Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

eBay is weird. I've just been bidding on some manky old Coopercraft O gauge wagons, that I have ideas for that involves a fair bit of vandalism. There were two offered in each of two auctions. The first pair went for £16.55, that was way over my bid, but none of the bidders in that auction went for the second pair a few minutes later, and I got them for £4.59 plus postage. If nothing else I've got the wheels for a quarter of the new price!

I was interested in some items once. The seller had listed several at the same starting price. I bid on the first and was outbid, so I bid again on the second and got it for the starting price. Good fortune for the seller!

It happens all the time with items from China etc. Multiple listings at 99p or similar. Each has a mini bidding war instead of buyers just going for the next one.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

I was interested in some items once. The seller had listed several at the same starting price. I bid on the first and was outbid, so I bid again on the second and got it for the starting price. Good fortune for the seller!

It happens all the time with items from China etc. Multiple listings at 99p or similar. Each has a mini bidding war instead of buyers just going for the next one.

I suppose most people aren't sitting at their computer waiting to place a bid in the last few seconds like I do, so I can move on to the next item if I lose it. If the seller takes the trouble to offer something, the least I can do is make the effort to be there when the auction ends!

I got some cheap buffers on a BIN for one of the wagons yesterday. The seller even messaged me to point out they're a bit rusty, but I replied that that makes them a good match for the wagon they're going on!

Edited by BG John
  • Like 3

I wish there was a way I could block this clown's auctions from coming up in all my searches but alas i have yet to find the blanket block seller button, just the search by search option  :(

I wish there was a way I could block this clown's auctions from coming up in all my searches but alas i have yet to find the blanket block seller button, just the search by search option  :(

But there is a way!

in your search line add "-gostude" and be sure to check the box to include description - easy.

only downside is the number of rejects you need to add to the list.

ebay are very unlikely to introduce an optional reject seller as it is against their interests and it would also be something novel and useful unlike most of their "added features".

On the subject of these repainted Lima items. How much do you think it would cost you to have them to be professionally repainted. Or should that be free just like kit building?

Gostude has 4067 positive feedback a in last 12 months and 6 negatives.

Just shows that the world is full of suckers, otherwise this sort of seller would have given up long ago.

This railcar set at least is a presentable paint job, even if a power twin with two brake ends is somewhat scarce and I would not want to be travelling on a suburbam dmu on 1A20.

Regards

That's not bad imho.

So what exactly is wrong with his selling?

Just interested to hear why, that's all.

Actually Gostude does offer a number of items at reasonable (if not bargain) prices. What let's him down is the listing of items of questionable pedigree with frankly ludicrous descriptions, and a tendency to advertise certain rare items at frankly bonkers prices. The latter tactic is used by some sellers when they know they have a scarce item which may take a determined collector time and effort to find. They advertise it at a sky high figure hoping that an armchair collector for whom money is no object will select their item rather than putting in the legwork needed to secure an example at a more typical rate. Although many such items go many months without selling using these tactics, it does succeed just often enough to encourage this approach for some sellers.

Cartmel (Micman) prices his entire inventory this way and whilst his listing to sales ratio is appallingly low , he sells just enough to continue to pursue this strategy.

• Like 2

That's not bad imho.

So what exactly is wrong with his selling?

Just interested to hear why, that's all.

Unless I'm mistaken, feedback is self selecting - ie you have to have brought from someone to give them a rating. Therefore, if you've won an auction, you'll be ok with the price and so long as the item arrives well packaged, on time and per description, you're more likely than not to give a good rating.

Equally the rating doesn't capture feedback on what has not sold (no sale therefore no rating to apply) nor from those who thought the item overpriced.

David

Good morning all

It amazes me, that the above dealer, lists many of his locos with Romford Bulldog motors. It must be forty years since this motor was in production.

I imagine that many Romford Bulldogs now have worn brushes, and where do you get replacements?

If I was in the market for ready built kits, I would prefer other five pole options for replacement XO4 type motors. I would prefer those where replacement brushes are available.

Earlswood nob

• RMweb Premium

Unless I'm mistaken, feedback is self selecting - ie you have to have brought from someone to give them a rating. Therefore, if you've won an auction, you'll be ok with the price and so long as the item arrives well packaged, on time and per description, you're more likely than not to give a good rating.

Equally the rating doesn't capture feedback on what has not sold (no sale therefore no rating to apply) nor from those who thought the item overpriced.

David

But it has to be that way, that only purchasers can rate. Otherwise , anyone who didn't like the seller could give a poor rating for something, they haven't seen in the flesh.

Now there's an idea!

On the subject of these repainted Lima items. How much do you think it would cost you to have them to be professionally repainted. Or should that be free just like kit building?

Would you buy the item if it was appropriate to your modelling?