Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I thought someone did them but just couldnt find anything when searching.

Too late now as all set out for and ordered the Ratio ones. I can also make use of the lever frames for the ground frame next to platform 1.

Certainly worth remembering if I ever extend the layout and need to build the North box.

Thanks anyway David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David

Look forward to receiving them. there ownt be any work done on the interior in time for Eurotrack but hopefully will be for the Wyre Forest show.

Tonight is a pint or two of Harveys Kiss then its back to work on the box (luckily that beer isnt too strong so the box should still look straight in the morning).

Ian

Thanks David

Look forward to receiving them. there ownt be any work done on the interior in time for Eurotrack but hopefully will be for the Wyre Forest show.

Tonight is a pint or two of Harveys Kiss then its back to work on the box (luckily that beer isnt too strong so the box should still look straight in the morning).

Ian

You should make a model of the North, that leans backwards anyway!

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more work was done last night around the South box including installing some of the ground shunt signals and concrete trunking.

I did add a couple more windows to the sie elevation but waiting for the package from Kernow to arrive before I can do the front windows. Hopefully the roof will be started tonight.

Ian

post-1557-0-56434700-1329295312_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest JRCModelRailways

Great layout, i live in the outskirts of Banbury. Your layout is fab realy realistic and looks like Banbury. I might change scales from oo to N, can you fit allot in your area? my area is 14ft by 12ft

Edited by JRCModelRailways

• RMweb Gold

The layout is 16 feet by 3 feet with the scenic area being about 12 feet by 2 feet. I have had to condens the North end of the station a little bit and the South end beyond the platforms quite a bit but it looks OK despite this. Each fiddleyard road is 12 feet long so we can fit two trtains in each of the 10 roads along the back of the layout.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos of the current state of the South box showing what progress has been made last night and this morning.

The basic roof structure is now in place ready for guttering and tiling tonight.

Also the rear windows have been installed. Just waiting for the window frames for the front of the box to arrive in the post.

The plan was to use the Noch pantile roofing but I think it will be too heavy, so to represent the modern tiles I may well cut Slaters 2mm planking into strips for each row of tiles and pack the bottom of each row with some microstrip.

There is a bit more concrete ducting to add along with the realy boxes around the signal box. There are also thre container sized switch rooms to construct ans position the others side of the siding behind the box.

Ian

post-1557-0-63993500-1329378921_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-19129500-1329378968_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

The more I look at this layout the more impressive it becomes.

The south signal box is coming along nicely as well.

Brilliant stuff.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

Really liking this layout - Congrats. I have great affection for the Chiltern Mian Line in this area. My Grandparents lived in Claydon, a little north of Banbury, and I used to watch the trains pass by to and from Banbury from their back garden at the top of the hill so the Chiltern Line is very much part of my railway history.

Am currently planning a layout in N in this area myself at some point, and like you waiting on Dapol to release the W&SR Buffet car to complete the set. (May turn up eventually)! Also planning to run some XCountry stock to cover the area between Anhyo Junction and Leamington Spa.

Just on a side note - where abouts did you pick up the cable trunking or is this hand made?

Edited by Trelvis_Gresley

• RMweb Gold

The cable trunking is made by Ratio. Comes with straight lengths and junctions. Ratio are also bringing out the relay cabinets with both double and single ones in the packs. I really could do with the single ones but looks like I will have to cut down either the Hornby Liddle End or Knightwing ones in order to get them in place by next weekend.

The orange ducting under the rails is just Evergreen microstrip painted orange then chopped up to suit.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Last night managed to get the roof tiled and most of the guttering and downpipes fixed but ran out of gutter for the sides. A few coats of paint have now been applied with just the blue engineering bricks requiring painting.

post-1557-0-42487000-1329462577_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah thats what its used for.

There are a few other bits of plant just beyond the container but not quite sure what they are. tonight I hope to do the three large containers which I presume are raley rooms?

I am hoping that the Ratio etched widows turn up in todays post (over a week since I ordered them) as would be nice to get htem painted and glazed so I can start the interion.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Guest JRCModelRailways

Hi mate will you be purchasing a voyager for the layout as I have seen a few passing Banbury or being parked with its lights on. One of them would look great on the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Have three Voyagers, one in Virgin colours and two in XC livery. Do need to get a 5 car Super Voyager though.

Hope to upload some better photos when the layout is set up with all the stock and running in just over a weeks time at Eurotrack.

Ian

Guest JRCModelRailways

I saw that you have the Dapol Class 66 in GBRF Euro Childrens livery what is your view on the livery do you like it? or not? as I'm not quite sure on it I'm half and half maybe it needs to grow on me then I might buy one when I change to N gauge.

Guest JRCModelRailways

You never know it might look better weathered more your just have to have a think. It sure is a unusual livery.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

The Network Rail offices is now built and sprayed but still requires glazing and final touching up of the paint finish before glueing in place. Also the advertising hoarding on platform 1 and 2 has been painted and ready for fixing down on the platform. The photo below shows both of these - not a brilliant photo but does give an idea of their position on the layout.

The signal box is glazed and painted ready for the box name and weathering to be done.

So still quite a few tasks to do before Eurotrack this weekend.

Ian

post-1557-0-17009400-1329725979_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-74514500-1329726110_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Very nice work. The modern looking offices contrast very nicely with the older infrastructure and definitely anchor the model in the present day.

And details like the advertising hoarding really bring it to life!

Enjoying your progress - thanks for keeping us all up to date!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ben.

Yes. its quite a contract between the old Victorian offices whih were attached to the goodshed before it was demolished. The network Rail block is built on the site of the old goods shed.

Just beyond the network rail building are quite a few old containers. These have been painted and very nicely weathered by Warbonnet when I was running short of time gettig the layout ready for its first show last October. These containers will be stuck down in place in the next couple of days.

Hopefully will get some better photos at the weekend once the layout is set up at Eatleigh - our living room is a bit on the dark side, so ts flash or hold the camera as still as I can!!

Ian