Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I resisted the urge to buy a Bing vertical boiler oscillating engine last week. Reason told me to consider what I was actually going to do with it?

You could hypnotise yourself watching it oscillate?

Buy another, buy another...

• Funny 5

It needs to drive something if it's not going to become an expensive ornament, then you're into collecting the matching machinery and building a model sawmill.

It's a potential trip down the rabbit hole...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

You could hypnotise yourself watching it oscillate?

Buy another, buy another...

Not unlike watching a tiny train go round and round and round for no good reason, really….no, hang on

🤫

• Funny 4

9 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Not unlike watching a tiny train go round and round and round for no good reason, really….no, hang on

🤫

I wouldn't pull at that thread too much, we might all have to find another hobby!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, 40152 said:

🤫

51 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I wouldn't pull at that thread too much, we might all have to find another hobby!

The accepted fiction is that the train leaves Euston, the first loop passes through Crewe, the second Carlisle and the third arrives at Glasgow. Admittedly credence is stretched a tad if you use a maroon Jinty and a couple of custard'n'cream mk1s, though verisimilitude may be attempted by changing the Jinty for a Smokey Joe in Caledonian livery at "Carlisle"....

• Funny 5

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The accepted fiction is that the train leaves Euston, the first loop passes through Crewe, the second Carlisle and the third arrives at Glasgow. Admittedly credence is stretched a tad if you use a maroon Jinty and a couple of custard'n'cream mk1s, though verisimilitude may be attempted by changing the Jinty for a Smokey Joe in Caledonian livery at "Carlisle"....

And your problem is?

🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Given the speed capabilities of a Smokey Joe, I think that you're better off with French TGV livery?

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

49 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Given the speed capabilities of a Smokey Joe, I think that you're better off with French TGV livery?

Depending on the "Smokey Joe", you could probably get a Delorean "back to the future" in 50 yards...

I think Oxford might do a Delorean, put it on a Lowmac and see what happens!

Edited by Hroth
Extra value thort...
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 27/08/2022 at 09:40, The Johnster said:

Ox toad’s brakes are in line with wheels, but of course it’s a different prototype with a shorter wheelbase and questionable cabin end windows.   Excellent vfm though!

The questionable end windows probably came about as the manufacturer measured up one on a heritage railway, that had been modified as a propelling observation and brake van.

Using a Hornby example, we modified ours.

There are extra lamp irons on the sides, which were removed early on...these should not be there...so we removed them...

Screenshot_20220830-123130_Chrome.jpg.3df7d7a6d648f227dbc5609c2b6a61a7.jpg

Screenshot_20220830-123047_Chrome.jpg.505e47efc1f7eeba0b916238f8480230.jpg

Also, the lower ends should be plated, like the sides, it seems...

Not the best job, but plastic card plates were added...

Screenshot_20220830-123227_Chrome.jpg.780c3b2fc795a66d5b4453b0fce8b76c.jpg

We should have used thinner plastic card  🤷🏼‍♀️

Screenshot_20220830-123305_Chrome.jpg.6bf2ec85af173cb31839d13d43f30586.jpg

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typi
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Just found these beauties...

Probably mis typed but even so...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284931513821

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325321156405

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374203817807

I've stripped the unnecessary ebay verbiage...

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looking at these prices, everyone will think we are all millionaires! 🥸

Yep, a tad overheated pricewise....

Even if its just a case of over excited decimal points, they're still over-optimistic!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Not an eBay auction, but L@@k RARE!!! , BBC report of sale of 3 O gauge locos* that realised a total of £25,000.  Sounds like there was the sort of bidding frenzy that we're all familiar with on eBay, though the models look extremely desirable.

Well out of my price bracket!

(The reporting is a bit confused on facts about the models, btw)

* Kitbuilt too... 

Edited by Hroth
Minor update
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Not an eBay auction, but L@@k RARE!!! , BBC report of sale of 3 O gauge locos* that realised a total of £25,000.  Sounds like there was the sort of bidding frenzy that we're all familiar with on eBay, though the models look extremely desirable.

* Kitbuilt too... 

Yes, but they're Beeson. Most paintings of sunflowers will go for about £20 but if it's got van Gogh's name on it...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

* Kitbuilt too... 

"James Stanley Beeson (1909-1990) (a.k.a. "Stan Beeson", or just "Beeson") has been described as possibly the greatest railway modelmaker of the Twentieth Century.

Beeson made model locomotives, and sold them himself ("Locomotives by Beeson"), and through a few of the various UK model railway suppliers, who would sell them under their own brandnames.

Beeson's pieces, even his earlier and more simply-constructed locos, were superlatively good - there was something about the look of a Beeson-built loco that just stopped you in your tracks. You might not be able to put your finger on what made the item look so special, but you could tell that it wasn't a standard piece. A perfectionist who took a jeweller's approach to his metalworking, Beeson made his own complex parts including wheels, and did his own paintwork. Although he built locos in batches, these were individually handcrafted pieces that wouldn't leave Beeson's studio until he was completely satisfied with them - some of his later pieces are considered to be practically the equivalent of Fabergé eggs in terms of metalcrafting excellence." (Brighton Toy Museum)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"James Stanley Beeson (1909-1990) (a.k.a. "Stan Beeson", or just "Beeson") has been described as possibly the greatest railway modelmaker of the Twentieth Century.

Beeson made model locomotives, and sold them himself ("Locomotives by Beeson"), and through a few of the various UK model railway suppliers, who would sell them under their own brandnames.

Beeson's pieces, even his earlier and more simply-constructed locos, were superlatively good - there was something about the look of a Beeson-built loco that just stopped you in your tracks. You might not be able to put your finger on what made the item look so special, but you could tell that it wasn't a standard piece. A perfectionist who took a jeweller's approach to his metalworking, Beeson made his own complex parts including wheels, and did his own paintwork. Although he built locos in batches, these were individually handcrafted pieces that wouldn't leave Beeson's studio until he was completely satisfied with them - some of his later pieces are considered to be practically the equivalent of Fabergé eggs in terms of metalcrafting excellence." (Brighton Toy Museum)

Separate thread here:

Edited by rab
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 31/08/2022 at 02:44, The Johnster said:

You need to fill in the lamp bracket holes or the guard’ll be complaining about the draughts, Ruffster!

Thanks @The Johnster.🙂

They were filled, but not enough! 🤷🏼‍♀️

The paint revealed that...

It's on the jobs list, along with replacement lettering and numbers...

Our BR stock grey turned out to be another of those multiple shades of grey, so the patch painting became a total repaint! 🤷🏼‍♀️

And there's another waiting for attention too. 🙂

(We've been busy playing trains with Peter Waterman lately.😉😀)

20220816_105222.jpg.120c90bb38183ae2f83ca31fb6957a8e.jpg

20220628_114142.jpg.124e3fa81cf71e5aa7bb4ce02e8c31c9.jpg

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

• Like 5

@Ruffnut Thorstonjust checked to make sure I wasn't in the photo... 🙂

When I was there, there was a minor problem with something shorting the DCC supply, bringing trains to a halt...  PW seemed to be getting a bit short too! A container train also became divided on the main line, resulting in the PW hand-of-god being deployed to recouple it!

Apart from that, I had an enjoyable 30 minutes or so watching the trains go by with plenty of variety.

I was try to remember the date I was there, it was the day of the first rail strike, It was Thursday, the 18th. I commented that it was good to see trains running on the WCML...

Like SteveyDee68 and big jim I spotted the plaits and didn't make the connection!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Thanks @The Johnster.🙂

They were filled, but not enough! 🤷🏼‍♀️

The paint revealed that...

It's on the jobs list, along with replacement lettering and numbers...

Our BR stock grey turned out to be another of those multiple shades of grey, so the patch painting became a total repaint! 🤷🏼‍♀️

And there's another waiting for attention too. 🙂

(We've been busy playing trains with Peter Waterman lately.😉😀)

20220816_105222.jpg.120c90bb38183ae2f83ca31fb6957a8e.jpg

20220628_114142.jpg.124e3fa81cf71e5aa7bb4ce02e8c31c9.jpg

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Oh my goodness?! You were operating on Wednesday afternoon when I visited around 2pm with my mother in tow! She made several positive comments about the operators (including admiring somebody’s plaited hair!) before even noticing that there was a layout present!!

If I had known it was you, I would have introduced myself!!

Steve S

SteveyDee68

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

If I had known it was you, I would have introduced myself!!

Same here, I didn’t know it was with @Ruffnut Thorston either! 

I was there Wednesday too, overweight bloke in cycling gear, I left about 2pm, I did pass a tall gentleman with a shorter elderly lady in a white cardy/jumper on my way out of the cathedral, wonder if that was you? 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Same here, I didn’t know it was with @Ruffnut Thorston either! 

I was there Wednesday too, overweight bloke in cycling gear, I left about 2pm, I did pass a tall gentleman with a shorter elderly lady in a white cardy/jumper on my way out of the cathedral, wonder if that was you? 

If it was, then it is the first time I’ve ever been described as tall! 😁

My mum did have a white cardigan, but wasn’t wearing it when we got to the cathedral as it was quite warm outside!!

Steve S

• Like 2