I AM SELLING PART OF MY COLLECTION TO AID VERY ILL FAMILY MEMBERS

So we shouldn't be snarky....

?

Quote;

"NEW!! RARE!!

Bachmann / RAILS

- LAST COUPLE NOW!

LNWR IMPROVED 'PRECEDENT' CLASS!"

He must have bought quite a few for his collection. 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Nothing to do with profiteering as Rails' stock runs out then?

So what is profiteering? We all have the option to pre-order models when they are announced.

i] some will pre-order what they'll need;

ii] some will wait and see if they like what is produced, but risk there being no remaining stock from the manufacturer;

iii] and some see it as a business opportunity and, knowing that ii] above will inevitably occur, pre-order a dozen or so, taking the risk that they may only get a proportion of those. Such stock as they do obtain is sold at a mark-up when no-one else has any.

If that is profiteering, then virtually every commercial transaction in the world can be so described! Those of us of a more cautious demeanour nowadays run the risk of being disappointed, or paying over the odds, if they ultimately decide to purchase. The days of the Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang catalogues, which hardly changed from year to year, and the contents of which could always be found at / ordered from your local toy / model shop at list price, are long-gone.

Fact of life - deal with it!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Fortunately for me, I have virtually no interest in the latest "limited edition" (until the next batch comes from China) "instant collectors item" (which might not be in time if everyone keeps them pristine in their boxes) that gets trumpeted in the press until the next one comes along and various outlets are selling off the remainder at half price.

From what I have read about the performance of a good number of these supposedly working models, many fall at that fence, so probably better left in the box as an "investment".

I'm not in a hurry to pay a premium for something that I will use, modify and lightly weather.

So I really don't have to "deal with it" at all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

So what is profiteering? We all have the option to pre-order models when they are announced.

i] some will pre-order what they'll need;

ii] some will wait and see if they like what is produced, but risk there being no remaining stock from the manufacturer;

iii] and some see it as a business opportunity and, knowing that ii] above will inevitably occur, pre-order a dozen or so, taking the risk that they may only get a proportion of those. Such stock as they do obtain is sold at a mark-up when no-one else has any.

If that is profiteering, then virtually every commercial transaction in the world can be so described! Those of us of a more cautious demeanour nowadays run the risk of being disappointed, or paying over the odds, if they ultimately decide to purchase. The days of the Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang catalogues, which hardly changed from year to year, and the contents of which could always be found at / ordered from your local toy / model shop at list price, are long-gone.

Fact of life - deal with it!

CJI.

John,

what gets me about the eBay sale in question is the claim that the item is "rare" when it is still available from the producer and at a RRP price less than he is selling for. The fact that he is also playing the sympathy card, claiming he has several very ill relatives and is therefore selling his collection - which seemingly included three of this model and at least two of a Dapol loco which he is marketing in the same way, sounds disingenuous to say the least.

Jol

• Agree 10

Thanks Jol, that was what I was alluding to in my comment about profiteering.

How many people selling on eBay like to give some altruistic back story to their listing when people will either think it's a good buy and snap it up, or not?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CHAZ D said:

They appear to be selling it for the owner:-

So I made an offer:-

image.png.76e14e84ad52d47650525b96ab991168.png

image.png

I'm afraid that if that's the way you comminicated with me, I'd just add you to the blocked list. I can certainly see why they didn't want to get into a discussion with you. As it was, they were very civil.

These are toy trains. If you are selling you get to set the price. If you are buying, you get to decide if you wish to pay. I could understand if these were essentials like food or water, but we are talking luxuries. Just walk away if you don't want it at the price offered.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I find this type of advert listing to be more in the madness arena than the high price items most often mentioned in this thread. With a high price offered I either want it badly enough or not.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194801074594?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3Ddf7aa5f2df4346dc9367e6ecee430dad%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D133958067528%26itm%3D194801074594%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb%26brand%3DB%26R&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Reason, I could be tempted to buy these two for the bits, may be make one runner out of the pair plus a spare body shell. Then comes the but, with no mention made as to what is missing internally on either, or from which ever of the pair has the un-photographed chassis, how the ???? is one expected to value it and make a properly assessed bid?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

I dropped him a message just to see if it was sound fitted and mentioned that Hattons still have them new for just over £100 for non sound. No response. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2022 at 17:05, SteveyDee68 said:

And lo it came to pass that two examples of the following have been listed on eBay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/689-Bachmann-32-150Z-Class-N-2-6-0-31874-Brian-Fisk-Mint-In-wooden-box-/353458544884?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Is this a multiple listing of the same item?

I guess that this is a special edition, looking at the wooden case, but what caught my eye was the serial number - 32-150Z …

You see, 32-150 is one of those notorious Zinc Pest (Mazak Rot) affected models. So, if this model

is one of that batch, £230+ seems an awful lot of money for what is effectively a “dead duck”, even if it is a “collector’s item” for some reason!

Incidentally, I’ve received “offers” on all the overpriced items I’ve been watching, including the Mazak Rot affected N class, where £5 was knocked off the asking price (making it £70 for a definitely dud model, as opposed to £60 starting price for other, non-affected models listed elsewhere!)

Steve S

sorry to drag this one up...but couldnt help it....when it says "Brian Fisk Mint in a wooden box" it sounds like he's selling the corpse of brian fisk.

Edited by pheaton
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

I dropped him a message just to see if it was sound fitted and mentioned that Hattons still have them new for just over £100 for non sound. No response. 

I did similar - pointed out they are available new for £120. Equally no response.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Hattons are knocking them out brand new at £115, reduced from £150, so unless this sale is for 3 secondhand ones I can’t really recommend it.  Genuine insanity!

Sorry, I apologise, brand new for £119, which of course makes this offer a much better bargain...

I want to go up the pub with whoever buys this; I probably wouldn't have to put my hand in my pocket all night!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

John,

what gets me about the eBay sale in question is the claim that the item is "rare" when it is still available from the producer and at a RRP price less than he is selling for. The fact that he is also playing the sympathy card, claiming he has several very ill relatives and is therefore selling his collection - which seemingly included three of this model and at least two of a Dapol loco which he is marketing in the same way, sounds disingenuous to say the least.

Jol

Agreed - but it was ever thus; it's just that we now get the sob stories online, instead of from a sad-faced individual knocking on our front door.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Agreed - but it was ever thus; it's just that we now get the sob stories online, instead of from a sad-faced individual knocking on our front door.

CJI.

A friend of mine used to get sad faced individuals knocking on his shop door fairly regularly. 

They were usually crack addicts with stolen bicycles though.

Eventually they understood the go away message.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255375039093?hash=item3b7589da75:g:WjYAAOSwTaRiAT9J

It would 'please' me more if it had four trailing wheels! :locomotive:

Perhaps a case of -.The rear bogie is missing... Ah! Here's one that will fit!

He does seem to go into great detail about how thoroughly he checks the locos over.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, definitely a bit odd beneath the bunker.  The original 4-wheeled boge has been replaced by what looks like a Hornby pony off of something.  Not so far gone as to be a complete write off, though, and if a suitable bogie and a Baccy 4F chassis could be sourced and rewheeled, poterntially a nice little flatiron.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

It's far from junk and at a 99p start deserves to make a fair price. I do like flatiron tanks, though it would be a real stretch of rule #1 to have one on my layout.

Flatirons would be unlikely on my proposed layout, however, I would suggest one or two transferred for freight use before final withdrawal of the class.

• Like 2