Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Quick one with opinion needed; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-R1-0-6-0-thats-beeing-converted-to-a-class-H-0-4-4-and-a-USA-shunter-/290892748079?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43ba8f152f&autorefresh=true

Now, I've just bid on this (but am not the high bidder). Toying with going again. Not sure if I have the skill to complete this - but would it be worth it? - is this a viable conversion?

If it suddenly shoots up in price, I'll know someone is more confident than me ;) - but no hard feelings, as I say, not sure if I would be able to do anything with it anyway...

Did you get it? It had to be worth £4.47. I have considered this conversion in the past. I think the main differences between R1 and H lie in the wheelbase (incorrect on the Dublo model anyway, which inherited the N2 coupling rods - penny pinching!) and the bunker. Balancing the chassis is the problem, as with all 0-4-4s. IIRC this chassis modification was used for the Wills O2.

There was an article in the model press on this, but I can't remember where and when (apart from a long time ago).

The "H" class conversion involved a 14xx plus some strategically-cut plasticard / styrene. The "how to" article appeared in MORILL.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are regular ebay offers on an H class bodyshell, claimed to fit the Hornby M7 chassis. It does recommend you to change the wheels! But the price for the resin body is 10 times the winning bid quoted above.

Did you get it? It had to be worth £4.47. I have considered this conversion in the past. I think the main differences between R1 and H lie in the wheelbase (incorrect on the Dublo model anyway, which inherited the N2 coupling rods - penny pinching!) and the bunker. Balancing the chassis is the problem, as with all 0-4-4s. IIRC this chassis modification was used for the Wills O2.

There was an article in the model press on this, but I can't remember where and when (apart from a long time ago).

No - I would have gone higher though (and half wish I did before going to bed!). Ho hum, one for another day... - I've seen the H bodyshells advertised before - but as 14XX's tend to be far cheaper than M7's, I'll have a look for that MORILL article.

The "H" class conversion involved a 14xx plus some strategically-cut plasticard / styrene. The "how to" article appeared in MORILL.

This must be a later article than the one I was thinking of, AFAIK it predates the Airfix 14xx by several years

Does anyone know the correct wheelbase for a H class and for the R1 come to that.

The Dublo R1 is 6' 6" + 7' 9" (strangely correct for an N2 in H0 scale).

EDIT for closing bracket that vanished into cyberspace.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

If either of the two bidders catches themselves on, price will drop to a more realistic £80.

Considering this model is collectable and goes through such places as Vectis I would suggest £80 is not realistic at all.

Keith

This must be a later article than the one I was thinking of, AFAIK it predates the Airfix 14xx by several years

Does anyone know the correct wheelbase for a H class and for the R1 come to that.

The Dublo R1 is 6' 6" + 7' 9" (strangely correct for an N2 in H0 scale..

According to http://www.reocities.com/MotorCity/1291/05.html - the article you (might) have been thinking of would have been Converting from the Hornby Dublo R1, Model Railway Constructor May 1962.

I'm off to try and track down a October 1995 MORILL....

• Like 1

According to http://www.reocities.com/MotorCity/1291/05.html - the article you (might) have been thinking of would have been Converting from the Hornby Dublo R1, Model Railway Constructor May 1962.

I'm off to try and track down a October 1995 MORILL....

Thanks for the link. That's the article (I did say it was a long time ago!) I gather that the Hornby 14xx has a better mech than the Airfix one (the plastic gear on the latter is prone to stripping teeth. (Mine did - unfortunately the replacement is another plastic gear rather than Branchlines brass one - no longer available?).

Even using the 14xx mech the Dublo (or Wrenn) body might be a better starting point as it already has all the curvy bits. (Bodies are quite cheap on eBay. Even new ones are available - cheaply in outlandish colours.

Found this on the web

http://www.orion-models.co.uk/SECR%20H%20img.html

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Considering this model is collectable and goes through such places as Vectis I would suggest £80 is not realistic at all.

Keith

I'm surprised the seller has published the Q&A!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Would you pay £200+ in postage charges for something that doesn't work properly?

The seller admitted to me that:

"Of course it doesn't really cost 250 Euros to send the model from Greece to UK,but it does effectively avoid E-Bay fees,if you understand what I mean...."

He also says

"Bank transfer is only accepted as payment method,always before shipment."

which is against eBay rules.

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Please study pictures carefully

I did - but not for long...........

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. who is about to start a yellow DVT - using pictures thanks to another RMwebber

• Like 1

Please study pictures carefully

I did - but not for long...........

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. who is about to start a yellow DVT - using pictures thanks to another RMwebber

Please study pictures carefully (but not too closely obviously!)

I'll have to watch your DVT, as I might build one myself. Can't wait to see how you do the roof and genny doors with grilles...

• RMweb Gold

Don't know if this one has been on before, but at that price I'd expect at least a front number, shedplate and fire iron rack, even from our friend at Cartmel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-MODEL-No32XX-BR-Class-WD-2-8-0-AUSTERITY-LOCO-WEATHERED-CODE-3-/271158736992?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f2251f860