RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

This has been up so many times that I don't think that this tw*t will ever learn!

It's like this one that has been put up for longer that I can remember. I've got one of these awful things that is even 'MIB' (brown cardboard!) that I might put up for 0.99p!;)

It says in his description

He can't have been very good to produce something so awful! ......perhaps that's a little unkind seeing as it was a long time ago.

I thought they were c**p back then! I did finally acquire one in the sixties (that dreadful safety vale casing had already been replaced). IIRC I paid 5/- for her. The Tri-ang Chassis eventually finished up under something else... I did get another boxed one (at least it was the proper box) in the eighties. This one was a couple of quid. The paint cracked off soon afterwards!

Pass the chequebook...

RARE?

or just... Pass...

This is the 3rd or 4th time he's listed this with exactly the same BIN price - needless to say , no takers!

It's not even BIN - it's a starting price, FFS! And there's £24.00 (yes, you read that right) postage on top.

What's the mindset of the seller here? Maybe, just maybe, he believes that the set is worth £750. I doubt it, if he's tried and failed to sell it several times over, but no matter. If it is worth that, someone will pay that price if their arm is twisted, so why not tempt buyers in with a starting bid of, say, £200 (which might actually be a reasonable price, BTW), and let the bidding process do its work? Or does he think that the train is worth thousands, and that he is enticing people in with his amazingly low starting price?

<br />It's not even BIN - it's a <i>starting</i> price, FFS! And there's £24.00 (yes, you read that right) postage on top.<br /><br />What's the mindset of the seller here? Maybe, just maybe, he believes that the set is worth £750. I doubt it, if he's tried and failed to sell it several times over, but no matter. If it <i>is</i> worth that, someone will pay that price if their arm is twisted, so why not tempt buyers in with a starting bid of, say, £200 (which might actually be a reasonable price, BTW), and let the bidding process do its work? Or does he think that the train is worth thousands, and that he is enticing people in with his amazingly low starting price?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

More likely that SWMBO said 'sell it' and he'd rather keep it... "I honestly don't know why no one's bought it, dear!"

There is another one listed by a different seller with a start price of £95 : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DCK-kit-BR-Derby-Cl-144-2-car-Railbus-suit-Hornby-Peco-/280599782233?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item41550ce359

I've been watching some of the DC Kits kits and they generally sell for more than the new price is direct from DC Kits :O

Andy B)

....I've been watching some of the DC Kits kits and they generally sell for more than the new price is direct from DC Kits :O

This can happen all over the shop, not just with DC Kits.

The first time I put a very old SBB Ae6/6 (one of a trio) on eBay, I was amazed when it went for rather more than what its price was when new..... Even more surprising, given that the manufacturer - in later years - completely retooled and upgraded the thing to much higher standards of detail.

Hi All

It really grinds my gears, when you see wagons on eBay going for more than you would pay in the shop; I am not talking about bidding on something, but ones that are set a price, Higher than you would pay in shop in the first place.

I would rather support my local model shop and pay a little less and get a brand new one.

All eBay seem to be now days is full of over priced stuff, one time you could get bargain, but not much chance of that now days.

• Like 1

PART OF A SMALL COLLECTION AVAILABLE OF BLANK BODY SHELLS THAT WERE REMOVED FROM THE FACTORY WHEN IT CLOSED BY A VERY ANGRY CHIEF DRAFTSMAN !!!!!

"Removed"????? A less generous person could come to the conclusion that this item was in fact stolen...

• RMweb Gold

"Removed"????? A less generous person could come to the conclusion that this item was in fact stolen...

I'm sure you are right - in law. Perhaps the factory closed abruptly, wages were owed and not likely to be paid, and staff seized assets in lieu. It is wrong, it is stealing, but people are human.

I'm sure you are right - in law. Perhaps the factory closed abruptly, wages were owed and not likely to be paid, and staff seized assets in lieu. It is wrong, it is stealing, but people are human.

Around twenty years ago I remember finding in a shop part finished tenders for Hornby Dublo City of Liverpool/London locomotives. Their explanation was that towards the end more stock was disappearing out of the factory gates at Binns road in the boots of cars than on the delivery trucks. I don't know how true this is, but the shop had a tray with thirty of the tenders, pristine but lacking the component to attach them to the loco.

If a company goes bust an employee can seize assets in lieu of unpaid wages, but it has to be done in a very strict way. The items should be carefully catalogued, and be only to the value of wages owed. The receiver should then be notified that you have the goods, what they are in lieu of and provide a timetable for the goods to either be sold to cover what is owed or the receiver to pay what is owed and retrieve the goods. I've seen it done when Time computers went into administration and the more savvy shop staff made sure that they were paid one way or another in a way that had no legal come back.

• RMweb Gold

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OO-gauge-boxed-Hornby-set-br-class-101-3-car-dmu-/300502810173?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item45f75cfe3d#ht_500wt_

Now I like my DMUs but this is ambitious, if this sells for this amount, mine are going on ebay straight away.

And when did GNER operate class 101 DMU's?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...cfe3d#ht_500wt_

Now I like my DMUs but this is ambitious, if this sells for this amount, mine are going on ebay straight away.

I think the seller really ought to take a look at what he/she has written.

This is on a BIN and yet, the seller states "up for bidding .............."

Apart from making an offer, there is no way that you can make a bid on it.

As for £112? Forget it.

David

Edit: Perhaps I ought to make an offer of £30.00?

Double Edit: I've made an offer. Let's see what he comes back with.

Edited by DJH584

Anyone fancy £22 in £2 coins for £25 + £2 postage?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item5196c4e4b0

By the time you take into account listing and final valuation fees, it's not much of a profit at the end of the day.

Going back to my post, matey boy has not replied to it yet.......................shall I hold my breath? ..................No.

David

Guest baldrick25

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OO-gauge-boxed-Hornby-set-br-class-101-3-car-dmu-/300502810173?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item45f75cfe3d#ht_500wt_

Seems like he's selling it twice:- The item above at £112 and this:_

Ebay Sale

Unless of course he has two of them!

• RMweb Gold

And people think railway modellers are mad

Look at these search results :O :blink: :blink: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=heston+blumenthal+christmas+pudding&_sacat=See-All-Categories

And only about half-a-dozen will post to France! Wot is an ex-pat to do?