Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last night I spent some time checking over the Farish FrieghtInner class's 66s.

One has had the circuit board removed as it kept blowing decoder only to find one of the top gears in the bogie housing has been partially stripped. Another has been erratic so a full strip down and rebuild but this one has now blown the decoder.

Looks like it's a motor replacement for these two

Another one has now developed a clunking which I presume is a split gear . A bogie swap with one of he others now has this one working.

A fourth one is noisy but seems to run ok ish

That leaves two more to look at but fingers crossed that they will be OK.luckily there are two class 70s and a pair of 57s to work the Frieghliner trains.

The AA transit van has now had a second pass of Dulcote spray so should be ready tonight to have the masking tape removed.

post-1557-0-22942000-1437459883_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

This morning I did  manage to clean up another Farish 66 although its still very hesitant.

A good working DRS one has now had its chassis and body swapped to provide a working Freightliner one as I dont really require a DRS one.

Also weathered a NSE 47. This brand new loco also had to be stripped down as the driving shafts had become dislocated just running a couple of times on the test track. Have had this with another Farish 47 not long ago.

Cant really justify running the NSE livery one but I like it so rule number one applies. the smae will go with the 'preserved' Mogul N on mainline excursions. This Mogul N was a bit lumpy but after a few hours on the rolling road its getting much smoother at slow speeds.

Cleaning of locos to continue for a few more evenings.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's been a few weeks since I posted the first part of how I have installed flashing tail lights into the coal hoppers.

This morning I tidied up the wiring a little and put the first cost of white on the SMLED used for the actual lamp. It will require a few more coats before dulling down with a wash of black.

The photos show the installation In a loaded coal wagon so the installation doesn't need to be as neat as the empty one. The foam was used to form the coal load with coal added on top and stuck with diluted PVA. As the coal has set hard the foam can now be cut away to leave room for the wiring etc.

The top is still loose but generally stays in place however I willed ably install a Couple of magnets to hold the chassis and top half together better.

post-1557-0-83108200-1437719837_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-42416800-1437719851_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-48317800-1437719861_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

This weekend Banbury will be at Tinkers Park.

Still quite a few tasks to complete such as the flashing tail lights in the two coal trains. Mike has fitted them to his MOD trains and the plan is to do all of the freight / infrasturcture trains.

The wagon in the previous post had the LED painted black last ngiht then grey this morning, so hopefully I can now paint it white. This is to reduce the amount of light being emitted and so far its working quite well.

At the wekend another two Royal Mail transits were obtained form the Osbornes stand at the Barnstaple show.  One now has a resprayed rear door. The other one will get a few scrapes down the side.

A large number of locos have now been serviced but at the moment three Farish lass 66's are out of use. one i think just needs a replacement decoder but the other two will need more drastic work, possibly canabalising the two to get one working as, after testing on DC without a decoder there appears to be one failed motor.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Last night I had another go with theFarish  GBRF 66.

I changed the decoder but the loco still wont stop once its been running for a few seconds, so changed the Farish circuit board but still the same problem. (runs fine on DC). next I changed the trucks but that made it even less responsive so a check of the orignal ones (which had been given a thorough clean and pick ups checked) but still no luck. So I am back to square one with this and two other Farish 66's. I have wasted too much time on them so they are being put to one side for now.

The loaded coal hopper has had a little more work done on it. The tail light had its final coat of white and when flashing it now doesnt emit too much light. To hold the chassis and body together I have glued in some styrene and a hole drilled in the chassis which now needs countersinking so the screw is not visible. This will allow access to change the battery.

The empy coal wagon will be tackeled next.

More photos to follow of these two wagons.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The empty coal hoppers is now nearing completion. It just requires the white on the LEDs lamp and a touch up of the weathering.

The false floor hiding the wires etc is only really noticeable very close up so when running on the layout I doubt many will spot it apart from those that know its there.

post-1557-0-22525500-1438237451_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-53912200-1438237436_thumb.jpg

The two new Royal Mail vans have now been patched so the next stage is to mask the windows tenn spray with Dullcote

post-1557-0-99816700-1438237587_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-74491500-1438237672_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Far more realistic ;)

Gareth

By coincidence I had to visit our local sorting office last night to collect a couple of parcels.

Many new Fiat vans along with Peugeot and Vauxhall but there was one Ford Transit with the corner of the rear bumper missing hence I have painted out the corner on one of mine.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've been having exactly the same problem as you with locos not stopping on DCC if they'd been running for a few seconds. Definitely decoder related in my case, tried two Digitrax Dz126INs and a Gaugemaster one, all do the same problem. Tried every CV setting under the sun, eventually relegated all the decoders to function only and they're fine!

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but I'd definitely either try one of the decoders in another loco, or try another decoder (again) in the problem locos!

• RMweb Gold

I've been having exactly the same problem as you with locos not stopping on DCC if they'd been running for a few seconds. Definitely decoder related in my case, tried two Digitrax Dz126INs and a Gaugemaster one, all do the same problem. Tried every CV setting under the sun, eventually relegated all the decoders to function only and they're fine!

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but I'd definitely either try one of the decoders in another loco, or try another decoder (again) in the problem locos!

I swapped decoders and even reset them but still the same. However I do have a few new decoders to try so may see how they go if I get time this weekend but as a couple of Farish locos have blown numerous different decoders it's getting a bit Too risky to try.

• RMweb Premium

Mmm, odd. Like I say, I had 3 brand new decoders exhibit exactly the same behaviour, irrespective of model, so it may be easier/safer to try one of those decoders in another model, see if it behaves!

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, odd. Like I say, I had 3 brand new decoders exhibit exactly the same behaviour, irrespective of model, so it may be easier/safer to try one of those decoders in another model, see if it behaves!

I will give it a try as the decoders are a newer type

Runaways are usually down to intermittent DCC signal getting to the decoder - whether pickup problems, intermittent shorts, dirty wheels, etc. Disabling DC mode and making sure that the decoder times out on no signal you should see that behaviour change to a more stuttering behaviour. Using a decoder which supports asymmetric braking should get round the problem because they can decode the DCC data under very poor conditions. Something like a Zimo might be worth considering for your troublesome locos, the MX621 is about the same size as the DZ123 or the MX623 is a bit cheaper if you have a bit more room.

• RMweb Gold

I may well give a Zimo decoder a try as I am fairly certain it is a contact problem. If I push down on the loco it will stop.

What is odd though is that I have stripped the loco down and cleaned all the contact points and the test track is very clean. The lights dont even flicker either.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Sounds subtly different to my problem then, albeit consistent symptoms as mine did it regardless of loco (tried about 5), and was instantly remedied by changing decoder.

Thanks for taking the time to post about your dcc experiences. I've had a few problems recently and reading how you (and others) have been working through your problems has been helpful!

• RMweb Gold

Superb photos Phil.
Good to have you with us this weekend.

Just been spraying Dullcote onto the RAC van that I purchased today. It will get fixed in place tomorrow.

Edt

B***** tablet autocorrect didnt like RAC!

Edited by roundhouse