EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Sellers cannot leave a buyer a "Red" Negative Feedback any more...so, do you leave "Positive" feedback in a "Negative Way", and add to the persons "Greens", or just not leave ANY Feedback????

I reckon he's approaching 50% total negative feedback, definitely not to be trusted.

IMHO E-bay should strike him down.

Keith

An update from someone who quickly became a regular on here.  Have a look at his completed listings and what his feedback in now.  7 reds in a month? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-loc-class-37-/181165586336?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a2e4f77a0

That's the worst feedback record I have ever seen by a huge margin! :O

This idiot suggests we compare the item he's flogging with a Banksy piece.  I've compared it, and there is not even the slightest passing resemblance.

Another complete charlatan, philistine hawker of utter rubbish.  One look belies every word of the description - and he's pretty adept at churning out half of James Joyce's Ulysses in support of the models he keeps dipping in silage.

• Like 2

I reckon he's approaching 50% total negative feedback, definitely not to be trusted.

IMHO E-bay should strike him down.

Keith

If he is struck off e-bay can he start again with a different identity?  If so would it be better to leave him there with negative feedback, at least anybody who deals with him can be forewarned?  I don,t know too much about e-bay so apologies if I have misunderstood.

• Like 1

He is selling a Dublo duchess and says collection only.  What is his game?

If he isn't he should be blocked by paypal or doesn't want to give out his home address till he gets the right amount

• RMweb Gold

I sent him an e bay message to see if he would post the locomotive.  This is the exchange of e bay mesages. Start from the bottom message and work up.

Dear colin_mcleod,

watever

- paulfoden472012
Reply in your email program or through My Messages s.gif

To: paulfoden472012
Subject: Re: Postage: colin_mcleod sent a message about Hornby dubio duchess montrose #181166220332
Sent Date: 30-Jun-13 23:22:22 BST

Dear paulfoden472012,

That was a very rude thing to say in respect of a genuine offer.

Shame on you.

I have read your feedback. A lot of people are advising that you are to be avoided.

There must be a reason for that.

- colin_mcleod

To: colin_mcleod
Subject: Re: Postage: colin_mcleod sent a message about Hornby dubio duchess montrose #181166220332
Sent Date: 30-Jun-13 23:12:51 BST

Dear colin_mcleod,

pal dont waste my time with silly offer

- paulfoden472012

Sent Date: 30-Jun-13 22:56:04 BST

Dear paulfoden472012,

I want to use PayPal in accordance with e bay rules
I hope that would not be a problem.

- colin_mcleod

To: colin_mcleod
Sent Date: 30-Jun-13 21:59:17 BST

Dear colin_mcleod,

yes would but payment by cheque only

- paulfoden472012

Subject: Postage: colin_mcleod sent a message about Hornby dubio duchess montrose #181166220332
Sent Date: 30-Jun-13 21:08:37 BST

Dear paulfoden472012,

Hi,. I note that you say collection only, but as the item is in Birmingham and I am in Lisburn, Northern Ireland and travel to Birmingham to collect an engine is not practical. However, it is very practical to post the engine to Lisburn. If I won this item, would you be prepared to post it and what would the cost be?
Many thanks
Colin

- colin_mcleod

Edit to remove "Respond" button

Edited by Colin_McLeod

Has bought or not bought some ODD items, have a look.

Almost as if he plays railways until his mum/other half goes out then dresses up as a woman to play violent computer games ;-) Edited by C&WR

I sent him an e bay message to see if he would post the locomotive.  This is the exchange of e bay mesages. Start from the bottom message and work up.

Says it all really! I would look elsewhere for a Duchess (there are plenty about!).

One would ask why he would only want payment by cheque.

And on a different tack:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LMS-4P-DEELEY-COMPOUND-4-4-0-RAILWAY-LOCOMOTIVE-TECHNICAL-DRAWING-F-ROCHE-1948-/350813353123?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item51ae1af4a3

That would be about the price for the whole book not just a page!

Edited by Il Grifone

This isn't really eBay madness (so is slightly off topic), however I cant see many of these selling:

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-08-diesel-electric-shunter-br-blue-08129-dcc-fitted-r3151x-JJJA18535.aspx

I appreciate that Rails (and most other retailers) are just going by the guide price (which is £52.99). I'm not really a diesel fan, but I do have the odd one in my collection. With Bachmann 08s on eBay for around the £30 and newer Hornby ones for only slightly more, why would anyone buy this prehistoric thing at the listed price?

I've been keeping an eye out for a Class 08 at a sensible price for some time, 84A, and believe me if Bachmann ones (in BR Blue with wasp stripes) had been going for £30 I would have had one ages ago.  

They might start there, but the times I've tried to bid on any of the 08s they go up to way beyond what I am prepared to spend, especially as I am a DC wallah.  That's why I'm so pleased to have got my Lima one this morning for £25 including postage.  

One eejit was selling a slightly battered early model Hornby variant with no glazing and a missing buffer.  I thought it might be worth a tenner as a project to try detailing /weathering yet it went for a fair bit more.  Funny thing was it reappeared at the same starting price a week or so later - I knew because I recognised the damage!

I've been keeping an eye out for a Class 08 at a sensible price for some time, 84A, and believe me if Bachmann ones (in BR Blue with wasp stripes) had been going for £30 I would have had one ages ago.  

They might start there, but the times I've tried to bid on any of the 08s they go up to way beyond what I am prepared to spend, especially as I am a DC wallah.  That's why I'm so pleased to have got my Lima one this morning for £25 including postage.  

Hmmmm....  Hardly a true comparison though between the Italian loco and the current spec models, really...

Thats the thing though - the model that I have mentioned isnt current spec. The chassis might be fairly recent (ie: darkened wheels, pickups on both sides, etc), however the body is basically the same as one produced by Hornby some 30 years ago. That was essentially the point I was trying to make - how can Hornby justify an RRP of £52.99 for such a model?

C&WR - I must admit, I havent been on the hunt for an 08 for a few years now, and having just done a quick eBay search, I see they are fetching a fair amount (between £50 and £60 in some cases!). However, I remember a time just after the Hornby one came out where the motto seemed to be `ditch the Bachmann 08 at all costs'! That was when I remember seeing them at around £30 for used examples - a price I was amazed at, as the two I have are wonderful runners (just that I couldnt justify any more). I'm pretty sure I paid around £35 to £40 for my Bachmann examples new (its going back a bit though) - I understand inflation, but we live in the UK, not Zimbabwe (or 1920s Germany)!

Edited by 84A

• RMweb Gold

This isn't really eBay madness (so is slightly off topic), however I cant see many of these selling:

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-08-diesel-electric-shunter-br-blue-08129-dcc-fitted-r3151x-JJJA18535.aspx

I appreciate that Rails (and most other retailers) are just going by the guide price (which is £52.99). I'm not really a diesel fan, but I do have the odd one in my collection. With Bachmann 08s on eBay for around the £30 and newer Hornby ones for only slightly more, why would anyone buy this prehistoric thing at the listed price?

I'm not up to speed (sorry) with the gronk market, but have to say that the number of new DCC-fitted locos on the market at this price is probably not all that great. [My only gronk is 08874, the Silverlink Bletchley Depot shunter by Lima, which I won in a staff competition. I have done a little work on it, not least fitting the nameplates which the Lima version lacked. As it also has a decoder it must be worth at least £20!]

Thats the thing though - the model that I have mentioned isnt current spec. The chassis might be fairly recent (ie: darkened wheels, pickups on both sides, etc), however the body is basically the same as one produced by Hornby some 30 years ago. That was essentially the point I was trying to make - how can Hornby justify an RRP of £52.99 for such a model?

I agree, I was kind of disturbed by the Lima spectre raised by CWR.

The only reason I can see for the price of the gronk at Rails is that it's DCC fitted. 

Although why you'd fit DCC to that old dog is beyond me.  You may as well convert a Lima Warship to P4.

Please remember, chaps, that I'm relatively new back on the model railway scene so don't know all the full background to pricing and so on. I certainly would't argue against the knowledge on this forum.

I am mainly rebuilding my childhood trainset for my little lad & because there are more decent products about & thanks to the internet advice in how to use them turning what was a completely bare (although very much loved) roundy-roundy baseboard into something a bit more pleasing to a grown-up eye.  I suspect he wouldn't care if I had just left it!

Unfortunately I am both time and relatively cash poor and therefore have been using eBay to fill some gaps.  From my childhood I had a stable of GWR King class, and Prairie and Pannier tanks allowing three types of operation.  I also had a HST and Western class, so with a degree of willing suspension of disbelief those could go together, but I wanted the 08 to fill the Pannier Tank role.  I had my heart set on a BR Blue one but never saw one of those go for under £50, which I feel is outside my budget, so was pleased to find this for what I paid:

Lima%252008.JPG

It's a step up from many that had been available & good enough for me!

• Like 4

It was rubbish when it first appeared (1956 IIRC at 33/6d) and hasn't improved with age.