it would have been better but the graininess is so fine that it only shows up under a magnifying glass. Even so, without the glass it doesn’t look quite like polished metal.

As to the beasties, they were originally included in the fret but later, because of some licensing problem, they were removed from the fret before sale. It seems that the problem has been resolved.

• RMweb Gold

Having bought a second model of Royal Sovereign, I now need to renumber one to 67005, although I've never renumbered a loco before.  Looking at the Fox Transfers website there appears to be several different packs available.  As far as I can tell, the pack I should be purchasing for a full identity change to 67005 is FEP67005R2.  The product description states "Class 67 - Queens Messenger - pair of nameplates in stainless steel. Complete with cast number plates, Royal arms Plates, Royal Appointment plates & Royal Cyphers. Also includes EWS 3 headed beastie motif and cab panels - ROYAL CLARET".  Is this all I need?  I assume the reference to "cab panels" will be the number on the front of the locomotive.  This seems to be the only difference between FEP67005R1 and FEP67005R2.  The above post however seems to indicate that perhaps the contents of these packs have changed and the 3 headed beastie motif is a new addition.

Unfortunately I'm not sure why Hornby chose to include etched Royal Arms, Royal Cyphers and Royal Appointment Plates but did not include nameplates and cast number plates.  Whilst Fox Transfers sell Royal Sovereign name plates (FEP67006) it appears that the only way to get cast number plates it to purchase a pack with all of the above for 67006 as well, otherwise I'll have two locomotives; one with cast number plates (67005) and the other without (67006).

Anyway, I'm hoping to make a start on this soon.

I was doing the same thing, and when Fox announced that they had sorted the EWS licensing issues I wrote to them and said I had bought the 67 plates recently and could I get a set of Beasties. They most excellently said yes for the price of a couple of stamps :imsohappy:  What I got was the 3D beastie outlines

gallery_24698_3502_7535.jpg

and not the rectangular beastie plate that says EWS as fitted to Royal 67's

6663199303_9cac0f6647_z.jpg

Given that they were effectively free and I had other uses for them, plus got distracted I didn't go back to Fox to ask if they had the Royal 67 plates. So you may wish to check with them. The other point to make is that the Hornby Royal crests are coloured in, the Fox ones are not IIRC (can't find them at present to check!).

So my renumbering is on hold until I get time to track down the correct Beastie plate. They are listed on their website http://fox-transfers.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=beasties

I have emailed Fox to enquire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be fair - I think Hornby were let off lightly with the FGW Neon livery, which in reality is far darker than they have applied on the model. In terms of darkness, this Caledonian livery seems to suffer from the same issue. 

In other news, 67025 Western Mail in EWS livery is also in stock!

• RMweb Gold

Wow I don't quite know what's say about that Horn Special! Almost as bad as the Firemans breakfast!

I like it, ideal combined with Full Thrash if you have a platform end full of spotters!

• RMweb Premium

People might criticise Dapol for the 73 being in different shades, but that Hornby 67 is totally a different colour than the prototype. I expect several pages on this! :scratchhead:

At least they've got the yellow right..................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Must say I have just had a play with the Caly 67, and I do like it! The quality of the sound is better than the previous TTS models.

Hopefully I'll have a Youtube video of it running uploaded tomorrow, I'll post a link then :)

Archived