Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Being away from the UK for several decades, the over-pricing quotes here go right over my head. As do the references to "early versions".

I wonder if as part of the Buy and Sell SW, we could have an self-accumulating "average sale price" database created of each popular RTR item and version. 

Then sellers (and buyers) there could look it up before listing. . .  . . . . .

Now wouldn't that be a "service to modellers" that thousands would flock to RM-WEB continually, to look at?

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert
  • Like 2

.....as part of the Buy and Sell SW, we could have an self-accumulating "average sale price" database created of each popular RTR item and version. 

Then sellers (and buyers) there could look it up before listing. . .  . . . . ..

I wonder if that might have the unintended effect of pushing average prices on eBay even further, leading to knock-on effects in B&S....

Well if Ebay BIN prices are way too high now, I don't see how a record of actual sales at a lower prices can push anything up. If it doesn't sell, it isn't recorded.

Are you suggesting the similar stock market trading records cause self-inflation?

Andy

Anything for sale on Ebay that includes the word "RARE" in the title immediately gets a no-vote from me. Who are these jokers trying to kid?

"kit built", "scratch built", "like Brand X", multiple brands/makes listed in description, "mint in box" are immediate off-putters for me.

What gets me is the old, old stuff in the 'finescale' section just because it's got Romford or Jackson 'scale' wheels on.... Who, looking in 'Finescale', would want a 40 odd year old Tri-ang Jinty.

Dave.

• Like 1

This is a new one on me: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIECE-OF-A4-PAPER-GREAT-FOR-WRITING-Hornby-Bachmann-LOCO-NUMBERS-ON-067d-/221735848105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a07c88a9

It is as it says, a sheet of A4 paper... 

Offered for sale here is a piece of A4 Paper. This can be used for writing Hornby loco numbers on. This paper will come with the number 067d written on it to distinguish it from other pieces of paper.

Buyer to pay postage cost of £5.00 on this item (Recorded Delivery - see note below).

Please view my other items for sale.

Good luck and Happy Bidding!

The starting price of £250 nearly made me fall out of my chair!

Edit: For those of us on a tighter budget, he also seems to have several at only £50 starting price!

Edited by Skinnylinny

• RMweb Gold

This is a new one on me: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIECE-OF-A4-PAPER-GREAT-FOR-WRITING-Hornby-Bachmann-LOCO-NUMBERS-ON-067d-/221735848105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a07c88a9

It is as it says, a sheet of A4 paper... 

The starting price of £250 nearly made me fall out of my chair!

Edit: For those of us on a tighter budget, he also seems to have several at only £50 starting price!

Read the description - the seller has an axe to grind, and has been doing so for quite a long time ....

Anything for sale on Ebay that includes the word "RARE" in the title immediately gets a no-vote from me. Who are these jokers trying to kid?

Mostly I'm just glad they didn't spell it 'L@@K R@RE!!'

Ah, but including the word RARE means that the price can be jacked up to the limit...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-Hornby-R155-TC-TRANSCONTINENTAL-MAROON-SWITCHER-LOCO-7005-RARE-PROTOTYPE-/361161482961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5416e6e2d1

• RMweb Gold

And I shudder to think what the asking price would be if it were actually MEGA RARE, and not just plain RARE. :jester:

Edited by RFS

For once this item is actually 'rare' (and probably qualifies as 'mega rare' - it is almost certainly a 'one-off'), but whether it's worth £974.50 I don't know... (Certainly not to me!).

Strange things happen pricewise when collectors find an item in unusual colours.

Edited by Il Grifone

I know that the SECR converted one of Wainwright's C class locos into a saddle tank but I never knew they converted another one of the class into one of these!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Great-British-Locomotive-Collection-Train-SECR-C-CLASS-0-6-0-No-592-/181710038721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4ec326c1 

They obviously used the same 'Jelly Mould' that the LMS used.