RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Would you buy the item if it was appropriate to your modelling?

The answer to that depends - is it so "rare" I cannot get my hands on one in a good unpainted condition for a lot less than the asking price plus what it would cost me to have it repainted to the same or better standard, plus of course how urgently I need one in a repainted condition, and that might be subjective.

The same applies to "kit built items". On several occasions I have purchased a "kit built" item simply to dismantle it and rebuild to my "standards", in other words to obtain the raw kit at often much less than the virgin kit out of the box (often seen at stupidly inflated prices on eBay).

It is not that unusual to see kits DJH, AG, Crowline, Craftman, etc and the like in particular with "asking" prices over double the original kit. This is even more speculative for 7mm kits where the original kit is still available direct. This particular seller is far from being alone in this speculation. Ebay has many desperate bidders or simple mugs who are taken in by this.

On the other hand a DJH kit purchased for something like £50, built by an amateur to a reasonable standard (it runs) can often go for less. As a bonus you get wheels (I've had good and bad surprises there) and a motor (often dubious open frame, but RG4 not unknown). What cost anew motor/gearbox for the rebuild?

As it costs upwards of £250 for 4mm build a no change from £100 for painting that built DJH runner should be on sale for more like £500. But no one on ebay will expect to pay that for it will they? Anyone who asks those sort of prices will get nominated as the Gostude replacement for the butt of "ebay madness".

what irks me, and I think many others, about this "professional" seller (and his compatriots) is the inability to describe adequately or even correctly what is for sale.

If that's a waiting room... then it's not only the airline industry where passengers are described as "self-loading freight".

I had that model once (sans pointy bit on the roof), wonder what happened to it.

Good morning all

I prefer building kits, rather than buying RTR locos.

However, as Kenton mentions above, one can sometimes find bargains with badly assembled models.

I won a "so-called" professionally built model, which had been built using glue without cleaning mould lines etc, paint applied with a shovel, and the wrong style of transfer numbers. A soak in the stripping bath and it was reduced to a pile of bits and I now have a new kit. A bonus was a Comet chassis and Romford wheels, and all for a price less that the cost of a new Comet chassis.

I won a loco at an auction (not Ebay), for a good price. Before putting the body in the stripping bath, I removed the chassis, and I found a Portescap motor.

Normally at auctions the Auction House has the experts in recognising and describing lots. Ebay relies on the vendor for recognising and describing items. However, they both can make mistakes.

Earlswood nob

• RMweb Gold

Normally at auctions the Auction House has the experts in recognising and describing lots. Ebay relies on the vendor for recognising and describing items. However, they both can make mistakes.

Earlswood nob

I recently 'won' an assembled kit, quite nicely done as it happens, the bonus was that it was already P4ed and there was a Portescap fitted, neither of which were easily apparent in the vendors photography or described. Pleased that I went for it on a hunch!

• Like 5

How not to photograph........

All it needed was white paper!

There are also no N/silver coupling rods.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERSEVERANCE-CHASSIS-KIT-for-a-GWR-COLLETT-14XX-or-517-CLASS-0-4-2T-LOCO-00g/291676348066?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid%3

From the camouflage range. The etch has definitely been touched, though - the rear rigid axle positions are missing from the frames.

Rods available from Comet, I think.

• RMweb Gold
Bodmin Bob, on 08 Feb 2016 - 21:33, said:

This maybe a  Stanier but I think it is one of his numerous tanks as opposed to one of his coaches

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-RAILWAYS-MODEL-No-R-473-R474-LMS-57-STANIER-COACHES-VN-MIB-/400909393210?hash=item5d580fdd3a:g:rowAAOSwBahVPU36

This guy seems to make a habit of listing things with the wrong picture ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NER-North-Eastern-Railway-Horsebox-Dia-67-built-from-d-s-kit-DS177-/322001546306?hash=item4af8c9ac42:g:sEEAAOSwll1WtwVa

I have an unbuilt one....... but I for one don't think there's a 100 quid of work in the assembly and definitely not in the painting.

On the plus side I don't need to consult the dictionary should i ever forget the meaning of the word "optimist"

Edited by Steve Taylor
  • Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NER-North-Eastern-Railway-Horsebox-Dia-67-built-from-d-s-kit-DS177-/322001546306?hash=item4af8c9ac42:g:sEEAAOSwll1WtwVa

I have an unbuilt one....... but I for one don't think there's a 100 quid of work in the assembly and definitely not in the painting.

On the plus side I don't need to consult the dictioinary should i ever forget the meaning of the word "optimist"

Everything is more expensive on the Continent.

I'm sure I have seen one just like that exhibited - in fact I have seen a lot not even up to that standard. Once more we find it easy to critique a layout though the "fine scale" prism. It is OK, possibly quite good and pretty well complete. The only problem really is the BIN price, a little optimistic but then it is ebay and the claim is that he is open to offers.

On the plus side I don't need to consult the dictionary should i ever forget the meaning of the word "optimist"

OK, lets see £25 for the kit (I've not checked if this is one of the "rarer" D&S kits) add the wheels (OK it is only OO, must be hundreds of those lying around), no other parts required for a D&S kit? What 4 hrs to build one (you are rather fast at kit construction aren't you?) and that includes time taken to clean it all ready for painting. What 30 minutes to paint, surely that can be done even to that standard a bit quicker, and do not forget the lining and transfers. Perhaps £100 for adding parts, constructing and paining does seem to be expensive to some.

Oh dear, I forgot, but you could always buy one on ebay completed for the price of the original kit.

Yeh, I know - it's only a hobby and not a commercial enterprise. Just another BIN rather than letting the market decide, all I can find to complain about. That and if you wait a while you can no doubt pick up a fully working kit built loco for less.

• RMweb Premium

Gostude has 4067 positive feedback a in last 12 months and 6 negatives.

That's not bad imho.

So what exactly is wrong with his selling?

Just interested to hear why, that's all.

Just shows that the world is full of suckers, otherwise this sort of seller would have given up long ago.

This railcar set at least is a presentable paint job, even if a power twin with two brake ends is somewhat scarce and I would not want to be travelling on a suburbam dmu on 1A20.

Regards

So I'm a sucker?

I bought some Tortoise point motors from him at £10 each including connectors

They were complete, in very good condition and came well packed.

I consider that a fair price.

Am I supposed to give hime a crap rating just because someone else thinks I should?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

So I'm a sucker?

I bought some Tortoise point motors from him at £10 each including connectors

They were complete, in very good condition and came well packed.

I consider that a fair price.

Am I supposed to give hime a crap rating just because someone else thinks I should?

Keith

You should give your rating based on your buying experience.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The grey on the sides of the 37 looks rather like mould, formed on the deposits left by fingers on the most-handled areas. Beneath that and the layer of dust on the upper surfaces there is some weathering. Cleaning it might have been a good idea...and a more realistic price.