RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Sideways......................

Cheers,

Mick

I received an email from eBay that the book had been reduced to £18 and I would save a fortune.

(I will - £18!)

I might be tempted at £9.99 but SWMBO says I already have "too many" (sic) books (and trains). I can't think what she means!

Incidentally, isn't the phrase "excellent cosmetic condition" rather in contradiction to all the waffle about being "used" etc.? I would interpret the former as being in new condition or at least nearly so.

Perhaps the seller has had problems in the past - I once sold an item as "damaged" and received negative feedback - because it was "damaged"! It didn't sell for much either....

Edited by Il Grifone

I received an email from eBay that the book had been reduced to £18 and I would save a fortune.

(I will - £18!)

I might be tempted at £9.99 but SWMBO says I already have "too many" (sic) books (and trains). I can't think what she means!

Incidentally, isn't the phrase "excellent cosmetic condition" rather in contradiction to all the waffle about being "used" etc.? I would interpret the former as being in new condition or at least nearly so.

Perhaps the seller has had problems in the past - I once sold an item as "damaged" and received negative feedback - because it was "damaged"! It didn't sell for much either....

Her indoors is always telling me that I have far too many railway books also (maybe because mine fill all the bookshelves in the house whilst hers have had to be relegated to being kept in boxes in the loft) - however I feel that if you have a genuine interest in railways then you can never have too many books and you never stop learning.

The only problem is that I am now getting to the age where I see what looks like a fantastic read in a transport book shop - buy it - and then discover when I get home that I have already got a copy - it's happened 3 times in the last 18 months!!

The other problem is when well meaning relatives end up buying you the 'WHSmith book of trains' for Christmas (well he does like 'trains') when in reality you want to read up on the history on the Didcot Newbury & Swindon line or the development of Thompson's post war coaching stock! So the WHSmith book ends up in the loft also!!

Edited by Bodmin Bob

So I'm not alone in buying another copy of a book I already have!   :)

Chinese reprints with really cra rubbish poorly printed/indecipherable pictures are something else I must learn to avoid....  :O :nono:

I must have at least two copies of that W.H. Smith book!

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

So I'm not alone in buying another copy of a book I already have!   :)

Chinese reprints with really cra rubbish poorly printed/indecipherable pictures are something else I must learn to avoid....  :O :nono:

I must have at least two copies of that W.H. Smith book!

HRP books are good at that

Ian Allan reprints with pages of grey wishy-washy something that may, or may not be, something railway related. :scratchhead:

You can usually get a good used original for the same price.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at his other items. Not sure what he's expecting or offering come to that with all the WAB stuff.

....also his descriptions, presentations and price expectations are some way off the mark..

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at his other crap items, I think we can file this chancer seller in the world loves a tryer/optimist category.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Having looked at his other crap items, I think we can file this chancer seller in the world loves a tryer/optimist category.

Mike.

Perhaps the fact that it has no wheels

explains why it's described as 'stranded'

It has got ultrascale, sorry rare, wheels though.......

It's a Finney kit, and a nice P4 job has been made of it, but a thousand quid is - as they say in corporate / football manager speak - "a big ask" when most people still whinge about spending a hundred.

It's a Finney kit, and a nice P4 job has been made of it, but a thousand quid is - as they say in corporate / football manager speak - "a big ask" when most people still whinge about spending a hundred.

I know the seller.  He is a really good modeller and his research is top notch. He works with David Geen on GWR prototype coach info, stuff like what the underframes were exactly like and where the jumpers between suburban stock were sited (and when they were re-sited).

Unfortunately he is going blind.

He can hardly see to open an e-mail and these listings are the best he can do. He cannot see how good or bad the photos are.

Tony

.....Unfortunately he is going blind.

He can hardly see to open an e-mail and these listings are the best he can do. He cannot see how good or bad the photos are.

I think the photos are just about clear enough to show that this is a quality model. It doesn't change the perception that paying a grand is quite a psychological barrier to a good many. There were two other 47xxs - one OO, the other EM - which were built from "unofficial" Kemilway etches and were hawked around eBay for a good long while at £395 each, and they never seemed to find a buyer. They both had Ultrascales too, and looked quite cleanly built.

As for going blind, that's not something you'd wish on anyone.  Deterioration of eyesight is arguably an occupational hazard as modellers age. I am occasionally experiencing difficulties focusing on little bits in 4mm scale, so am having to squint. To those who say just go up to 7mm scale: absolutely not!

Edited by Horsetan

47xx's never seem to be that common or popular models.  The two other that Horse talks about were built by one of the owners and designers of Kemilway.  As he says these were priced at around £350-400 and struggled for quite some time. So all 3 were built by competent modellers but appeared to remain unsold, despite being for sale at 'market rates' for a sale as opposed to a comission.

It will be interesting how the Heljan RTR one sells, especially as they are talking of a RRP of £200.

At the club last night someone brought along a Mallard matchboard auto coach part built by John Hayes many years ago but not painted. The comment was made that it is 'worth a fortune' - but is it really?

Tony   

Edited by Rail-Online

Good morning all

I get great pleasure from building kits, and hopefully I am able to do so for many years to come.

However, the cost of building a model is unlikely to recouped if it is sold on.

The detail in R-T-R models is so good these days, that it is difficult to match, but putting my hand in my pocket to buy a R-T-R loco does not provide the hours of pleasure and sometimes frustration that I get from building one myself.

Earlswood nob

Accurate description?

One piece Boiler/Firebox/Smokebox...... I don't think so.

Etched Cab/Smoke deflectors......they look like white metal in the pics.

Kit is now unavailable and therefore extremely rare.....someone hasn't told Dave Ellis that he isn't producing the W1 anymore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/South-Eastern-Finecast-LNER-W1-Class-Hush-Hush-Locomotive-Kit-F184-/232056894204?hash=item3607ab32fc:g:joYAAOSwaB5Xu2nK