Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Remember those Hits on 45/ Stars on 45 compilations too? I had a couple on cassette in the 1980s.

There was also a pun 45 called “Ska’s on 45” by the Ska-Dows back in the 80s when it was a popular genre. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The rest can confidently be made into novelty plant pots for the good of mankind I presume?

Place the L.P., single or E.P centrally over a bowl. Then place in a pre heated oven. After a shortwhile the vinyl will melt into the bowl. Remove from the oven let it cool down and voila a bowl shaped record.

(Or something along those lines. I have never actually done it myself, but read about it somewhere).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

Place the L.P., single or E.P centrally over a bowl. Then place in a pre heated oven. After a shortwhile the vinyl will melt into the bowl. Remove from the oven let it cool down and voila a bowl shaped record.

(Or something along those lines. I have never actually done it myself, but read about it somewhere).

It must over half a century since I heard of anybody doing that - that's how long my grandma has been dead.  She made a lot of old 78s into vases like that. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It must over half a century since I heard of anybody doing that - that's how long my grandma has been dead.  She made a lot of old 78s into vases like that. 

I can't remember where I read it. I have a David Bowie lets dance LP I've been meaning to turn into an ash tray for about 16 years. I have never got round to it though.

Edited by PieGuyRob
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think actually it depends upon the vinyl. For example American vinyl is not the same as European vinyl. 78s would work well I suspect, as would the earlier vinyls but the modern type would probably crinkle rather than lie smooth. 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

I can't remember where I read it. I have a David Bowie lets dance LP I've been meaning to turn into an ash tray for about 16 years. I have never got round to it though.

This my coaster in the home office. 

A rare-ish blues EP from the early days of the Stones but it was like frying bacon so fit for the bin! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The rest can confidently be made into novelty plant pots for the good of mankind I presume?

I'll plead guilty to starting this one, but the proliferation is on you lot....😉

• Funny 4

8 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Remember those Hits on 45/ Stars on 45 compilations too? I had a couple on cassette in the 1980s.

There was also a pun 45 called “Ska’s on 45” by the Ska-Dows back in the 80s when it was a popular genre. 

The Stars on 45 phenomenon was actually started in 1979 with a white-label 12" disco single called "Sounds of the 80's" which included the Beatles medley with the electronic handclap. Due to copyright reasons The Beatles didn't give permission for it to be released, but as I had DeeJay connections I managed to get 5 copies of it. About a year or so later the durch group known as Starsound done their version of the same medley which I must admit is a very good copy sound-wise of the originals. That then set the trend of medleys for the next few years! In fact I played the original 12" disc to a local record shop owner who swore it wasn't The Beatles. Like the man at Decca who turned down said group in 1961, he wasn't interested in buying a couple of my records, now worth "quite a bit" so I believe.

Anyway, what's all this got to do with trains??

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I thought the process involved hot water rather than using an oven. 

On 05/05/2022 at 14:10, PieGuyRob said:

On 05/05/2022 at 15:17, Michael Hodgson said:

On 05/05/2022 at 20:48, roythebus1 said:

The Stars on 45 phenomenon was actually started in 1979 with a white-label 12" disco single called "Sounds of the 80's" which included the Beatles medley with the electronic handclap. Due to copyright reasons The Beatles didn't give permission for it to be released, but as I had DeeJay connections I managed to get 5 copies of it. About a year or so later the durch group known as Starsound done their version of the same medley which I must admit is a very good copy sound-wise of the originals. That then set the trend of medleys for the next few years! In fact I played the original 12" disc to a local record shop owner who swore it wasn't The Beatles. Like the man at Decca who turned down said group in 1961, he wasn't interested in buying a couple of my records, now worth "quite a bit" so I believe.

Anyway, what's all this got to do with trains??

On 05/05/2022 at 22:33, PhilJ W said:

I thought the process involved hot water rather than using an oven. 

I've bundled this up into one compilation comment...

I've had the plant pot conversion described to me as a recycling method for old 78s, but I've never tried it myself as the 78s I have are my dad's jazz record collection from the 30s! Definitely not dance band fodder.... 

In old-fashioned dental technology, initial baseplates for dentures, to hold wax rims for registration and setting teeth on for trial fitting were made from pink shellac, which was warmed and moulded over a plaster model of the patients mouth. An accurate impression of the upper or lower jaw was obtained from a vague initial model by creating an impression tray over it using a thicker grade of shellac, finished by bending up and melting a wire handle into the tray for the dentist to get a grip of and get a more accurate impression.

But I digress...  :-)

Wouldn't vinyl records contract into a blob if immersed in hot water due to elastic memory? I've seen a water bottle (one of the fancy rehydration types) go a most peculiar shape after being put in a dishwasher! You'd probably have to have a circular clamp around the perimeter to hold the "softened" plastic in shape before pulling it down over the mould.

The problem with getting old records to play with is that charity shops now price things against eBay, which is definitely madness!

Pop medleys probably "started" in the early 60s with the comedy efforts of The Barron Knights who, amazingly, are still going, though they have promised to pocket their plectrums at the end of November.

https://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/news/people/leighton-buzzard-band-the-barron-knights-announce-last-ever-tour-3609850

Anyhow, it's nothing to do with trains, but it's all tangential to eBay Madness!

• Like 2

Pop medleys go back to the 1920s and before. In the 1940s Spike Jones and his City Slickers done a few, usually as parodies of hits of the day; in the 1950s there were the Winifred Atwell Piano medleys as well as various groups doing medleys; then the Barron Knights in the 60s doing their parody medleys, with the "stars on 45" medleys setting the trend for the late 1970s with their synthetic handclaps. There's nothing new is there?

Anyway, I've just won a photo postcard of Heathrow Airport on eBay, now trying to remember what my password is to pay for it!

• Like 3

There isn't, is there! Of course, there was The Savoy Orpheans medley of Christmas Carols from the mid-20s, which would make it nearly a century ago. I've not got an original copy of that, but I do have it on a compilation album of Savoy Orpheans/Havana Band recordings. There's a term for the practice in Classical music too, Quodlibet, which shows its been going on for longer than anyone can remember!

Thread drift, eh?  :-)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Must have had a cheap fees offer and used the photo as a place holder until he can upload the correct photo. He has another tile photo further down his listings.

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Is "Travellers Coach" the politically correct way to refer to a gypsy caravan these days?

Only until Friday, then the rules will change, but you're not allowed to know what they are changing to.

I think that is how it works?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1