Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Hi Ian,

A great looking layout, lots of nice details and plenty of interesting rolling stock. Top stuff!

The Theale - Robeston (T,Th,S) loads to 24, and watching Dave's video of the Lindsey, that had 24 tanks on too

HTH

jo

Nice shot Steve

I can't claim that as one of mine - the site belongs to Martin Loader. I always check it to see what I've missed in the Thames Valley :)

Where are you based Ian ? Within a days travel of Abingdon ? I must mention this layout to our exhibition manager at the Abingdon show this weekend.

STEVE

Edited by D1059

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Those lineside cabins are really looking the part! How do you weather them?

I recently built a GSM-R tower for our club layout. I scratched my head a bit thinking how do to the distinctive tapered tower with its angled "faces." In the end I found a cheapo paintbrush that looked about the right size, cut it to length (tower is a scale 15m high) and simply used a fine sanding block to create the flattened faces all around. The radio antennae parts are from the scrap box, while the building is just plasticard.

post-420-0-28981300-1330681590_thumb.jpg

I estimated the size of the various bits from photographs and I think the proportions of the cabin may not be quite right - perhaps it is a little "tall" - but TBH it looks acceptable to me and I don't fancy building another!

I'm also not convinced about the fencing but that can be removed easily enough when we position it on the layout...

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 3

Hi Ian

I recently built a GSM-R tower for our club layout. I scratched my head a bit thinking how do to the distinctive tapered tower with its angled "faces." In the end I found a cheapo paintbrush that looked about the right size, cut it to length (tower is a scale 15m high) and simply used a fine sanding block to create the flattened faces all around. The radio antennae parts are from the scrap box, while the building is just plasticard.

I estimated the size of the various bits from photographs and I think the proportions of the cabin may not be quite right - perhaps it is a little "tall" - but TBH it looks acceptable to me and I don't fancy building another!

I'm also not convinced about the fencing but that can be removed easily enough when we position it on the layout...

cheers

Ben A.

pretty good for first go :sungum:

if there are fences they are usually at least 6 foot pallisade type, don't forget to earth bond the fence!!

• RMweb Gold

This is definately one of the best N gauge models I've ever seen...

Out of interest, what's the chimney for by the station building ?

Thanks.

The chimney I believe is for the boiler house for station heating. Was quite common to have one on largish buildings back in the 190's / 60's.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't claim that as one of mine - the site belongs to Martin Loader. I always check it to see what I've missed in the Thames Valley :)

Where are you based Ian ? Within a days travel of Abingdon ? I must mention this layout to our exhibition manager at the Abingdon show this weekend.

STEVE

Steve

We are near junction 8 of the M25. We have done the Abingdon show before with 'roundhouse' and 'Bourne Vlley' so is a fairly easy trip.

Wish I could get to photo that 60 out of Theale today!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

cheers

Ben A.

Ben

I weather using enamel paints, often thinned with white spirits but in this case I dry brushed the roof area then dabbed the walls of the smaller cabin and used my fingers to smudge the paint to give a blotchy effect on it. The newer REB is fairly clean.

I do like the way you made the mast section on the GSRM structure.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A about a month ago I managed to photo a Kineton to Didcot MOD train consisting of a class 67 and 10 freight liner wagons. One of our main operators, Mike, has taken up te challenge of doing both charter trains and MOD trains. Here as a photo of the first 5 container last he has done from photos I sent him of the MOD train. This will be running at Wyre Forest how next weekend along with the first MOD train he built when we saw that one back in October 2011 when the layout briefly visited te reall station on our way to the Barrow In Furness show.

post-1557-0-48690100-1330761987_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Managed to more or less complete the GSMR structure last night and also glue in place the two portable structures behind the box.

The shot of the GSMR was taken last night before I started adding the walkway between it and the track. There is some fencing to go in behind the GSRM structure which will be aded tonight before gluing it down.

Ian

post-1557-0-12638500-1330934488_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-68506000-1330934561_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I did manage to sort out the reliability of one of my Farish class 168's over the weekend. I have fond that after taking them apart to do the modifications in order to fit a decoder, that the electrical pick up is often very poor. So on Sunday I hard wired the decoder to the bogie pickups. However on testing, it still ran poorly. After taking out the axle sets from the bogie and cleaning the wheel pickups plus bending the brass wipers, the unit now runs very smoothyl. Only problem is that I have quite a few others that I will now need to do the same with.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ben

I will have to look what number is on the Humbrol tin but think its concrete colour which is lighter than the spray primer. The mast needs a wash of silver over the grey to give the impression of galvanising so will do thst tonight when I paint the mirror face on the DOO mirror (if thats what it is, as looks the same as we have in South London) on platform 3/4 London end.

The railings to the GSMR are modified from the ones i the BMLA bridge kit whihc are close for the platform and steps next to the mast but not relly orrect for the air con platform, although these do differ on such installations.

Ian

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I dont believe the bin liner gets this far up the Chiltern lines as it turns off at Princes Risborough.

We still have plenty of trains to model though such as the Colas covered steel carriers that ran through Banbury in 2011 plus car carriers when we can get the correct wagons.

We do want to do the cruise ship specials though!

Ian

We still have plenty of trains to model though such as the Colas covered steel carriers that ran through Banbury in 2011 plus car carriers when we can get the correct wagons.

Ian

The Colas steel traffic was a regular working during 2009 hauled by 47's either solo or in pairs if the load justified it. I may be wrong here - please correct me if thats the case, but I think that traffic flow had switched to Boston in Lincolnshire by last year if not earlier in 2010. Plenty of Colas steel traffic between Margam and Dollands Moor along the GWML to this day, but only with 66's.

STEVE

• RMweb Gold

Not too much prgress tonight on the layout but the board with the GSMR and the South box is now packed away ready for Worcester this weekend and the next board is set up for some more detailing work. The DOO mirror has now been glued into position. I think its really for the bay platform, number 4.

More off scene work down with the construction of another tray for the caol hoppers and farish container flats - should speee up setting up the stock and then packing it away on Sunday evening!

Ian

I saw photos taken in 2011 with a class 47 and some times as few as three sheeted wagons but other shots with quite a few more wagons. I have three wagons and a Farish 47 to do in Colas rail livery.

Ian

Yes, the load was very varied, anything from 3 up to around 17/18 wagons when a pair of duffs was used. In 2009 the working was weekly on a Thursday. If you've got links to those 2011 shots I'd be very interested.

Thanks

STEVE