2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Due to lack of space on the main Cambrian sheds, with so many out of traffic, many engines were sent to the lesser used sheds.

Example 9021 spent September 1956 to June 1957 at Abercynon in winter storage.

9021 was lucky. One of only eight engines to survive the winter 1956/7 storage, returning to Aberystwth from Abercynon. 9008-12/16/20/22-28 deamed not worthy to bring back into summer service and were towed direct from storage to Swindon for cutting in the July.

Mike Wiltshire

Hello Mike,

You haven't mixed up Abercynon with Aberayron?

See post 533

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Due to lack of space on the main Cambrian sheds, with so many out of traffic, many engines were sent to the lesser used sheds.

Example 9021 spent September 1956 to June 1957 at Abercynon in winter storage.

9021 was lucky. One of only eight engines to survive the winter 1956/7 storage, returning to Aberystwth from Abercynon. 9008-12/16/20/22-28 deamed not worthy to bring back into summer service and were towed direct from storage to Swindon for cutting in the July.

Mike Wiltshire

T P Dalton's book 'Cambrian Companionship' has a photo of Dukedogs in store on the 'back road' at Aberystwyth in February 1957.

He records the numbers as 9018, 9017, 9015, 9013, 9022 & 9016

Hello Mike,

You haven't mixed up Abercynon with Aberayron?

See post 533

Ian

No. The data I have clearly states Abercynon with the 9021 example.

Aberayron would be an odd and insecure place to store an engine as the station closed in 1951 and only had infrequent freight.traffic. Scrap mans charter.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

T P Dalton's book 'Cambrian Companionship' has a photo of Dukedogs in store on the 'back road' at Aberystwyth in February 1957.

He records the numbers as 9018, 9017, 9015, 9013, 9022 & 9016

I wonder if there is any connection with the last two in the line being sent for scrapping five months later, whilst the first 4 were all prepared for one last season? Requirement for four engines, first four get chosen?

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if there is any connection with the last two in the line being sent for scrapping five months later, whilst the first 4 were all prepared for one last season? Requirement for four engines, first four get chosen?

Mike Wiltshire

Usually it would be based on mileage run plus whatever had found it way onto the engine's record card with an Inspector's report (usually the Boiler Inspector) if considered necessary to make a final choice.  9017 was clearly a good 'un lasting to the end and long enough for me to have a run behind when it assisted our train up to Talerddig on our day of departure from a holiday at Aberdovey - and i had spent as much of our time there as I could dragging my parents around various parts of the Cambrian looking for it only to be told whereever we went that it had been there a day or two earlier - to my eternal regret I didn't get a decent pic of it as our train went forward.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No. The data I have clearly states Abercynon with the 9021 example.

Aberayron would be an odd and insecure place to store an engine as the station closed in 1951 and only had infrequent freight.traffic. Scrap mans charter.

Mike Wiltshire

I'm sure your data is impeccable..but I think it's presence would have aroused.....even in those days....a degree of animated curiosity which would have had reverberations for miles around.As I said,I was there at the time and I think would have noticed anything unusual..witness the Webb Coal Tank's presence.The shed was clearly visible from the station platform

Evening All,

I have finished running in my Dukedog, and it now joins the ever growing list to be re-gauged and chipped. I have to say this model is an absolute beauty, runs perfectly and with a few detail/weathering refinements will look the business. I would go as far as to say the best Western RTR model to date! If Bachmann keep this up we are in for a very bright future. Now make my year and announce a 94xx please, pretty please!

A quick photo-call before going into temporary storage (just like the real ones!).

Regards,

Andy.

post-7049-0-79055100-1390503808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy M
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening All,

I have finished running in my Dukedog, and it now joins the ever growing list to be re-gauged and chipped. I have to say this model is an absolute beauty, runs perfectly and with a few detail/weathering refinements will look the business. I would go as far as to say the best Western RTR model to date! If Bachmann keep this up we are in for a very bright future. Now make my year and announce a 94xx please, pretty please!

A quick photo-call before going into temporary storage (just like the real ones!).

Regards,

Andy.

Nice shot Andy.

Would be good to see some more of your layout as well. :)

Cheers,

Mark

I've just taken delivery of three of the beasts, 9017 and 2x 9003 and have been running them in. 9017 is noticeably noisier than its DCC cousins despite over an hour of running in.

Does anyone know if the Bachmann GWR green is the correct shade and is it the same as the pre war green (I always assumed GWR green was the same shade from 1928 to 1948)?

As an aside: Hornby's Star is a different shade, but then it seems that Hornby use a different shade of nearly every colour to that supplied by Phoenix, Railmatch or Bachmann.

I am contemplating taking 9003 back to Shirtbutton livery with a 32XX number.

Glenn

Does anyone know if the Bachmann GWR green is the correct shade and is it the same as the pre war green (I always assumed GWR green was the same shade from 1928 to 1948)?

Glenn

Personally I have not found either Bachmann or Hornby shades of green match the Phoenix paints available. As your are going to have to remove the GWR from the tender it may be beneficial to repaint and avoid the stains from removing the GWR transfers of the original. In addition I am not a fan of the matt finish that B & H insist on finishing their models with. Looking at images, there was always a slight reflection of light and a quick blow over of Satin varnish on my Stars gives a much improved look in my opinion.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have backdated mine to shirtbutton , despite great care removing the GWR I had to repaint

the tender . As far as I can see the markings are painted on rather than being transfers . I

ended up with some of the black plastic just showing through the green so had to repaint .

Using Railmatch enamel of post 1928 still gives a slightly darker colour than Bachmanns

green so I may have to do the loco too .

• Like 1

Was tempted by the ones Addlestone Models had for £105 on their stand at the Egham show today,but really after a green one without a chip (why pay extra for something I don't want?) and of course Bachmann don't do one of those.....

Mind you, it would also be restricted to running on my down line as the up line has a very short stretch of 1st Radius I couldn't avoid. Wouldn't be so bad except this is an end-to-end layout.... 

Was tempted by the ones Addlestone Models had for £105 on their stand at the Egham show today,but really after a green one without a chip (why pay extra for something I don't want?) and of course Bachmann don't do one of those.....

Antics are offering the GW green one with the decoder removed for £110

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/750_1.html

My Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl (9003) has arrived on these far distant sunny shores and will be trial run on the 160 foot dogbone layout at my local hobby shop with appropriate Toad following, Hopefully this weekend.  I should probably add crew first as it looks creepy with no one on the very exposed footplate.

I am however having a problem getting the tender brake rigging attached.  It seems the holds into which the pieces should easily snap are too small or non-existent,  Anyone else encountered this issue. I can probably figure out a way to ream the holes out.

Edited by autocoach

Mine took a bit of persuading at first but a little pressure once they were well aligned and the little studs popped into the holes. The Bachmann rodding seems a lot more supple than the Hornby equivalent so it is harder to push in as the rods flex.

I had two holes on the tender brake rigging of my 9003 that took a bit of work to push the studded ends into, I think the hole had a bit of mould flashing in it. You have to be a bit careful when handling the tender not to damage the two stanchions for mounting a storm sheet.

Regards,

Dan

• RMweb Premium

Completed my PTS course at the Bluebell today and took a couple of quick shots of the real Dukedog: http://www.nealball.co.uk/Trains/Bluebell-Railway/Jan-Feb-2014/

My loco will also be back-dated to the GWR roundel - complete with etched number plates for No. 3206 which was based at Didcot ion the 1930's 

Photos of the model are on the Wharncliffe pages

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Mike Wiltshire for the MSWJR/GWR Information as that's what I'm modelling, now how do I swing buying another 3 past SWMBO?

I will probably curse myself for not buying a Dukedog one day just as I regret not buying one of the latterday Hornby Britannia's.  A Brit can be justified on my layout at a stretch and I did see them passing Greenfield, but a Dukedog.....?   The illusion of the Pennines would be shattered If I saw one waddling through a hole in my shed wall...!

• Like 1

Completed my PTS course at the Bluebell today and took a couple of quick shots of the real Dukedog: http://www.nealball.co.uk/Trains/Bluebell-Railway/Jan-Feb-2014/

My loco will also be back-dated to the GWR roundel - complete with etched number plates for No. 3206 which was based at Didcot ion the 1930's 

Photos of the model are on the Wharncliffe pages

I wonder why Bluebell painted the back of the name plates and numbers red... And equally why Baxhmann,s 9017 does not include nameplates.

I agree what a lovely model it is and another one from the Bluebell collection, I think we are 2/3 rgds df the way through the Bluebell loco collection in RTR now, very good.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder why Bluebell painted the back of the name plates and numbers red... And equally why Baxhmann,s 9017 does not include nameplates.

I agree what a lovely model it is and another one from the Bluebell collection, I think we are 2/3 rgds df the way through the Bluebell loco collection in RTR now, very good.

I wonder if we will see the Adams Radial soon then? Which might be what is needed to see it steam again!

Btw GWR nameplates were painted red in BR days

• RMweb Gold

Btw GWR nameplates were painted red in BR days

Only for a short period and only on black liveried engines too I think.Here's an example.

post-126-0-78362700-1390735692_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

According to Eric Mountford, the instruction to paint red backgrounds was issued in November, 1949, and rescinded in April, 1952. This instruction followed a suggestion by a member of public. However, the instruction caused many complaints from photographers, etc.

I understand that the instruction was for mixed traffic locomotives, which is why the SVR have a manor (Bradley?) in this mode, and I think Witherslack Hall (GCR?) got the 'treatment'.

By the time 'Berkeley' went to the Bluebell, it had lost the name plates. Putting them back on is not strictly within it's time line, seeing as the loco is in BR livery. To someone at the Bluebell, it's a 'namer', however, so they're playing model railway rule number 1. To the Bluebell's credit, they're doing it at 12"-1 foot scale....

Hope this helps.

Ian

• Like 1