Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get the board with the box set up outside yesterday before it got dark, so a slightly better shot of the current state of the box. it still needs a few final bits adding on the exterior along with weathering of the brickwork and roof etc but this is much how it will be seen at the weekend at Eurotrack plus a bit of trunknig and electrical boxes around it that I started adding this morning.

I will start working on the interior after this weekend show so it should be done in time for the Wyre Forest show in a few weeks time.

Wethering of the rolling stock is also continuing with all locos having soem sort of weathering applied, only two pairs of container flats to weather but loads of HYA's still to do.

Ian

post-1557-0-69572300-1329811031_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

The signal box is looking really good.

For "passable" indoor shots I find it better not to use flash, which just makes everything far too contrasty.

Since no flash means low shutter speed, to try to avoid wobble I use the shutter release timer (most phones have this I think) and rest it on something before the shot fires.

HTH

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

I generally switch of the flash but as I am using the small digital camera or mobile phone. However, even resting on the board or track it still doesnt have the same depth of field as the SLR. WIll try and remeber to take the tipod with me this weekend as will have the space to make use of it with the SLR camera when the rolling stock will be on the layout - just hope that the palisade fence that is about to be installed towards the front doesnt get in the way!

Ian

Hi Ian,

I like the new box and it fits into the scene really well. The quality of N-guage keeps on getting better and your layout really show cases what can be achieved. I hope to see your layout again some day as it was great being able to see it in operation at Barrow last year.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark

Just been working on adding the concrete cable ducting leading from the box. Hope to add the relay cabinets in the morning along with the lamp posts.

Also nearly finished the windows in the Network rail offices not far from the South box.

There is a fair amount of extra work done since Barrow but still plenty more detailing to go.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Not too much to report on progress this morning as spent a good time trying to find out where i had put the relay cabinets I had (2 different lots and cant find them) to install around the South box. Did find loads of other bits that I don't need at the moment!

DId paint some more microrod in orange which will be chopped up and installed in the track for the orange cable ducts that pass under the rails.

Some lamp poles were also cut ready for installation some time tonight.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I havent done any super elevation as it probably woyldnt have worked due to having to squash up the track at the South end for thepointwork. However the track on the Southbound platform as neary a foot lower than the northbound platform and it is some way before the track levels out between both running lines.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot done last night but did find the relay cabinets so installed these around the box along with the handrail and lamp post (still needs the lamp adding). I was up early this morning so I did get the concrete road on the opposite side of the mainline to the box fixed down and a coat of paint on it. The signal box got its first coat of weathering which has toned down the brick infilled switch room windows.

Two more containers to weather then all the container wagons for both trains on the layout will be fully weathered for the weekend.

Should be ready for the fence and foliage to be added tonight / in the morning. A day off tomorrow so will box up the layout and load then its off to Eurotrack for the layout second showing.

Ian

post-1557-0-91453300-1329985166_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am sure it will be at more shows in the area at some point as we already have quite a few shows booked. Its only done one so far and that was in Cumbria!

A package arrived today with more Fleetline etched palisade fencing, so I have been up till now instaling some of this. Tomorrow morning will be an early start to get it all installed and painted along the front of the layout opposite the South Box.

The box is now temporarily stuck down and bedded in very fine ballast.

Tomorrow the layout will be boxed up and loaded ready for the drive to Eastleigh.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Visited Mum in hospital this afternon enroute to Eastleigh and she is much better than she was so this weekend should be more relaxing. now down in Eastlegh ready to unload and set the layout up at its second show.

Didnt get everything done that I wanted to but at least the layout now has three more buildings on it and many more detsils in place along with the concrete road that goes to a few industiasl building south of the station. Fingers crossed ecerything works as it did when I last tested the layout.

• RMweb Premium

I had the chance to see this excellent layout in the flesh today at Eastleigh and have a chat to Ian. This shot shows something of how well he has captured the environment of the station:

post-203-0-34880900-1330209594_thumb.jpg

Well done - I'm looking forward to watching further progress and seeing it again in the future.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dave

It was good to talk with you yesterday.

I changed the tender axle for the extra traction tyre one in the tender of Tornado and it made a huge difference to its hauling powers. Tornado is now hauling a 12 coach steam special.

The HYA coal hoppers that kept uncoupling have had some canopy glue put in the NEM coupler pocket and they now stay coupled.

The one thing we haven't orated is operator errors hitch includes me aswell!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Well, we are back home and layout unloaded after a great weekend at Eurotrack. A few problems with Farish HYA coal wagons coming uncoupled but resolved by putting canopy glue into the NEM coupling pockets.

The Farish class 168 Chiltern units genreally ran poorly. To resolve this the pickups off each bogie will be hard wired by tapping and inserting a scew into each half of the chassis blocks. This should be done on the worst offending units by the time the layout gets to the Wyre Forest show in a couple of weeks time.

A few more photos taken today. Hope to upload some video to Youtube in the next few days.

A few other areas of detailing will also be done, mainly along the front area of the layout.

Also the Hex Frog Juicer board worked very well unlike some of the switches on the SEEP and Peco solenoids, so a few more boards will now be fitted to control the polarity of the turnout frogs.

A few more photos this time taken on the SLR but had to hand hold it as forgot to take the tripod with me.

Ian

post-1557-0-29309000-1330292928_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-64677500-1330292977_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-80815600-1330293020_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-84156900-1330293085_thumb.jpg

• Like 17