EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

41 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Ha ha love it (again for clarity, the description, not the WI bake)

However, £30 starting? I'm assuming most of that is for the original box?

If it is indeed a cake, would a tin be more suitable than a box? (Asking for a fiend!)

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Dunno what the main chassis might be, but the bogie is from a GWR King!

If I really wanted a GT3, I think I'd start with a bargain box Black 5 and a quantity of thickish styrene sheet, rather than a brown banana...

This is what it should look like.

Longitudenally straight....

Edited by Hroth
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If you recall, it was mentioned not too long ago that the most basic way to test an OO gauge loco was to apply a PP3 battery to the wheels. This should be enough power to show if the loco was functional.

I've just done this with a number of online purchases including a Mainline 37-050 Sulzer Type 4 (AKA Peak), a Lima L205222 EE Type 3, a Hornby R.157 Diesel Railcar and a Hornby R2094 J94. All worked well (allowing for age/motor inefficiencies) as I expected they would!  I also had a length of flexitrack to hand and ran them up and down on that too, placing the battery terminals across the rails.

I may well create a little testing diorama using the flexitrack and a simple controller using a small plastic box, a DPDT switch to reverse the power, a snap-on battery connector and a pushbutton to activate it.

Fun, eh?

🤣

• Craftsmanship/clever 4

Not eBay, but Hattons lister is apparently going down the eBay route*.

Kitbuilt?

Its a Triang R157 Light DMU, "converted" into a Class 121.   Stick a face on each end and it would be better as a TtTE "Daisy"....

Well, that went quickly!  Sold and delisted in 5 minutes.  I suppose £25 inc delivery is good for a Triang motor bogie, and ditch the body...

* I think you know who I mean....  ;-)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Sixty sheets for a face? Vascularized Composite Tissue Allotransplantation?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

For half of that you can get a Hornby one much better than the ex-Mainline tooled Bachmann, with separate handrails, brakes in line with the wheels, and proper lamp brackets.   But TTTE stuff commands premiums; not so much for of it’s quality, but rather because if you have a 4-year old who wants a TTTE toad and there aren’t any in the shops, the only way to pacify the little treasure is to get one on eBayno matter how much it costs, and the sellers know this!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 24/08/2022 at 22:35, Hroth said:

Dunno what the main chassis might be, but the bogie is from a GWR King!

If I really wanted a GT3, I think I'd start with a bargain box Black 5 and a quantity of thickish styrene sheet, rather than a brown banana...

This is what it should look like.

Longitudenally straight....

IIRC the Golden Arrow kit was designed around a Hornby 8F chassis. Its a while since I looked at the Golden Arrow range however (I think they're still selling resin bodies on ebay occasionally and did go to ExpoEM before the pandemic, not sure if they still do).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

For half of that you can get a Hornby one much better than the ex-Mainline tooled Bachmann, with separate handrails, brakes in line with the wheels, and proper lamp brackets.   But TTTE stuff commands premiums; not so much for of it’s quality, but rather because if you have a 4-year old who wants a TTTE toad and there aren’t any in the shops, the only way to pacify the little treasure is to get one on eBayno matter how much it costs, and the sellers know this!

And for £15 you can have an Oxford Rail Toad in either 4 or 6 wheel guise, also with separate handrails and proper lamp brackets. I don't know about the brakes though*...  Its even possible to get inexpensive TtTE "style" faces on eBay to apply to the rolling stock of your choice so an Oxford Toad and a "face" should undercut the eBay offering above by at least 60%.  However applying a face to a Toad might be classed as modelling** and scare the lazyminded off.

* Here's an Oxford Toad from Hattons website, the brakeshoes look pretty good.

1890381108_SmallToad.jpg.8c76c9f88d9c46e9805ff18b002cc448.jpg

https://www.hattons.co.uk/254709/oxford_rail_or76tob004_4_wheel_toad_brake_van_w56449_in_br_grey_bala_/stockdetail

** Or kitbuilding, which is worse....  L@@K RARE!!! 

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

34 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

I don't think it's DCC fitted.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't think it's DCC fitted.

it has electric lights, so there's the possibility it is. I suspect it also has sound, but probably needs a service before trying that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

7 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

I think I'd like to know a little more about the condition of the box. And does the seller have enough bubble-wrap??

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 5

The vendor describes it as a Henschol, not a manufacturer I've heard of, unlike Bachmann or Hornby. Are they any good, especially for spares?  And whoever did the weathering was a bit ham-handed....

• Like 3
  • Funny 1