Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Hi Ian,

I was planning on visiting Banbury at Eastleigh this weekend but sadly failed.... Glad it went mostly to plan and it behaved itself.

The 3rd shot of the station overview with the 66 on tanks is brilliant, really shows the benefits of N.

Cheers

Scott

It's a lovely model, and captures the real thing very well. Not having passed through the area for some time, could you tell me what that large white structure is? It looks almost big enough to be an IECC; is it Network Rail accommodation?

I worked in Banbury (fitting out the ex-Kaléidoscope warehouse) back in the mid-1980s- the station area doesn't seem to have changed that much, but all the scene north of the overbridge has changed completely. There used to be a hostel for drivers on lodging turns just on the other side of the over-bridge; it had been sold, and become a doss-house. One of the people I was working with was the councillor for that bit of Banbury, who used to regale us with tales of the place.

• RMweb Gold

After the weekends show I have now started building a few more ancillary structures such as the signal equipment rooms that are between the Network Rail offices and the South box. They are basically smooth sided containers / portacabins with a door but no windows. The main shells are now constructed but the door,s trims and concrete bases need to be formed.

Also the radio mast and electrical cabin that sits beyond the Souht box and the sidings behind the box has been started. I was wondering what to use for the tapered artila mast - an old thin modelling paint brush looks pretty close. Now to think of how to build the antenas at the top!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

After the weekends show I have now started building a few more ancillary structures such as the signal equipment rooms that are between the Network Rail offices and the South box. They are basically smooth sided containers / portacabins with a door but no windows. The main shells are now constructed but the door,s trims and concrete bases need to be formed.

Ian

They're call;ed REBs Ian (Remote Equipment Buildings is, I think, the full name). Have you got pics or have seen them from all directions as some have external aircon units although I don't know about those at Banbury )

• RMweb Gold

Mike

I have some close up shots from the angle that the layout is viewed plus google maps for aerial views of the roof. There are a loads of ancilliary items at the back but no one can see them on the model.

Now I know these huts correct names and any photos you have more than welcome.

Ian

They're call;ed REBs Ian (Remote Equipment Buildings is, I think, the full name). Have you got pics or have seen them from all directions as some have external aircon units although I don't know about those at Banbury )

I think it's 'Relocatable', Mike- they seem to be used where there might previously have been a number of Location Cabinets together in earlier times. the name 'Elliot' rings a bell for the manufacturer. The new 'modular' resignalling schemes seem to be based upon numbers of these, pre-wired and tested off-site, and dropped off where required.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the links to the photos. useful for the type of add ons such as air con units etc. However the ones at Banbury are smooth sided and the doors are in one long elevation only as far as I can tell from the photos I have.

Nice photo of the model for Widnes.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Did a tiny bit on the layout last night and this morning.

The portacabin like REB of the ones I am working on is now complete and primed ready for final coat of light grey and roof felt colour. WIll just need to make the concrete base it sits on then time to complete the one more like the Elliott type REB.

Also started building the stock trays out of card. These will then sit in the 'Really useful storage' plastic boxes purchased from Staples. These stock trays will greatly reduce the space taken in the car and reduce time taken to set up and pack away the stock - just hope I can find the time to get them all done in time for Wyre Forest show in just over a weeks time.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

I think it's 'Relocatable', Mike- they seem to be used where there might previously have been a number of Location Cabinets together in earlier times. the name 'Elliot' rings a bell for the manufacturer. The new 'modular' resignalling schemes seem to be based upon numbers of these, pre-wired and tested off-site, and dropped off where required.

Most of these "new" Elliot REBs are for the FTN which newer signalling uses as the bearer back to the signal centre.

They may or may not also house a GSMR site.

• RMweb Gold

Well I didnt get as much done as planned even after allowing for the now routine daily visit to hopsital some distance away to see Mum - at last she now appears to be getting better.

I did get the final coat of grey on th Portacabin type building and final layer of styrene on the Elliot REB one ready for the detail to be added when I get up early tomorrow morning but didnt do any more to the GSMR antena structure. Hopefully they will be nearly completed by the weekend.

Ian

The Theale to Lindsey Fridays only empty tanks heading North through the station.

Kan

6E55 Theale - Lindsey runs MWFO. Very occasionally produces a class 60 as well. So now you can run it three times as often :)

STEVE

• RMweb Gold

Steve

Ah yes I should have said those days but I have only been there on a Friday mid week hence my slip up. I have seen photos of 60's on it but not seen one myself yet. However when I see a suitable Farish one I will pick one up.

The Freightmaster book and online timetable subscription is very handy for such visits to Banbury and similar locations - even has the loco hauled passenger services in it.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Nice shot Steve

A little bit more work on the layout tonight - This time underneath. I have now wired in a second Hex Frog Juicer with just one more to be installed to control turnouts at the North end of the station.

Oh and also a coat of paint on the REb structure. Once its weathered it will be time to install it on the layout.

Ian